WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Doxa "pre-sub300" a couple of years ago. Althoough it was verified by the fine folks at Doxa that it was indeed genuine and not a "Franken", I never could find anything to substantiate that it actually was the Real McCoy. A couple of weeks ago, Poorman emailed me a photo from an Italian language Doxa catalog. It was my watch! Same model number 11804 (mine is 11804-4) only discernable difference is the dial. Mine has Automatic above the 6 the catalog model doesn't have anything there.

What is amazing to me is the bits and pieces of Doxa history, different model variations,etc. which keep turning up. I think that often we tend to rule out the unknown, "it's obviously a redial, franken, etc.", only later to find out that it was the real thing. Amazing watches with a great history that is becoming more complete as time goes on.

Reactions: asdf1230

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
That is really cool. Thanks for the interesting info and the great pic of the magazine advertisement..........

·
Registered
656 Posts
Old catalogs/magazines contain all kinds of cool adverts. You never know what you'll find.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
look at those twisted lugs, that remind you of another watch?

as a collector of vintage watches, you should be used to these surprises by now, Arthur.
:)
DW

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Very cool Arthur! Any thoughts of getting a refurb done, or are you gonna keep the WABI and stick with it all-original? (Man, that would look sweeeeeet if it was clean and NOS-looking.....)

Paul

·
Registered
361 Posts
Arthur, thanks for the info.
Paul I believe he should keep it as it is, with the wabi.
There will definetly be something restored around some day but such a nice aged watch even with the broken lume on one hand is hard to come by these days.

I think it wears his age with pride .

Regards Bernie

·
Registered
294 Posts
Cool watch indeed. It struck me, looking at that, that the case and particularly the lugs are a little like a Speedmaster Pro (happen to have one on and did a double take).
Love to see it (carefully) refurbished.
Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks for all the comments. When I bought the watch, several vintage watch collectors thought that it was a "Franken" made with an Omega Seamaster 300 case, as they look similar, but the dimensions are not the same.

I actually have had the watch cleaned oiled and adjusted as well as having the broken lume on the hour hand repaired. I decided to not have it re-lumed, dial restored, etc. Probably couldn't restore the bezel, and I'm sure finding a NOS bezel for this watch would be as close to impossible as it gets.

I'll take some new photos of the watch today and post them along with the measurements.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Great find. Sound like this one will be in the next time Doc Pet revises the Doxa Book. Lovely curved lug design. Very reminiscent of the modern Omega Planet Ocean and various seiko diver models. When does your watch date back to?

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are photos of the pre-sub after the hand repair. I have it on a hollow link, unsigned (non Rolex) Oyster Fliplock bracelet.

It is in Dr. Pete's book page 262

Thanks
Arthur

1 - 12 of 12 Posts