WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

This is the first time I venture into the realms of (really) old watches and I have had difficulties in finding any information about this pretty Omega, which is for sale at a local auction site:

Omegafront.jpg

Omegamovement.jpg

Apparently it has a 30mm Ø and is made of silver - I think the dial is lovely! Looks like the hands have been relumed at some point and the crown is a replacement. It is sold as needing a service.

Can anyone tell me about the movement? The dial variant? Where should I go to find out more?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Hi and welcome
That is a very nice original piece. Dial and hands look 100% original.
Movement nice and clean
Metal dial, fixed lugs, cushion shape!

1929 = Serial number 7 million
1935 = Serial number 8 million

So I date yours to early 1930s/1931

Its a nice piece Go for it!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Currently the watch is at roughly 100 EUR, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much it'll be at the end of the auction (late this weekend).

How about servicing the watch? I'd hazard a guess that it ought to be rather simple, but spares and the such? Also, is finding a (more) correct crown possible?

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
Thank you for the warm welcome.

Currently the watch is at roughly 100 EUR, so I'm looking forward to seeing how much it'll be at the end of the auction (late this weekend).

How about servicing the watch? I'd hazard a guess that it ought to be rather simple, but spares and the such? Also, is finding a (more) correct crown possible?
Well movement looks clean
So if watch is running a basic clean and service - $150?

I think it will go for a bit more than 100 Euros.
It surely in my opinion is worth more than that.
So good luck, if you can purchase below 300 Euros, I think a very nice deal.
Its a lovely early Omega cushion shape piece.

Post back your result!
Sincerely
Adam

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Servicing costs, especially for a relativley simple movement like this one, can vary widely; Adam's guess is a good average for major centers, but since a lot of the price is the Watchmaker's need to cover his overhead (rent, utilities, etc) you'll often find that watchmakers in smaller centers or those that work out of their homes will do simple stuff like this for less. Omega was one of the more prolific makers, so parts are relatively easy to come by. But always remember that you get what you pay for; you could pay $50 for a basic cleaning and find the watch comes back with scratches, and only keeps time to +/- 1 minute a day, or you could spend $400-500 and it back clean, with new crystal, mainspring, and keeping time to +/- 5 seconds per day. Time is also a factor; watchmakers are an increasingly rare breed, and the good ones quickly find their dance cards full. Some of the best ones have waiting lists measured in years for servicing watches.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The watch ended up going for a higher price than I was willing to pay - a bittersweet feeling, as I'm sure that the price was very fair; I just wasn't ready to pay that sort of money at the moment. Oh well, I'm in no hurry, something else will come along for sure!

I really appreciate the replies, thank you very much.

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
The watch ended up going for a higher price than I was willing to pay - a bittersweet feeling, as I'm sure that the price was very fair; I just wasn't ready to pay that sort of money at the moment. Oh well, I'm in no hurry, something else will come along for sure!

I really appreciate the replies, thank you very much.
Do not feel so bad.
I too in last 10 minutes lost out on a lovely 1915s Omega. Truly Beautiful, sadly (for me) two novice bidders (3 profiles versus 0) faught it out.
The 'zero' profile bidder one.
He wanted that piece. I hope he appreciates it.

You win a few you lose a few.

Regards

Reactions: ConElPueblo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts