WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a pre-owned B1 with the reference number A68362 which i know dates the watch between 2000 and 2003.
(This info gained from the excellent B1 site by Don Indiano)

My question is: can i contact Breitling with the individual serial number and get a precise manufacture date? Only really out of curiosity, but it would be nice to know that it's only 4 years old and not 7.

Also when i brought it i was told by the dealer (very reputible) that it had been given a brand new movement because of a problem with the lower digital display.

Would Breitling also keep records of this replacement?

I don't know if Breitling would give out this sort of information without some sort of proof of ownership, but if they do has anyone got any contact details.

I have only had mine for a week, and am loving it, - i have had several people comment on it.

Sorry to go on, but i would love to know a bit more about it.
There are many like it, - but this one is MINE

Many thanks for any help
Nick

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
sorry, I don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure one of the forum experts will be along in a mo.

In the meantime, welcome to the B-1 club! Depending on who you talk to it's one of the finest Breitlings ever made and a thing of beauty, or an electric abomination intruding upon their mechanical ticking world that smells vaguely of fine Scotch, antique leather and old pipe tobacco! I'm not going to start THAT discussion again!!;-)

I'm firmly in the former camp, my B-1 is also a thing of beauty. Enjoy it for many years and be prepared to post pics, they're going to want some!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Rik. I always knew that i wanted a blue dial Analogue/Digital display. One day on holiday in Portugal a pipe burst in our apartment. The guy who came to fix it, (a retired ex-pat friend of the owner) turned up wearing an Areospace. I saw it and thought this is the watch i have to have. When i started searching for one, i discovered the B1. This watch epitomises everything i was looking for in a watch, and i have waited/searched for one for two years. The one i have now is absolutely stunning, even though it's not new and superquartz.

I have taken many photos on my knackered 3 mega pixel camera, but none of them do the watch any justice. I am also in awe of some of the pictures i have seen of B1's on these forums, and won't get anywhere near that quality.

Also being new to these forums, it seems to me that the B1 is a stalwart of many peoples collections.

If i can take any good shots of it, i will show you that even an older model retains all it's beauty.

Nick

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Hi trueblue40

Firstly, I am no Breitling expert, however...........

Fairly simple this one. If you ( or your AD) remove the bracelet from the south (6 o'clock) side of the case, on the case of the watch between the south interhorns you will see four numbers. For example "0402".

The first two numbers are the week of the year and the second two are the year, so "0402" would be the fourth week of 2002, therefore the end of January 2002.

Hope this helps.

Regards and

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Don't worry about the quality of the pics, some of the guys on here are magicians it's true (eagle and ron spring to mind, and then there's don, and davey, and lou . . . ) but my pics are usually done on my mobile phone because I'm usually too lazy to walk across the room to where my camera is!!!

Congratulations for getting the B-1 after a long search, they're a discontinued breed and you've got one. Well done.

·
Registered
176 Posts
True Hi:

Try this option, and call Mrs. Morgan of Breitling Swiss.
I hope She can help you trace your watch.
+41-32-6545454
The question is on what resolution breitling service centers keep track of the watch service and whether the service database of USA and Europe are unified.

abe.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi TicTacman. Many thanks for that. I've just given her a call, and she had my B1 on record. It was delivered to Holland in 1999 and is registered with Breitling, so she said i can be 99.99% sure that it's genuine.

I have now talked with Breitling UK and Breitling Swiss,- and i must say how impressed i am with the courtesy, and helpfulness of the people i have spoken with.

It seems the Breitling quality extends much further than their watches.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Oh dear, the Breitling Swiss lady can only be 99.99% certain your B-1 is the genuine article:-s and that it was delivered to Holland in 1999. So if that was January 1999 it could be as old as a 1998 model.

If you carry out the directions as I described earlier in this post, you'll find out if it's 100% genuine:roll: and exactly the week and year it was made. Which is what your thread title is asking. (Precise dating.....etc

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
14,078 Posts
If you carry out the directions as I described earlier in this post, you'll find out if it's 100% genuine:roll: and exactly the week and year it was made. Which is what your thread title is asking. (Precise dating.....etc
Or you could have even looked at the "articles" at the top of the forum page which has had "Breitling Production Date" as a headline since May 17th. Some readers repeatedly ask and answer questions on the forum which have been previously expounded upon in detail via the "articles", "images" or "reviews" sections listed above. Sometimes fun to see how long before they notice the sections above. LOL. ;-):-d
Cheers,
Ron

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yes Ron.

Every day is a school day:-d

Regards

·
Registered
176 Posts
Guys!
Just one more thing you should take note about production dates. is that sometimes a watch can under go a service as in my B1 case that the middle watch case was replaced with a case bearing date: 4604B instead of the XX05B originally. besides my watch went a complete movement overhaul including the brain +Dial+hands.( due to electroplating anomalies )
The only thing remained original was the bracelet and the original back serial number. my watch is now accurate +2.7sec/year.

abe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts