WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Precista PRS-3 Initial Review

Just received the Precista PRS-3 from Eddie Platts of England.

I have to say that I am very impressed. The package was sent in an indestructible box with plastic bags of air holding the Banda 2-watch case and an envelope inside. I wish more watch retailers on-line would package their watches for shipment so securely.

Upon looking at the watch the first thing one notice is the dial and case. I will comment on the case first. I think the thing that impresses me most about this watch is the case. The polished planes on the watch are so well done it reminds me of some very high end watches I had in the past. There is a difference in finishing and this case is very well finished. The finishing on this watch feels expensive. It reminds me of the Seiko Sumo but better. I would say it is up there with Doxa and other high end watches. I say Doxa because of the cushion case. The thing that is so remarkable about this case is it say 42mm in diam. But feels like 44mm. It wears very large, even feels thicker than the 12.45mm. Yet because it is 42mm in diam it wears very comfortably. It is a heavy watch, you feel it but it is not oppressive. I feel I could be out in harsh environments getting work done and the watch would still be comfortable. It really reminds me of the Doxa case or the Seiko Sumo, Marine Master in terms of shape and planes of shiny metal as well as the similar standard of finishing.

The case back is all high polished steel. It has a deeply engraved lettering PRS3LE on top and WR 30 bar on the bottom and the word Precista in the middle. The word Precista is in script and is lined up with the crown at 3 o’clock. A very classic case back. In line with the rest of the simplistic and classic design.

The bezel is 3mm tall and 6 mm wide. The bezel has stirred up some controversy with many saying it is too busy. I would agree that I prefer an elapsed time bezel. However, because this is a Limited Edition it is nice to have something that is different. I have never seen a bezel insert like this. It is a little busy but it also adds to the uniqueness of the watch in my opinion so I do not mind it. The polished bezel grips very nicely and turns smoothly. It has a little play but nothing that is bothersome and it lines up perfectly for me. The printing on the insert is very well done. There is just the slightest mark at the top of the lume triangle at 12 o’clock. I would have preferred the bezel to be another mm or two taller but as bezels go this one is above average but not as good as say, Doxa or MM.

The crown is large about 8mm in diam maybe larger and about 4mm thick and has a cursive P. The edge of the crown is scalloped. I would prefer the more traditional crown instead of the scalloped version but it still is very nice. The function on this crown is one of the best I have used. It screws down very, very smooth. I simply can’t fully describe how smooth this crown works. The best I have used on any watch thus far!!

The Crystal is 3mm sapphire with a ar coating underneath. Seems there are a few ways to do an ar treatment on a sapphire crystal and so far the one used on this watch seems to be the one of the most effective I have had.

The dial is the classic MOD dial with a date window at 6 o’clock. Most watches with this dial have a date window at 3 o’clock. Seems of little significance to me where it is. I do like the fact the date wheel is white on black instead of the other way around. The markers, minute hash marks and numbers and lettering are very well done. The only wording is “Presista” near the 12 o’clock and “Great Britain” underneath the 6 o’ clock marker. I love the simplicity of the dial. I hate a bunch of useless text cluttering the dial. The dial is a work of art. The hands are very well made and look very nice. I would have preferred the classic sword hands in silver but the hands on this are very nice. No complaints here. What has been a disappointment for me has been the lume. The lume on this watch is just barely enough to be functional. It glows but not very bright and it is legible throughout the night if you squint. Personally, I think this is an area for improvement. The PRS-18a is like many Seiko’s in terms of its glow and brightness. I was hoping for a similar glow in this watch. The dial and hand set are really nice and feel timeless.

The bracelet. It is a 4mm thick by 22mm wide non tapering solid stainless steel bracelet with solid end links. The bracelet is completely brushed. As picky as I am I would have preferred the sides of the bracelet to be polished to match the case. That said the bracelet is very well made. It has a very high standard of finishing. It also has a machined piece of steel for a diver’s extension hidden in the clasp. The Seiko Corp. should seriously borrow this design as the Sumo divers extension is a serious let down!! The clasp is standard friction type with safety. It is brushed and not signed. A signed bracelet would be nice but no biggie. Overall I am very pleased with the bracelet it is obvious that it is well made.

All in all I am very happy with the watch. There are things that I would have liked done differently and the lume is a disappointment for me. On initial inspection I was a little let down to see marks on the custom end links. First I thought it was from the way the watch sits in the Banda case but Eddie had wrapped the watch in a polishing cloth and both end links have the same marks. Rather frustrating for a brand new L.E. watch.

In the end this is a watch I am very happy to own. The design is a classic and the build quality is among the best I have seen. I heard there were a few LE's in Black and Blue still available if interested. To me for the price I paid this is one of the best deals I have ever had on a new watch. No it was not cheap and I sold the only two watches I bought and owned at the time to own it but I feel it was well worth it.

I will post pics when I get the time and a follow up review when some time passes.

R

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Good review. Have to agree with you there.
Here's my Bluey which I put back in the box after taking a few pics. Being normally a Black dial man, this ones just a little too blue for me.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Good review, Thanks!

Great watch at a fair price. The lack of a countdown bezel is what kept me from purchasing the black one. The regular version of the PRS-3 will have a black dial with white framed plongeur hands but a regular elapsed time bezel insert:-! Too bad it will not have the orange plongeur minute hand<|

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Rob that's a hell of lot text without pics, looking forward to some! :-d Congrats on the watch mate, I hear Eddie does fine work!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I've liked this watch for some time and it looks awesome. Congrats. The only thing keeping me from it is the what appear to be very flat indices. I like raised or applied indices.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts