WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WWIEarlyLadyWristlet_zps97a6df5b_1024x1024.jpg

https://thespringbar.com/blogs/guides/nato-straps-to-wwi

Some would argue that the NATO wrist straps did not exist in WWI, but in fact their grandfather straps were in existence prior to, and after, WWI. The DNA for NATO wrist straps was well developed by the end of WWI.

The development of NATO wrist straps is part of the evolution of the military watch. Watches were a critical requirement for military manoeuvres and the wrist watch was essentially spawned, and became prevalent, in WWI.

In this article, we have detailed the progress of early military straps towards the modern NATO. Hope you guys enjoy reading this one as much as we did writing it.
;-)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice write up and link. I do not own any WWI era Pocket Watches but was aware of the application/adaption of wristwatch during the great war as the wristlet was a watch that women wore during that period of time.

I have a 1918 Waltham with a "17 Jewel Lady Waltham Movement"... and a WWI wristwatch advertisement outlining the aforementioned movement. I have with 2 excellent reproduction kitchener straps, one in black that I use when wearing a Tux and another Kitchener strap in brown for my nice suit. I do keep off the crystal guard in both cases.... in fact I never wear it with it on as I only wear the Waltham as my dress watch.

Talk about a conversation starter :)

"DocM"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts