WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what others feel is their preferred number of watches to wear on a rotation. Though I have a collection of 6 watches I personally find myself only rotating between any 2 at a given time. For me I seem to only keep any 2 watches running at any given time. The other 4 are sitting my watch box not running until my temperament changes and I switch one from the box to my rotation. Curious as to what others on the forum do?

·
Registered
637 Posts
Very similar to you. I wear a DateJust (or more recently a 114200 Air King, last of the 34mm) to the office Monday to Friday, and a Submariner No Date Ceramic at weekends. Once a month or so I will wear a vintage watch for a day, or on the odd weekend I will wear a Polar Explorer 2, but I doubt if that has been worn more than 2 days this year.

Habit I guess.

Reactions: Woolrich

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a dozen. Dress watches are worn less than others because I have few dressy occasions but nevertheless I’ll take them out from time to time just to exercise them for a couple of days. The others I’ll wear for between five and ten consecutive days, changing them on the basis of ‘what do I fancy wearing next’ basis when I open the watch box. No watches are kept running whilst not on the wrist.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Thinking about it now, Ill divide my 10 watches into 3 tiers:

Tier 1 - 3 watches that I wear the most, and see the most wrist time; I switched between them base on my mood.
Tier 2 - 4 watches, they get 1 week wrist time on average when I miss them.
Tier 3 - 3 watches, they go for a long time without wrist time; those are gifted watches that Ill keep them around for that reason and never let go.

Reactions: ffritz and kepa

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I think 8 watches is my sweet spot. I'm at 14-16 right now and hope to get back to 8 someday... maybe...
I'll switch watches multiple times a day.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Until very recently, 3 on regular rotation (core collection), 2 for variety/infrequent use (once or twice a month), and another 2 for for very specific purposes (gym and at home). Just added a 4th for regular rotation.

However, I feel that if I kept my Explorer and replaced the others with a Chronometre Bleu/other grail, I would be fine with just two, because I would get so much enjoyment from them and would want to wear them all the time. I wouldn’t keep watches that don’t give me near the same level of enjoyment as I do from my favourite watches unless they were easily affordable (even then they have to be quite different in design) or were gifts. I.e. “love” my vintage Speedmaster, and only “like” my Khaki Field Mechanical, but the latter is affordable and different enough to keep around for the time being.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think 8 watches is my sweet spot. I'm at 14-16 right now and hope to get back to 8 someday... maybe...
I'll switch watches multiple times a day.
Impressive that you can balance that many watch choices. I know if I had that many watches I would probably switch out a lot more from indecision on what I wanted to wear.

Reactions: MZhammer

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thinking about it now, Ill divide my 10 watches into 3 tiers:

Tier 1 - 3 watches that I wear the most, and see the most wrist time; I switched between them base on my mood.
Tier 2 - 4 watches, they get 1 week wrist time on average when I miss them.
Tier 3 - 3 watches, they go for a long time without wrist time; those are gifted watches that Ill keep them around for that reason and never let go.
I think your thought process is similar to mine. I have 2 that dominate my wrist time and a couple that I occasionally miss wearing. The others don’t get the time they probably should however I’m not getting rid of them either.

Reactions: De Wolfe

·
Registered
36,282 Posts
Infinite......so many that it is like going to the most expansive watch boutique and grabbing the first one to catch my eye, already sized up and ready for an adventure, a hike, a ride, a road trip, a sail, a voyage....

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I have 5 and rotate through them consistently but neither rigorously nor religiously--each for a day or two (or three) before switching to another--the others are all waiting on a winder, and can be pretty much simply taken and put on the wrist without any adjustments when the mood dictates.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I’m at three at the mo though my mini turtle is on borrowed time. I’d say probably 3 and a nice beater for everyday battle

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
For me a core of 3 better watches and 2 beaters.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have no rhyme or reason to my rotation and depends on factors on the day ie what I’m doing, wearing or just feel like. I tend to wear the same watch Mon to Thurs for work then something different for dress down Fri and then go crazy at the wknd!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
No set preferred number but every watch guy/gal IMO should have atleast 3.
1 for work if you work, 1 for casual/weekends and 1 dress watch.

·
Registered
396 Posts
too many watches too little time... I mostly choose a watch for the occasion and because I have multiple choices I generally pick a different watch every time I reach for one.
I'm ashamed to say I have 12 at the moment, but I mainly use about half of that on a regular basis... some only come out once a month...
I have trouble letting go though...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have 13 watches currently, all in rotation. I have no set rotation rules, other than not wearing the same watch on consecutive days (with an exception being made for new acquisitions). I wear all the watches in my collection. If I find I have a watch I'm not wearing, it doesn't remain in the collection.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just curious what others feel is their preferred number of watches to wear on a rotation. Though I have a collection of 6 watches I personally find myself only rotating between any 2 at a given time. For me I seem to only keep any 2 watches running at any given time. The other 4 are sitting my watch box not running until my temperament changes and I switch one from the box to my rotation. Curious as to what others on the forum do?
I would recommend a minimum collection of eight watches - perfectly achievable if you have a decent job. I have 30 watches in my collection, but my most expensive is a Bell & Ross.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 8 pieces in my primary box and some others and old quartz's in another. Out of the 8, I would say 6/7 are worn regularly. I wear all my dress watches in the office, and usually change every day or 2. Fridays and weekends more casual sport watches.

My only rule is to grab and wear a cheap beater when I garden, work at the house or play with the dogs!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts