WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta say, I really dig these and am quite excited for some more slimmer metal releases. The case design and the way the bracelet integrates is similar to my MRG-b1000, but a lot thinner. I am really looking forward to seeing these new dials and I think the reduced power usage should also allow for longer times between charges (my analogue steel models definitely require more sunbathing). Yeah, digital sub dials are negative and not the most legible, but I can live with it (I will miss the second hand a bit).
G-Central photo and article

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
1,003 Posts
They look good, but the lack of positive display will be a deal killer for me, especially with the small digits they have.
I have similar neg and small digits on my GST-W130 and its one of the reasons the watch is going to be flipped.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Very cool, very cool indeed. I've always liked the look of the G Steels but they are all too big for me. This one looks much better suited to us smaller wristed folks.

And I'll go ahead and be the one to say it - if they can only be either Bluetooth or MB6 (because if the were both why would you spend so much more for an MTG?) I'd prefer MB6.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Both the red and blue versions look great!

I personally have no problems reading most negative displays (the exception being red is a little tough from some angles).

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
...I think the reduced power usage should also allow for longer times between charges (my analogue steel models definitely require more sunbathing)....
Per the video (skip to 1:56) it uses less power, but the surface area of the solar cells is greatly reduced (12.693sq.mm vs 28.655sq.mm). It also has less 'solar transmittance', which I assume is how much light can get through to the solar panels.

So it has less area to receive light, and there's less light getting through, but it also uses less power. So it'll take longer to charge up, but it will also hold it's charge longer.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I like these a LOT, I've owned 3 versions in the GST steel line with the GST-B300 being the most recent. I wish these were Made In Japan and not cased in China.
Being Made in Japan would not have gutted the MTG model sales numbers.

I love the red & silver dialed versions GST-B400AD-1A4 & GST-B400D-1A
These G-Steel models can take a lot of abuse…My GST-B100 is still running with perfection, even after a Summer experiment with ICE...

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Happy to see that Casio's heading in the right direction with these smaller, slimmer, lighter cases. These will be a hit.

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
I seem to find myself shying away from the bulkier models lately, it's nice that they are making some newer slimmer models 👍
Still I might wear my GX-56BB tomorrow 😬;)

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've been saying for years like a lot of us here, why not offer smaller G-Shock's with all the great features? We knew Casio could do it... It's not just people with small wrists who don't want a larger watch (though most larger G-Shocks don't wear that big), it's just cool to have a more compact classy G.
To offer a size comparison this new GST is smaller than this model GMAS130-4A, my girl has it and I tried it on just now. I remember when I bought this for her in the Caribbean and thought this would be an awesome daily size to wear in the grey, her watch is pink.

The GST would actually be thinner, shorter LUG to LUG yet wider across which will give it great wrist presence.

GMAS130-4A
49.0 X 45.9 X 15.5mm / 53g

GST-B400D-1A
46.6 X 49.6 X 12.9mm / 80g steel bracelet 160g

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
i'm liking the lighter weight on specs, and also how they went back to how the 100 series is without the seconds hand...tho still with those small useless LCD dials :p
but using black lume on most of the models is...zzz...
by default the one on the rubber strap is the clear winner for me.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Man these are tempting me!

The GSTW300 is still my fav in terms of looks, but the size and thickness is just too much for my skinny 6" wrist. I never really liked the look of the other B versions but this one looks awesome imo.

I'd want MB6 as well though, and it would have to be an all black version on a resin strap for me. So I guess I'm off the hook for now...

We sure are a picky bunch! lol

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
lack of MB6 doesnt bother me since it doesnt work here anyway.
as long as it has solar, i'm good.
not OCD enough to care about a few secs lost per month, and it only takes a few secs to re-adjust the time anyway.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BT is far better than MB6, unless you live close to a tower. BT on some of the Oceanus models was such a pleasure to setup your watch out of the box, not as cool as GPS in concept yet just as effective.
Prices from YEN to USD and I'm sure they will adjust on release.
GST-B400-1AJF $414.00 USD Black dial/strap
GST-B400AD-1A4JF $497.00 USD Red dial
GST-B400BD-1A2JF $570.00 USD Blue/Black
GST-B400D-1AJF $460.00 USD Silver dial

1 - 20 of 76 Posts