WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Mates,

I've bought a new ETA 2892-A2 based movement with DD Big Date (two-disc system at 12H) and small seconds (at 6H) module on top, 26 jewels. for $260 is a good price?

I think this movement with the added DD module complication is pretty rare to find on the open market (some people have told me that DD do not sell their modules to the public, only to watch companies) But i'm unsure if the $260 price tag was worth it.

(I was looking for a spare movement for a watch I have)

What you think?

Thanks!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Dont know what is the current watch automatic layout it has.
Assuming it is a 3 hands 2892 and no fancy day/date, and you wish to have a spare movement .... for the just in case.
Than, suggest you stay within the same configuration for ease of replacement in future.

There are many rare configuration/add on module , but if its does not suit the requirement or the same as spare.... no meaning buying it.

Price wise.... ETA movt prices has been appreciating due to supply control.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!

I have an Oris Artelier Big Date Sub Seconds, which is using Oris Caliber 665 (which is an ETA 2892-A2 with a DD module on top for the big date at 12H and the sub seconds features, 30 jewels). This movement has the same layout - 2829-A2 with the DD module with same features, but 26 jewels instead of 30 - have no clue why ? maybe a different revision ?

I thought that would be a good spare movement for the Big Date, even though it's 4 jewels less, and probably does not have the Oris-specific improvements.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Your movement looks like a top grade one( you can determine from the shape of the balance wheel). Usually ebay price for top grade 2892-A2 is around $250 to $300. Big date DD, adds another $100 to $200. Because this kind of movement is very rare to watch hobbyists, I would call $350 to $400 price tag as "good deal" if it comes in a gas filled pack.

If your movement comes in a loose pack, it is very difficult to determine the actual condition/stock age and normally requires full service before installation. I guess that's why you got it so cheap.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
. . . . Your movement looks like a top grade one( you can determine from the shape of the balance wheel). . . . . .
An oscillator doesn't have to be circular in form. There are numerous examples of those with arms extending from the staff hub without a rim. However, what shape - other than round - would you propose for a balance "wheel" ? :think:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the comments :)

The movement has pealage all over it, the rotor is skeletonized with the letters "DY".

I did check the movement and it worked nice (not sure about the time keeping since I have no hands installed - but good power reserve and all functions work)

@pithy I think he meant the shape of the balance wheel spokes? I've heard that higher grade (more accurate, e.g. chronometer grade) versions of the movement has slightly different spokes on the balance wheel.

Cheers

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Hi Mates, I've bought a new ETA 2892-A2 based movement with DD Big Date (two-disc system at 12H) and small seconds (at 6H) module on top, 26 jewels. for $260 is a good price? . . . .
Wouldn't this have been a question more strategically posed before you made the purchase? Or are you simply seeking reassurance on your expenditure?

. . . . . . . The movement has pealage all over it, . . . . . .
Do you think a couple of ultrasonic baths might possibly remove this?

. . . . (not sure about the time keeping since I have no needles installed . . . . . .
Where would you propose to install needles?

. . . . @pithy I think he meant . . . .
Interesting that you are willing to venture an opinion so specific based on the information contained in the post in question.

-----------------------

Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
You are indeed a funny person..

sorry, when Ive typed "needles" I've actually meant "hands" , and "pearlage" is the type of decoration applied on plates and bridges of the movement (I believe you know that better then me)

If I were a watchmaker I wouldn't be asking such simple questions here, wouldnt I ? :)

About the purchase - I was purchasing the movement anyway since it fits my needs as a "spare", the questions I've asked are because I am trying to learn and not neccesserily on the subject of buying or not buying the item (if you will look at my first post of this thread you will see that I've already bought the movement at that point)

thank you

Cheers

Wouldn't this have been a question more strategically posed before you made the purchase? Or are you simply seeking reassurance on your expenditure?

Do you think a couple of ultrasonic baths might possibly remove this?

Where would you propose to install needles?

Interesting that you are willing to venture an opinion so specific based on the information contained in the post in question.

-----------------------

Illustrated Professional Dictionary of Horology

·
Registered
534 Posts
I am talking about stock 2892 balance wheel. Standard 2892-A2 Incabloc balance wheel, ETA parts number 721/2215 has different shape to chronometer balance wheel, ETA parts number 721/2238, the later one is made of Glucydur and has different shape.

Incabloc:
poise13.jpg

Glucydur:
http://people.timezone.com/img/articles/horologium0013/img00004.gif
img00004.gif

I would recommend you read some basic horology books, "The Theory of Horology" is a good start.

An oscillator doesn't have to be circular in form. There are numerous examples of those with arms extending from the staff hub without a rim. However, what shape - other than round - would you propose for a balance "wheel" ? :think:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I am talking about stock 2892 balance wheel. Standard 2892-A2 Incabloc balance wheel, ETA parts number 721/2215 has different shape to chronometer balance wheel, ETA parts number 721/2238, the later one is made of Glucydur and has different shape. . . . . .
lol

So, you would be speaking specifically of the balance arms?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks dkbs for the info!

The balance wheel arms on both movements I have (the one in my watch and the one in the spare movement) have the shape of the second photo (Fig. 5 Glucydur).

I've heard that some movement are "chronometer capable" but without the certificate (it costs money to examine the movement for a cosc certificate), is that true?

Cheers

I am talking about stock 2892 balance wheel. Standard 2892-A2 Incabloc balance wheel, ETA parts number 721/2215 has different shape to chronometer balance wheel, ETA parts number 721/2238, the later one is made of Glucydur and has different shape.

Incabloc:
View attachment 1301877

Glucydur:
http://people.timezone.com/img/articles/horologium0013/img00004.gif
View attachment 1301876

I would recommend you read some basic horology books, "The Theory of Horology" is a good start.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Thanks dkbs for the info!

The balance wheel arms on both movements I have (the one in my watch and the one in the spare movement) have the shape of the second photo (Fig. 5 Glucydur).

I've heard that some movement are "chronometer capable" but without the certificate (it costs money to examine the movement for a cosc certificate), is that true?

Cheers
yes

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Common, ultrasonic can't remove perlage, it's not a dust or dirt.
sTTalker:

pithy says that you may wish to read the thread as the text of the discussion orginally mentioned pealage and then mentioned "pearlage" but prior to your insertion - never perlage. And pithy thanks you in advance for refraining from misrepresenting his quotes in the future. SEE BELOW:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Pealage. Pearlage. If the ultrasonic won't remove it try some Hexane. Or Nitric acid perhaps. A file? Sounds ghastly!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts