WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question about the dw-5000.

I just purchased one on the net for about 100 USD, No Bezel or watchband. The watch seems to be in good condition with some scratches on the glass.

What do you think? Good or bad?

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. :-!

There's a few models that start with DW-5000. Do you know the full model number or could you post a photo?

It could be a really good deal, or just an OK price, depending on the exact model.

Examples:

DW-5000BL-2
DW-5000C-1A
DW-5000C-1B
DW-5000D-8
DW-5000ML-1
DW-5000SL-1
DW-5000SP-1JR
DW-5000ST-1JF
Thank you!

I am referring to the dw-5000-1A module 240, its in pretty good shape besides the obvious scratches on the glass.

The G has not arrived yet but i will be posting some pics when it does.

So what do you think?

regards

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
$100 USD for an original DW5000 (the first G-Shock) with the module 240 is truly a great deal. The recent deals on a DW5000C I have seen on online auction site is around $300-400. I would take the following factors in mind:

-- No broken bezel screws stuck inside the metal case. A broken screw is very hard to fix.
-- The crystal has no cracks. Minor scratches on the crystal are acceptable for a $100 price tag and for a 20+ year old watch.
-- The crystal (the decals underneath the crystal) has no bubbles.
-- All the buttons and the light work.
-- Bezel and strap are irrelevant because you can easily find new parts.

I would say factors 1-4 are the most important. In sum, if your watch has no broken bezel screws, no cracking crystal and it does not bubble, and all the functions work then your purchase is reasonable. :)

Oh, post a picture of your new watch when it arrives!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$100 USD for an original DW5000 (the first G-Shock) with the module 240 is truly a great deal. The recent deals on a DW5000C I have seen on online auction site is around $300-400. I would take the following factors in mind:

-- No broken bezel screws stuck inside the metal case. A broken screw is very hard to fix.
-- The crystal has no cracks. Minor scratches on the crystal are acceptable for a $100 price tag and for a 20+ year old watch.
-- The crystal (the decals underneath the crystal) has no bubbles.
-- All the buttons and the light work.
-- Bezel and strap are irrelevant because you can easily find new parts.

I would say factors 1-4 are the most important. In sum, if your watch has no broken bezel screws, no cracking crystal and it does not bubble, and all the functions work then your purchase is reasonable. :)

Oh, post a picture of your new watch when it arrives!
I got this pic from the seller.

Cant tell if the scratches are major or minor, guess its ok for a 25 year old? I think the "dot" on the nine is just some light flare or dirt (I hope). Got all the screws, seems like a fun project.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Riley!

I will fix it up, I'm pretty psyched. Ive got that "tingling" feeling under my skin. Just ordered replacement parts from the bay DW-5600C and cant wait till they arrive.

We were only two bidders and I had hopes that he didn't know what a gem the auction was for.... I was wrong, I could've had it for 40 USD.

Well I'm gonna keep my eye on a DW-5200 Mod 240 that is at 10 USD for the moment..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
From the photos this looks great, it'll clean up real nice. I've got 3 of these myself and I doubt you'll even notice those scratches, I've seen a lot worse.

A real bargain, congrats! :-!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Nice pick up! For the crystal scratches pick up a can of NEVR-DULL made by Eagle One, it will polish out alot of small scratches on the crystal and make a very noticeable difference.:-!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice pick up! For the crystal scratches pick up a can of NEVR-DULL made by Eagle One, it will polish out alot of small scratches on the crystal and make a very noticeable difference.:-!
Thanks!

Nevr-dull eh. Is it the same as the ones you can buy on the Bay? The metalpolish? I use something called Autosol which is a metalpolish as well. Is this as good as they say?

Is there any posts where you can see the differences?
Many questions there....

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this completed! :-!

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Thanks!

Nevr-dull eh. Is it the same as the ones you can buy on the Bay? The metalpolish? I use something called Autosol which is a metalpolish as well. Is this as good as they say?

Is there any posts where you can see the differences?
Many questions there....

It should be the same thing, kinda wadded up, you pull out a chunk of it and start polishing. I don't know of any posts, but I have personally used it on a few Timex's that have a glass crystal and it removed about 70% of the scratches, something good to do when you are in the easy chair and can spare about 20 or so minutes watching a show.|>

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It should be the same thing, kinda wadded up, you pull out a chunk of it and start polishing. I don't know of any posts, but I have personally used it on a few Timex's that have a glass crystal and it removed about 70% of the scratches, something good to do when you are in the easy chair and can spare about 20 or so minutes watching a show.|>
Acctually thats exactly how I usually do it, infront of the TV watching either Simpsons or Family Guy. But I never tried one with mineral glas before but I guess i just takes some elbow grease...:think:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
That's an awesome deal!!! The watch is a great condition!!! Judging from the pictures, the scratches are only minor. The 4 bezel screws are still intact. Be extra careful when you remove the screws. Search this forum and get some advice before attempting to remove them. I heard that you can install a new bezel over the screws (without removing the screws), and thus eliminate the risk of breaking them.

For sure to post pictures of your refurbished DW-5000C. It's a fun project and the final product will be great.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
That's an awesome deal!!! The watch is a great condition!!! Judging from the pictures, the scratches are only minor. The 4 bezel screws are still intact. Be extra careful when you remove the screws. Search this forum and get some advice before attempting to remove them. I heard that you can install a new bezel over the screws (without removing the screws), and thus eliminate the risk of breaking them.

For sure to post pictures of your refurbished DW-5000C. It's a fun project and the final product will be great.
+1
Top advice here once again senna89. Putting a new bezel over the top of the screws is not too difficult, I do it all the time. This is the way to go if they're stuck.

Looking forward to the photos after the refurb!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good purchase.

Be careful taking out the bezel screws. They can sometimes break off. I use a tiny bit of PB Blaster on the screws and let them soak overnight before trying to turn them.

Put a new bezel and band on it (available on Ebay for like $30.00) and wear it with pride.

If you ever get tired of it, put it on Ebay and get three times your money back.

:-!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts