WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm in the market for a Rolex Explorer II Polar, and the watches without papers/cards are, of course, much cheaper. For a watch with such a resale market, I'm inclined to pay extra for the papers (even outside of the warranty period). The question is....how much more???

One dealer has two examples in the same condition. The one with papers is 6oo EUR more expensive than the one without.

I'm curious what others thoughts are on this one. What would be a fair price increase for documentation?

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Without papers, no history......I would prefer papers and that is why they charge more......IMHO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Assuming you can authenticate the watch without papers (somewhere other than the place selling it, of course!), it's no different to a watch with papers - until you come to sell it.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Assuming you can authenticate the watch without papers (somewhere other than the place selling it, of course!), it's no different to a watch with papers - until you come to sell it.
But in theory whoever lost the papers took the price hit. The OP would be buying at a discount due to the lack of papers and if he turned around and sold, it would also be at a discount. It should be a wash for him since he paid less for it in the first place. It shouldn't depreciate any faster than the one with papers after the purchase.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Forgot to answer the question, the value of papers is completely subjective once the warranty is expired. If you gain comfort in having them, don't even consider the one without papers. To some papers are a deal breaker, others it is just a preference to have them.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31,381 Posts
Forgot to answer the question, the value of papers is completely subjective once the warranty is expired. If you gain comfort in having them, don't even consider the one without papers. To some papers are a deal breaker, others it is just a preference to have them
I agree.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I would only consider sets with papers these days. But i won't pay alot more for them, 5% of the value of the watch is the most i'll pay

·
Premium Member
64,914 Posts
I'm not sure how much more you should pay for a watch with papers but I feel that this is less important if you are buying from a B&M dealer than if you are buying privately or from an internet dealer.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
The question is....how much more???
Out of warranty and with the ability to authenticate it upon receipt, whatever amount makes you sleep better at night. If you intend to flip it, I'd think papers would help it sell more quickly, so whatever value you would assign to avoiding a slower sale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts