WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone noticed the prices of the used Doxas going up? Look at this one......

Click HERE

While that is a fine Doxa, just a couple months ago it would have sold for ~$1000. And how about Arthur's T-Graph? (For sale on Fleabay right now) Just about 6 weeks ago to 2 months ago there were about 4-5 T-Graphs for sale all for about $1800. Plus, Arthur's has a ding right in the side of the case. I am not trying to put down any of the Doxas for sale right now. In fact, I am very pleased (As the rest of you should be) that Doxas are really starting to keep their value;-)

Anyone who doesn't believe this move to retail will work is witnessing the first step happening right before their eyes...........................

just my

·
Registered
139 Posts
Maybe so- looks like a couple hundred per piece:think:, from the ones I have seen.
But this morning found a Caribbean on TZ for $1550. That
seemed reasonable. Described as 95%, no pics.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I've noticed there seems to be at least $200 on top of most models now. Even more on rare ones.
Alasdair

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I have noticed that for sure. I guess it's great fro us unless you want to buy another one or a used one.....I guess that includes most of us. :-|

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I've noticed an increase in prices as well which I think may also be attributeable to Dr. Millar's comprehensive Doxa book. Definately a required purchase if not already done so!! Personally, when I found Doxa last year I liked their modest anonymity when compared to larger watch producers. The watch for the money was unparalleled. Now, some DOXAS are becoming close to being as expensive as many other dive watches. I don't get the price increase for vintage models and am sure it will taper off eventually. Google some vintage models and they sold for half of what they are selling for now just a few years ago.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've noticed an increase in prices as well which I think may also be attributeable to Dr. Millar's comprehensive Doxa book. Definately a required purchase if not already done so!! Personally, when I found Doxa last year I liked their modest anonymity when compared to larger watch producers. The watch for the money was unparalleled. Now, some DOXAS are becoming close to being as expensive as many other dive watches. I don't get the price increase for vintage models and am sure it will taper off eventually. Google some vintage models and they sold for half of what they are selling for now just a few years ago.
It is true about the vintage prices. I wonder though if prices for those might keep increasing:-s They aren't making any more of them and while Doxa gains popularity I think all the prices of the difficult-to-obtain will increase. Heck, I coulda bought a Seahunter like the one Alasdair just got for around $1500 just 4 months ago. Now, you don't even see them for sale. If you do see one, they are asking $1800+ for a scratched up one.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Even the lowly T-Graph Pro is creeping up there.
Remember that Doxa is keeping prices down for the previous buyers for quite a while.
You can't get any more reasonable than that.
It does seem like the Doxa "family" is growing.
Starting to see new members and, hopefully, Doxa is realizing an increase in sales.
I imagine it is a slow process to go into the retail market.
I remember saying that I would never pay $3.00 for a gallon of gas.
Sorry if I tick off any of the nay-sayers but the T-Graph, IMO, is worth every bit of $3,500.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1st sign that someone is a true Doxaholic....

" Last edited by subkrawler : 42 Minutes Ago at 03:04. Reason: typing on an iphone"

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe so- looks like a couple hundred per piece:think:, from the ones I have seen.
But this morning found a Caribbean on TZ for $1550. That
seemed reasonable. Described as 95%, no pics.
I can't believe no one has jumped on that Carib. I bought my first T-Graph from him. He listed it as near mint. When I received it, IT LOOKED BRAND-NEW!! I can vouch for the guy. Plus, he has reduced it to $1450. Heck, I want to buy it and I already have one.........

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
1st sign that someone is a true Doxaholic....

" Last edited by subkrawler : 42 Minutes Ago at 03:04. Reason: typing on an iphone"

Nothing slips past Jason...I mean nothing.:-d:-d:-d Yea, the iPhone is crazy cool, and it's definitely not for someone who has an internet watch forum(DOXA) addiction.;-) Oh the time you can waste. :-d

No matter where I go, the forum is always there. Waiting at a red light....I think I'll check the DOXA forum. Waiting for an appointment...I think I'll check the DOXA forum. It's sick...absolutely sick.:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can't believe no one has jumped on that Carib. I bought my first T-Graph from him. He listed it as near mint. When I received it, IT LOOKED BRAND-NEW!! I can vouch for the guy. Plus, he has reduced it to $1450. Heck, I want to buy it and I already have one.........
Saw the reduction this morning. Would like to see some pics though.:think:. A Carib is always nice to have.:-! Might have to look at that a little harder, and see if the pocketbook can stand it.
(Of course, I am also looking at a collector's 'vette, a Panerai, a Omega Planet Ocean,
aaaannnnnnnddddd this Carib- but it never hurts to 'look' does it????:-d)

·
Registered
493 Posts
$1450 is too high for just a 750T You can buy GMT Caribs for that. Two GMT Caribbeans sold two weeks ago in the 1300-1400 range. You see the bigger numbers on ebay, due to the fact that people have to recover the auction fees and the paypal fees. I have been able to get some really good deals on some watches here on the forums. Ebay is impossible to get a deal, except for the vintage models. I think only a specific crowd is looking at the vintage versions.

·
Registered
349 Posts
subkrawler,

It may be sick, but I wish I could "suffer" along with you! The iPhone is yet another cool toy I can't afford right now. :-(

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$1450 is too high for just a 750T You can buy GMT Caribs for that. Two GMT Caribbeans sold two weeks ago in the 1300-1400 range. You see the bigger numbers on ebay, due to the fact that people have to recover the auction fees and the paypal fees. I have been able to get some really good deals on some watches here on the forums. Ebay is impossible to get a deal, except for the vintage models. I think only a specific crowd is looking at the vintage versions.
I am not disagreeing with you, but there are some people that would definitely prefer the "plain" 750T carib vs the GMT model. Having both of them, I like them both for different reasons. They are both on the GMT bracelet, so that is not an issue. I really like the orange second-hand and the Logo of the Seahunter Carib. The blue of the dial almost seems different than the GMT model. Almost a deeper blue. I have compared both for long periods of time and I believe they are the same shade of blue. Just missing the orange of the inner bezel on the GMT makes it seem different.

I like the GMT Carib because it was my first, and I think the GMTs are the most unusual of the Doxa line. Nothing like them on the market. Very functional, and very, very nice looking.

Now, comparing my RR to my Seahunter carib, not alot of difference. But, I will keep both anyhow........:-d:-d:-d:-d

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I'm seeing it too. I've been considering a used Sharkie (again) and am finding that it's cheaper to use my returning customer discount to buy new from Doxa than what I keep seeing sellers try to get for them used.

I just caught the "sold out" Divingstar GMT ad on the SC for $2,000. I choked out a "Bwhaa!" so loud that my secretary felt the need to ask if I was okay. I guess I'm all for it if the sellers can get it.

Rob

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just caught the "sold out" Divingstar GMT ad on the SC for $2,000. I choked out a "Bwhaa!" so loud that my secretary felt the need to ask if I was okay. I guess I'm all for it if the sellers can get it.

Rob
Remember, the 2nd 100 pieces of the DS GMT are being released in Oct. Some people don't realize this, or they just don't want to wait.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm seeing it too. I've been considering a used Sharkie (again) and am finding that it's cheaper to use my returning customer discount to buy new from Doxa than what I keep seeing sellers try to get for them used.

Rob[/quote]

Unfortunately some of us are new to Doxa and don't have the option of the returning customer discount.

:-(ticketgeorge

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I was just amused that a DS GMT is listed at $2000 when a beautiful Carribean GMT just sold this afternoon for $1,385 on TZ. It wasn't so much the "sold out" in the ad that got me chuckling as it was the price.

In the end, I appreciate someone making a buck. On average, I suspect that we all lose more money at this addiction than make money. It's not everyday that a WIS can make a profit.

At the moment, original Dreadnaught owners are coming to mind....

Rob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts