WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to buy an Emergency, yellow, titanium. In sweden they are 6580USD. Really apprechiate if someone could update me on prices in other countries (preferebly USA and Singapore)!

·
Registered
571 Posts
UK price for Emergency

I'm going to buy an Emergency, yellow, titanium. In sweden they are 6580USD. Really apprechiate if someone could update me on prices in other countries (preferebly USA and Singapore)!
The latest official price in the UK for an Emergency on a titanium bracelet (item number 823 pictured on page 95 in the Chronolog 07) is £3420 which includes VAT.

VAT (Value Added Tax) is a 17.5% UK sales tax which is normally not payable by visitors to the UK who will be taking the item out of the country. I make it that the price without VAT would therefore be £2911. I am not sure how VAT affects residents of other countries within the EU and whether or not they are eligible to avoid paying it.

I hope this helps....

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi,

To the best of my knowledge(i stand to be corrected)EU residents do not qualify for the VAT back and of course there could be duty issues on entering back into the US for example.

Martin

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: UK price for Emergency

Thank you very much for that information. Anyone who knows the price in USA or Singapore?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Especially for the UK buyer! :-!

Then we get spanked for import fees. :-( :-d
Unfortunately we are not alone, as other countries also have this bizarre aversion to retail arbitrage :). Of course, we could wait until the $/£ rate falls to 1.6 or so, but then everyone would whinge that they can't go on holiday any more. So there's no pleasing some people...

Best solution: wear it on your wrist and put the box/papers in the mail. That's what I heard on the internet, anyway :-!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you very much publandlord! Does anyone have the Singapore price? Whould be really greatful!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

Thank you very much publandlord! Does anyone have the Singapore price? Whould be really greatful!
'Fraid not. However I am willing to bet that the price excluding VAT in Singapore, in Singapore dollars, is with 1 or 2% of the VAT-free Swiss price multiplied by a LTM average of the FX rate between CHF and SGD. If it was not, you would have a money machine, and everyone knows they don't exist :).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

'Fraid not. However I am willing to bet that the price excluding VAT in Singapore, in Singapore dollars, is with 1 or 2% of the VAT-free Swiss price multiplied by a LTM average of the FX rate between CHF and SGD. If it was not, you would have a money machine, and everyone knows they don't exist :).
The problem is that you cant buy VAT free from Switzerland. And correct me if I'm wrong the money machine exists because the diff between USA and Sweden is about 1500USD and I whould guess that in Singapore and Dubai (vs. Sweden) it whould be around 2250USD...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am sure it will be significantly cheaper in Singapore.

I can share with you my personal experience. I just bought a Montbrilliant Datora from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Prices in Kuala Lumpur and Singapore are roughly the same due to proximity. I paid the equivalent of £2200 for the watch. The RRP in the UK is £3400 and I think it is probably £3200 in the shops. The best on-line price I have seen is about £2700.

The savings more than paid for my airfare to the Kuala Lumpur with some spare change for spending money!

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

The problem is that you cant buy VAT free from Switzerland. And correct me if I'm wrong the money machine exists because the diff between USA and Sweden is about 1500USD and I whould guess that in Singapore and Dubai (vs. Sweden) it whould be around 2250USD...
Some of that is due to high taxes in Sweden (25%) and the apples-to-oranges comparison of with-tax Swedish prices and tax-free American prices. Then throw in some foreign exchange exposure and sticky pricing (Breitling does not vary its prices around the world as each currency moves against CHF every day) and you do have room for arbitrage, yes, but only in the short run. Hence the suggestion that the prices are generally set using long-term FX averages.

I won't spend ages trying to find S'pore list prices - I bet it's not easy, online - but if they are cheaper, and the money machine exists, then it's worth exploiting. If you are willing to buy a cheap airline ticket, spend x hours flying to S'pore and back, paying for accommodation (or sleeping rough, or flying straight back), and evading VAT when you bring the watch back in (only one at a time, or you risk being seriously nailed by customs), value your own time at zero or close to it, and treat long-haul flight as a risk-free activity, and are then able to then sell the watch in your home market for the full price, then yes - you can make money for free :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats my guess to. I've been in Dubai a couple of times to but I did'nt look at the prices. Have any idea how they compare to Singapore?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

Some of that is due to high taxes in Sweden (25%) and the apples-to-oranges comparison of with-tax Swedish prices and tax-free American prices. Then throw in some foreign exchange exposure and sticky pricing (Breitling does not vary its prices around the world as each currency moves against CHF every day) and you do have room for arbitrage, yes, but only in the short run. Hence the suggestion that the prices are generally set using long-term FX averages.

I won't spend ages trying to find S'pore list prices - I bet it's not easy, online - but if they are cheaper, and the money machine exists, then it's worth exploiting. If you are willing to buy a cheap airline ticket, spend x hours flying to S'pore and back, paying for accommodation (or sleeping rough, or flying straight back), and evading VAT when you bring the watch back in (only one at a time, or you risk being seriously nailed by customs), value your own time at zero or close to it, and treat long-haul flight as a risk-free activity, and are then able to then sell the watch in your home market for the full price, then yes - you can make money for free :)
Well lets not paint the world in all black. What if I've worked enough to not loose any income for 10 days. I'll run of from the Swedish rainy winter and go to Thailand and book a 4-5 day dive-cruise in the Similian Islands. Have a blast and som beautiful diving. Go down to Singapore and scout a watch for 1 day and 2 and then get back to Sweden with twice the energy as I left with, and significant cheaper Breitling than I whould get at home?

It's all about positive thinking publandlord, but I surely see your point! :-!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts