WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
\
However, I think it's Photoshop by someone who needs to get a proper job, and a life.
Nope... it's real. There's a video report. Read through the thread.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
I'm always surprised people don't read a whole thread like this before posting.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
You're projecting.

Do you think this is proof of their QC being a sham because of the error? Do you feel it's evidence that invalidates their process? I never said either.

I just wondered how something like this could happen in a company whose reputation is built on the production of a flawless product. This was not a speck of dust on the dial
I'm projecting? You're the one making claims that this is a supposedly unexplainable anomaly, for what appears to me to be the purpose of mocking Rolex' quality control. After all, what reasonable person would expect a company that produces as many units as Rolex does to have zero defects?

Now, if that's not your intent, then mea culpa. But given the number of anti-Rolex threads we see, my first impression is understandable.

Regards,
Alysandir

Reactions: Black5

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
I just wondered how something like this could happen in a company whose reputation is built on the production of a flawless product. This was not a speck of dust on the dial
As long as companies and products are run and built by humans, some amount of human error is always present. Rolex, like other good brands, tries to minimize human errors but it still happens to some degree. Really not a big deal.

If you look into Rolex's past, it's littered with a bunch of errors that were released and sold. And they're all worth more than their standard correct counterparts, so it's a good thing for their owners.

My own GMT Master 2 16710 has the error stick dial where the II was printed in the wrong font. Mine also has the wrong movement in it, the 3186 vs the 3185. I don't mind, and the 3186 movement is better so I got a better watch. And it's worth significantly more than its correct counterparts.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
As long as companies and products are run and built by humans, some amount of human error is always present. Rolex, like other good brands, tries to minimize human errors but it still happens to some degree. Really not a big deal.

If you look into Rolex's past, it's littered with a bunch of errors that were released and sold. And they're all worth more than their standard correct counterparts, so it's a good thing for their owners.

My own GMT Master 2 16710 has the error stick dial where the II was printed in the wrong font. Mine also has the wrong movement in it, the 3186 vs the 3185. I don't mind, and the 3186 movement is better so I got a better watch. And it's worth significantly more than its correct counterparts.

Now I'm really curious. Is there documentation of the wrong movement being done by Rolex, versus someone swapping it later? I.e. if you go to sell it, how are you going to show that it was a manufacturing fault?

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Now I'm really curious. Is there documentation of the wrong movement being done by Rolex, versus someone swapping it later? I.e. if you go to sell it, how are you going to show that it was a manufacturing fault?
Both are known "errors" for the M serial. Rolex has records of the movement number when it was joined with the case serial number.

I would add I don't think either were actual errors. The dial was simply a font change IMO and the movements were put in at the very end of the 16710 run and Rolex was likely simply out of 3185 movements. While I don't think they are errors doesn't mean they aren't rare, particularly the 3186 movement and in the world of the Crown rare almost always means more money especially in something like a GMT.

Reactions: dbostedo

·
Registered
9,789 Posts
I haven't read all the responses. Is the double 9 a known issue? Please give me a quick update.

Heck, even GS makes a mistake here and there. ;)

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I haven't read all the responses. Is the double 9 a known issue? Please give me a quick update.
It is a single known anomaly. The chances of it being real are pretty high but it could be an elaborate ruse as well. The error was not noticed by the AD nor the buyer, it was a buyers friend that noticed it. I never got if the friend noticed it AT the AD or whether the watch left the AD prior to the error being identified. If it was found at the AD prior to the watch leaving my confidence in its authenticity goes up significantly.

·
Premium Member
7,090 Posts
As ilitig8 mentioned, I have a paper record from the Rolex service center when it was serviced by its previous owner that shows the serial and the movement calibre #.

And yes, I think this was due to Rolex running out of 3185 movements towards the end of the 16710 production run, and opting to install the 3186 movement. And maybe the font change is a way to easily differentiate those with the older and newer movements, although I have seen cases of the error stick dial with the 3185 movement as well so who knows.

IMO, you can still consider this an error because someone at Rolex miscalculated the number of 3185 movements needed for the full 16710 production run.

·
Premium Member
9,089 Posts
IMO, you can still consider this an error because someone at Rolex miscalculated the number of 3185 movements needed for the full 16710 production run.
Oh sure... it could be considered an error. But it is a little different that the double 9 because it's not an accident.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
And maybe the font change is a way to easily differentiate those with the older and newer movements, although I have seen cases of the error stick dial with the 3185 movement as well so who knows.
The stick dial is definitely independent of the 3186 movements. I had a Y serial stick dial at one point years before the 3186 movement existed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its not an error and im really sad for this.Rolex is the best watch company, and it is just the new generation error perfection luxury air KING watch..Maybe double 9 is better than double 3 who knows.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts