WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Recently got into watches. I have 6 watches total but what is giving me issues is that I have 2 kinetics (seiko ska511; seiko btk) 2 automatics (seiko recraft and maratac SR-1 [on its way!]). Already having troubles keeping the recraft running, and the kinetics are now stuck at the mid-range power reserve.
What do you guys do about this? Or is it a newbie mistake, does no-one buy a bunch of automatics & kinetics? tia.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put my automatics on a watch winder. Some people don't think watch winders are a good idea but I find that if I don't have a watch wound and the date set right I tend not to wear it. When I'm getting ready for work I don't have time to mess around with a watch. I also have a Citizen Sky Hawk. If the power reserve is getting low (I rarely wear it), I put it in a sunny window for a couple days to get the power reserve back up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As long as the watch doesn't stop completely, there's nothing wrong with letting the power run down a bit. If you wear them in a rotation, then I don't the kinetics will run so low that they will stop. But like someone else said a watch winder is pretty much the only thing to keep the automatic charged. I guess you could hand wind it every night you don't wear it but I'm not sure if that would be good for the movement. The problem is that even a low end watch winder runs around $150.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
I let my autos die and wear my Kinetics in a rota so they remain fully charged. Mind you, it only takes me a day to fully charge a Kinetic from empty.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Who cares if the autos stop? Let them stop, and spend 20 seconds setting the time again next time you wear one. Accuracy drift means you'll need to reset the time fairly often anyway. The kinetics can go back to a full charge in a day, so if you wear them once in a blue moon they'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
8,607 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it does not hurt the automatic if you let them run out of power? Good to know. Then this is less of a deal. And yes to the previous poster, a winder for $149 is too much... thanks!

Who cares if the autos stop? Let them stop, and spend 20 seconds setting the time again next time you wear one. Accuracy drift means you'll need to reset the time fairly often anyway. The kinetics can go back to a full charge in a day, so if you wear them once in a blue moon they'll be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts