WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Casio, PRG-70-YT, titanium band.
It's been working fine for 2 1/2 years (bought it in 2005) but recently it has developed a problem.

The pressure/altimeter readings don't work properly, to be more exact it just shows the lines - - - - instead of the digits 8888.

I have gave it a cleaning/dusting inside and around the sensor, but it doesn't seem to help.

After cleaning it (i removed and places back the battery, according to the instructions on the battery sticker), I've set the thermometer/altimeter/barometer again to the right figures (it was all messed up after resetting it) and it seemed to work briefly, but a bit later, when i tried again , it had gone back to blank ---- o|. Sometimes, now and then the pressure reading comes back on.

Anybody got a clue on what's going on ? Should I remove the battery again, thus resetting it ??

Any advice will be gladly appreciated.

P.S. I live in Romania, service $ucks over here, so going to the Casio Service Center or taking it to a repair place (where they would know what they were doing:think:) is NOT an option for me.....unfortunately:-(

Hope it's posted in the right place, please move if not appropriate.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I'd bet you need to put in a brand new battery. I suspect your current battery, though it can run the time-keeping functions, doesn't have enough juice for the altimeter. I had a pag50 that had the same problem after about the same time period. Try a new battery. (If I read your post right, you simply took out the original battery, cleaned it, and put it back in?)

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I have a Casio, PRG-70-YT, titanium band.
It's been working fine for 2 1/2 years (bought it in 2005) but recently it has developed a problem.

The pressure/altimeter readings don't work properly, to be more exact it just shows the lines - - - - instead of the digits 8888.

I have gave it a cleaning/dusting inside and around the sensor, but it doesn't seem to help.

After cleaning it (i removed and places back the battery, according to the instructions on the battery sticker), I've set the thermometer/altimeter/barometer again to the right figures (it was all messed up after resetting it) and it seemed to work briefly, but a bit later, when i tried again , it had gone back to blank ---- o|. Sometimes, now and then the pressure reading comes back on.

Anybody got a clue on what's going on ? Should I remove the battery again, thus resetting it ??

Any advice will be gladly appreciated.

P.S. I live in Romania, service $ucks over here, so going to the Casio Service Center or taking it to a repair place (where they would know what they were doing:think:) is NOT an option for me.....unfortunately:-(

Hope it's posted in the right place, please move if not appropriate.
Did you just re placed the same battery?

You might want to try a brand new battery because if the battery is to weak it will sometimes clear out like that!

The sensors require some heavy juice of the battery so its amongst the first functions to go out if battery is weak!

Another issue is that of AC reset. Did you use a tweezer to reset it (AC hole) after battery was removed?

If a new battery wont solve this issue I guess that some water or dust got inside the sensor compartment area(this area can't be reached) and therefor gets values of the sensor that is over limit resulting in ------

If that is the case then its broken and nothing else to do then getting a new watch!:-(

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Also, if it is battery related, is it fully charged? From the photo you posted, it's a Solar model. I'd make sure the battery is clean/free from the oils on your skin, and fully charge it to see if it functions then.

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
Also, if it is battery related, is it fully charged? From the photo you posted, it's a Solar model. I'd make sure the battery is clean/free from the oils on your skin, and fully charge it to see if it functions then.
good point Topher!

I forgott it was Solar!

It as you said might just be in need of soem charging if the batt is low!:-!

It can take several days under light for a low cell to charge up!

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll try and respond to all the questions.
It is the same battery, I simply put it back after giving it a clean.
The battery was charged, I use it a lot in full sunlight and it's been showing HIGH all the time.

Also, I did reset the AC thing (I'm not sure I did it correctly though...:think:).
I held a thin piece of wire between the (-) and (AC) signs and the screen went blank, held it like that for 2-3 seconds....

The thing that puzzles me is that it did work, for a few times, before showing blank again ----.
And also, if the battery was at fault , then wouldn't the compass also not work ? It's been working all the time, no problem.

The sensor area is possible to reach, there also like a metal mesh-net thing protecting it and then some spongy-like material that sits on it.

Another thing worth mentioning is that after removing the battery and then placing it back had the problem started, before that I didn't noticed it, although I must say, I rarely use any of the altimeter-barometer functions.

After cleaning it and it got reset it was showing both relative altitude and pressure but the values were like 670 Hpa and 6400 meters.....:rodekaart
That's why I tried putting the normal values, which in my case that day were 90m and 996 Hpa.
Another thing is that now, when it just shows blank, it doesn't even let me set another value !!:think:, when I press the button to set another altitude or pressure, the ---- blank lines simply blink but nothing happens when trying to set an actual value...

It's a weird situation, I know, I was just having a hope that maybe some of you encountered a similar situation and could tell me what's wrong.

I'm going to open again after posting this, do the same thing with the battery and maybe this time check the sensor area , see if any major speck of dust or dirt is trapped there and I'll tell you how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your answers/advice. I'm all by myself trying to fix and unfortunately since I couldn't get my hands on some service manuals online, any idea is gladly welcomed :thanks

Cheers !

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Glad to try and help. Sounds like your battery is fully charged then.

Per the manual for your watch:

"The displayed barometric pressure value changes to ----hPa (or inHg) if a measure barometric pressure falls outside the range of 260 hPa to 1100 hPa (7.65 inHg to 32.45 inHg). The barometric pressure value will be displayed again as soon as the measure barometric pressure is within the allowable range."

and

"The diplayed temeprature value changes to ---- C (or F) if a measure temperature falls outside the range of -10.0 C to 60.0 C (14 F to 140F). The temperature value will be displayed again as soon as the measure temeprature is within the allowable range."

Does that help any?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
As you're not reporting seeing an "err" on your screens, I believe it's just a matter of resetting the watch, and watching it for a bit before adjusting the settings.

I think once it's reset, it probably displays a factory set value, before actually sensing. If you go in and adjust before it actually displays for your area, maybe you are setting it outside it's range, and thus getting the ----, with it occasionally coming back within a range it can display. Try just watching for a bit to see if it comes down to your actual measurements on it's own before changing the preset values (adjusting it).

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After resetting it, it shows OFF when I was trying to set it. The temperature setting worked, as I pressed the setting buttons, it moved from OFF to the value, 31.3 degrees C, but when I'm trying to set the barometer and altimeter, it won't move from OFF !!! o| it simply blinks with the OFF writing and then when I get back to normal mode and press for a measurement, if goes to blank again, ----

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Hmm...the 'off' is in reference to setting a reference altitude. When you first enter the mode, it should only take 4-5 seconds for the initial reading, then it won't take another reading for 5 minutes. Then every 2 after that.

Try waiting 6 minutes or so after entering the mode to see if it comes up with a value.

I am of course assuming you have read the manual, correct? Truly no offense with that question (really really really mean no offense, but I have to ask). I just want to make sure. I provided you with a link to the manual in english, which after reading your posts you seem to have quite a good handle on. Reading the manual may lead you thru what you are experiencing.

So, from timekeeping, to read the altitude, you press button "d" to get the reading, right? And it immediately displays 'off'? You're not holding down a button for it to then read 'off', right?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hmm...the 'off' is in reference to setting a reference altitude. When you first enter the mode, it should only take 4-5 seconds for the initial reading, then it won't take another reading for 5 minutes. Then every 2 after that.

Try waiting 6 minutes or so after entering the mode to see if it comes up with a value.

I am of course assuming you have read the manual, correct? Truly no offense with that question (really really really mean no offense, but I have to ask). I just want to make sure. I provided you with a link to the manual in english, which after reading your posts you seem to have quite a good handle on. Reading the manual may lead you thru what you are experiencing.

So, from timekeeping, to read the altitude, you press button "d" to get the reading, right? And it immediately displays 'off'? You're not holding down a button for it to then read 'off', right?
No, it only displays OFF if I try to set the (correct) value.

When I just press the button to get a reading it just shows the blank -----.

Reading the manual, I see that _----would mean that it's outside the range , but that only shows with the altimeter....:think:.
Now I'm wondering, since the altimeter/pressure is linked, how can one be out of range while one shows ----, whatever that means.....

Even if I leave if for a lots of seconds, it still doesn't show a reading...
There's not much in the manual about what happens when you change the battery, because I still don't understand what happened the first time when I took the battery out.
Clearly the settings were changed, from the normal 90 m , and around 1000 Hpa to 6000 something meters and 500-600 Hpa. Also, there's these few lines below the actual pressure value that are supposed to show if the pressure is rising or falling, which are not there anymore.

I have no clues.....Maybe it's simply malfunctioning and I just stick to reading the time on my watch and forget about the other functions:rodekaart

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
My pag50 had the exact same problem. Battery showed High charge all the time, but no alti/baro readings. The compass still worked. I gave up on it. Perhaps a new battery will work? The old battery may read high, but may not have enough juice left anyway. An old laptop battery will read full when charged, but will run out very quickly. Perhaps that's the issue here: not enough juice to power the hungry alti/baro.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My pag50 had the exact same problem. Battery showed High charge all the time, but no alti/baro readings. The compass still worked. I gave up on it. Perhaps a new battery will work? The old battery may read high, but may not have enough juice left anyway. An old laptop battery will read full when charged, but will run out very quickly. Perhaps that's the issue here: not enough juice to power the hungry alti/baro.
Did a new battery work for you ??:think:

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I don't know. I ended up tearing it apart in the interest of science and as an excuse to buy a new watch! I do remember that the watch kind of 'shorted out' one day. I went to pick it up and it had reset itself. It read Jan. 1, 12:00. I'm not sure what happened. I always wore it and it was always charged in full sun outside on a very regular basis (more so than necessary). I think a new battery is your cheapest option before mailing it off to Casio or destroying it too!:-d

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
No good news yet :-(

Yestday nite, when I was cleaning the sensor, I noticed some strange values before it went to "out of range" "_----" again..it was showing -1800 meters on the altimeter and then suddenly, it went to 3400 meters...:think:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Statius.....not a nice thing you did....you destroyed a fine piece of machinery :-d

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I think it is broken unfortunatelly!:-(

Things that can break a sensor:

-Water
-Dirt
-Very high levels of electromagnetism
-High levels of electro static discharges
-Radioactive radiation

Lets hope its not caused by the last option because if it si then your health my be in serious danger!:rodekaart

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Maybe you'd like me to help you with sending it in to Casio USA for some service? If you're interested, just PM me. I'll help where I can :-!.

Good luck. And as you said, at least the compass is working, and it still tells time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts