WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem I have with collecting in general and buying is the only place to get a look at a watch is through an AD.

The real problem is that every AD here in Knoxville only stocks the kind of watches that sell. The kinds of watches I and other WIS want to see/buy aren't the ones that sell as well. If I want to see a watch they can order it in, but they usually try to make you feel obligated to buy it since they brought it in for you specifically.

I don't want to buy and flip watches. Does anyone else have these issues?

·
Premium Member
71,355 Posts
Many ADs only carry a limited stock not so much because of the cost issue but because the watches tend to turn over slower than manufacturers bring out new lines. If an AD was to get too many watches in stock he could well end up trying to sell pieces that were no longer current. I suppose I'm fortunate that the AD I use most will get watches in for me on a sale or return basis. Mind you, it's a good gamble on his part as it's invariably a sale.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No, I have had watches ordered in for me and others reserved for me with no mention of an expectation to buy.

mind you, one AD wanted a deposit before I could try a watch on. Needless to say I've never been back there.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Yes....There was a particular watch I wanted to see.They had 2 AD's in N.Y., 1 in L.A.....
I'm not traveling 2,000miles to see their watches!! So, only option...Order from A G.M.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The ADs around here will usually get their rep to send them a watch I'm interested in looking at... No strings attached

Sent from low earth orbit using a shamwow

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Many ADs only carry a limited stock not so much because of the cost issue but because the watches tend to turn over slower than manufacturers bring out new lines. If an AD was to get too many watches in stock he could well end up trying to sell pieces that were no longer current. I suppose I'm fortunate that the AD I use most will get watches in for me on a sale or return basis. Mind you, it's a good gamble on his part as it's invariably a sale.
Right that's what I run into here. Hardly any new models and all older models they are waiting to sell before bringing in newer models.

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
What particular watches/brands are you hoping they would stock? Just curious what you have in mind.

It probably all comes down to Business 101, if they thought they could make a profit by carrying certain lines they would do it, just not enough of us WIS out there to make it worth their time.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Consider yourself lucky,there's only 1 big AD in my city for multiple luxury brands,the salesman are snobbish and the price is ridiculous with no price consideration so I have to buy my watches abroad or through GM

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One is the Tissot Heritage World Timer. None of the ADs have it and they didn't seem to keen on the idea of bringing it in unless I was going to buy it. Don't know if I want to buy it because I haven't seen it. I understand though.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I don't want to buy and flip watches. Does anyone else have these issues?
Yeah, I've had to take a few calculated risks. Buying from places with robust return policies is probably the only way to truly hedge your bets.

Luckily, the watches I really wanted have lots of YouTube video reviews, web reviews, photos, and specs available. I generally don't pull the trigger until I find plenty of positive AND negative feedback.

·
Premium Member
36,256 Posts
Yes thanks to the resources available you should be able to research most any model prior to purchasing. AD's stock what sells and makes them a profit, which is what business is all about, but sometimes leaves the consumer with limited choices.

·
Registered
41,221 Posts
It's difficult for some around here to accept that.
Yes thanks to the resources available you should be able to research most any model prior to purchasing. AD's stock what sells and makes them a profit, which is what business is all about, but sometimes leaves the consumer with limited choices.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's difficult for some around here to accept that.
I do get that. Like I said I just felt like whining a little. Most watches I can research and make a fairly informed decision. Occasionally there is a model like the tissot that I just can't tell and there haven't been a lot of write ups on. That's all.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,342 Posts
I do get that. Like I said I just felt like whining a little. Most watches I can research and make a fairly informed decision. Occasionally there is a model like the tissot that I just can't tell and there haven't been a lot of write ups on. That's all.
One way to a solution is to actually stop by and talk about your interest in watches with the owner or salesman. Tell him what you are looking for and ask how you could try one on. Don't guess about what they may or may not want to do. Instead be up front about in a friendly way about what you want.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts