WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,
I would like to share with you my experience with Casio UK service centre and their repair job on my GWF-D1000ARR watch... and my GWF-D1000B too :(
On 8th October, I sent to Casio UK service centre my GWF-D1000ARR watch for 9h button replacement - it worked ok, and it activated watch functions but it was stiff when pressed. It seemed like button is not pressing at all.
On 15th October I received two invoices for repair sent to me by Casio UK one after another - first one for £77.16 (it included 9H button and bezel replacement that I have asked for as I wanted a new bezel knowing that module will be taken out for button repair) and second invoice few minutes after for £183.26 which included module replacement as well! I have called customer services to explain this, as the module was fine, everything worked fine, and I thought it is mistake. I have been told that the module is faulty, LCD is bleeding so it needs replacing. I have disagreed with this statement as the watch was fine and informed them that I will send them email as I want everything in writing. So I have sent them an email requesting repair details and to tell me which invoice is correct. I have been told that (quoting) "an engineer found LCD bleeding (black spot) which can only be seen when the Light button is pressed". I couldn't believe it... moreover I have been told that (quoting) "there are clear signs of the unit being tampered with, which voids the warranty...". So I have sent them photos of my watch taken few minutes before it was sent to them with time and date, showing display with light on etc, saying that maybe the LCD is not bleeding, but it looks like there is Antarctica logo on LCD when light is pressed... maybe somebody took it as defect XDD I was trying to figure out what has happened to my watch again (why again, I will explain below) and I have asked them to double check it. I have received instant reply, I have been apologized (first and last time) and they said (quoting)"...we can gladly say that the engineer was able to reset the settings of your watch, which has cleared the black dot that appeared to be an error....during the examination, the engineers saw a slight dark mark on the display, when the illumination was turned on, which appeared as a leak in the LCD screen." What?! So they have taken Antarctica logo on LCD showing up when light is on, as a faulty bleeding LCD! I agreed to pay for button replacement, they gave 50% discount too, as I wanted to have my lovely watch back!

So I was waiting for repair... on 15th November I rang customer services and I have been told that they are awaiting for parts (When I enquired about this button replacement I have been told that parts are in stock) and, now I know they told me that accidentally, that also CASE BACK and MODULE needs to be replaced! So I sent another email to Casio UK asking for explanations, why module and case back need to be replaced and I have been told that this was misunderstanding and that only 9H button will be replaced, as requested. So I was waiting again.... today on 27 November I have received watch... first thing I have noticed was that there are NO SERIAL NUMBERS on case back, so they have replaced it as lady on the phone told me by mistake (instead of keeping it quiet of course), and they SCRATCHED WATCH CASE, looks like with watch opening tool as it has circular shape...

I had similiar story with them in June 2021 when I sent my other Frogman GWF-D (bought second hand) to them and same I have asked them to replace 9H button as it was scratched by previous owner - watch came back to me with all buttons misaligned and MODE BUTTON NOT OPERATING AT ALL (!!!). Check second photo showing this. Same, I had to wait for two months for them to get new case from Japan. When I mentioned it to them about this bad GWF-D1000B repair while exchanging messages about ARR invoices etc, they have said (quoting) "Furthermore, looking at the previous repairs, the last repair carried out on your unit (it is GWF-D1000B) was conducted as a goodwill gesture and there was no charge". Another lie - I have paid for this repair and they broke buttons in my watch...

Because there are no serial numbers on ARR now: some may presume the watch was stolen, me or anybody can't trace the history of the watch, I cannot send a watch missing a s/n to the manufacturer for a service (I am not sure about it but I know it is a case with some mechanical watches), I have no recourse in the event of theft, and of course watch value has halved and it got nice scratch on case...

I have been lied multiple times now, they have tried to charge me for their mistakes, I suppose they damaged watch case and case back somehow, and maybe module too. I don't know what have been replaced now, where my watch is or what has happened to it. I have been sent back damaged watch (see photos showing scratched bezel) and without serial numbers... Who is servicing and repairing Casio watches in UK!? I am thinking about getting in touch with Japan, I dont trust UK customer service and "engineers". I have been treated like a liar, and they have lied me few times, now I am left with the watch I thought I will be happy with, but I can't even look at it... I could buy ARR without serial numbers for half price, and it would be in better condition than this one.

At the end of the day it is $1000 watch, and it could have sentimental value to me... it could be a present from somebody...

Thanks for reading and sharing your comments
Sorry for any spelling mistakes etc but I am too tired, english is not my first language, and I had crazy month in my life so I am really tired and upset...

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Silver Nickel

Product Font Camera accessory Material property Cameras & optics

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is terrible service and unlike past casio service centre reviews. This is of course no value to you. I hope you are able to put some pressure on casio to sort their act out. Taking to twitter always helps with a response.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is terrible service and unlike past casio service centre reviews. This is of course no value to you. I hope you are able to put some pressure on casio to sort their act out. Taking to twitter always helps with a response.
Good idea, thank you. I may get in touch with them via Twitter. But I need some rest first, this ARR was like a nail in the coffin to me today. It's a weekend so I got time to put everything down. I am tired and upset. Not angry. Just shocked. Still can't believe it, but chekced this watch few times to make sure I am not dreaming.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't there a customer protection service in UK you could at least threaten them with? This seems like a hell of a sh'*t job! It is unacceptable!
thank you for your comment. Yes, there is. I will get in touch with them first but they have tried few things with me before (saying watch been opened previsously so warranty is void, or that display is faulty etc.) so I dont expect good outcome. I may contact Japan too, and then I will take further steps.

·
Registered
450 Posts
thank you for your comment. Yes, there is. I will get in touch with them first but they have tried few things with me before (saying watch been opened previsously so warranty is void, or that display is faulty etc.) so I dont expect good outcome. I may contact Japan too, and then I will take further steps.
If you have photos of your watches before sending them for service, I don't think there's anything they can argue about any of it, really. If you have it on email that they charged you for something they didn't actually replace / fix, and that they replaced / scratched the caseback and all that, it shouldn't be too hard to have it sorted with the help of customer protection services. Sure, it's not elegant and it can be messy, so try the less aggressive alternatives you can first. Make sure to screenshot, save, etc all your correspondence with them. Also, try to get ahold of someone higher-up that customer service and explain the situation calmly and respectfully. There's a saying in my country which roughly translates to "good talking brings a lot".

·
Registered
609 Posts
They sound like a bunch of clowns. If they thought the antartica logo was LCD damage then it was someone with little/no experience of G-Shock.

Unfortunately I have heard bad stories from a number of Casio service centers in different regions.

In recent years Casio has been putting out more and more high priced models (MRG etc), but without upgrading the quality and expertise of their service centers. Think carefully before buying a high-priced Casio.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This is horrible and I feel your pain.

Your blue Frogman watch was in a hand of an "engineer" who does not know this model and did not read the official service instruction from Casio for this model. This model requiers the removal of back, module, removal of minimum two buttons on one side and then removal of bezel and vice versa when assembling. On yours the bezel was obviously forced on or off or probably both ways.

And regarding ARR...LCD bleeding...I have no words. This kind of engineers have no place in official Casio service center. And you had to deal with the same genius twice. And the worst part now is, you can't get another one since they don't produce them obviously. No matter what you do now it will not bring you back your ARR but you can get this information to Casio Japan and informing them what kind of people are working for them. I would not let this slide...maybe once, but not twice. It is what is now, it's just a watch and it's not worth your health. But you will do yourself and others a big favour if you make this public and inform some people in Casio Japan if that is even possible.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is horrible and I feel your pain.

Your blue Frogman watch was in a hand of an "engineer" who does not know this model and did not read the official service instruction from Casio for this model. This model requiers the removal of back, module, removal of minimum two buttons on one side and then removal of bezel and vice versa when assembling. On yours the bezel was obviously forced on or off or probably both ways.

And regarding ARR...LCD bleeding...I have no words. This kind of engineers have no place in official Casio service center. And you had to deal with the same genius twice. And the worst part now is, you can't get another one since they don't produce them obviously. No matter what you do now it will not bring you back your ARR but you can get this information to Casio Japan and informing them what kind of people are working for them. I would not let this slide...maybe once, but not twice. It is what is now, it's just a watch and it's not worth your health. But you will do yourself and others a big favour if you make this public and inform some people in Casio Japan if that is even possible.
Yes, you are right, the sad thing is they had to open case anyway to replace button. Obviously he did not know what he was doing, learning from his own mistakes believing I will not notice that all buttons are bent and MODE one is not working...

That's why I have decided to post it here, and on biggest Casio fans forums. To warn everybody what they must be prepared for. Also I hope Casio Japan will read this and they will make sure it will not happen again to anybody. They did it to me with blue Frog, I nearly put it on in G-Shock forums on FB but then changed my mind as they replaced case and fixed it (took them two months altogether). Regarding ARR I hope they will produce a new case back with my serial numbers or they will give me new watch. I don't want to keep this one.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you have photos of your watches before sending them for service, I don't think there's anything they can argue about any of it, really. If you have it on email that they charged you for something they didn't actually replace / fix, and that they replaced / scratched the caseback and all that, it shouldn't be too hard to have it sorted with the help of customer protection services. Sure, it's not elegant and it can be messy, so try the less aggressive alternatives you can first. Make sure to screenshot, save, etc all your correspondence with them. Also, try to get ahold of someone higher-up that customer service and explain the situation calmly and respectfully. There's a saying in my country which roughly translates to "good talking brings a lot".
That's what I am going to do. That's why I am going to wait till tomorrow with correspondance. I am too tired and I got enough of UK service. Thinking about contacting Japan HQ etc. I just don't trust UK service anymore. They won't fool me third time...

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
What a horror story!! Wow, never heard anything like that or had any kind of similar experience.

As others have said, you should pursue with some sort of consumer protection authority if you have one there..

Good luck! Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Regarding ARR I hope they will produce a new case back with my serial numbers or they will give me new watch. I don't want to keep this one.
I am affraid that will be a long shot regarding serial numbers(let us know, please) but a new assembly and gaskets are the least they must do. If it is possible I would now demand a service from Casio factory directly and not letting them touch your watch anymore.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
wow, I thought I'd never seen/read in my lifetime here: two frogman's needing services?
lolz

Reactions: jareddd

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, I thought I'd never seen/read in my lifetime here: two frogman's needing services?
lolz
Blue Frog had scratched 9H button only. Previous owner must have caught it with something. Apart from that it was in perfect working condition. I got 12 Frogman watches altogether and all are ok… well, 11 now after ARR got damaged…

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Unfortunately if a new caseback is required the spares won't have a serial number.

Everything else is unforgivable.
I understand but: why did they replace it? How can you damage case back? If you did, you should tell customer immediately and try to rectify the problem rather than blaming him for this. Why they have told me module is faulty and it wasn’t? How come resetting a module can fix a faulty bleeding LCD? Why they told me when I rang them that case back needs to be replaced and when I emailed them they said it was just misunderstanding and case back is good? Why they lied about so many things?

Read this story please:
I had my swiss watch serviced last month and titanium case back was scratched by previous owner, my brother. I have contacted customer service and asked if they could replace case back, knowing that there were only 300 pieces made (limited edition) and it is nearly 20 years old. You know what? They manufactured one for me, Yes, they made one for me. Customer services were emailing engineers and I was copied to reciepient list. I felt like a part of the team. I felt like I am sat with them and take part in diacussion. When I sent them my watch, I knew where is my watch, I have been informed about every stage of repair. They have copied and engraved serial numbers on new case back. Wow, my jaw was dropped. Amazing! This company is EDOX. You know how much have I paid for this inhouse special job? £100. Yes, one hundred British Pounds for titanium case back made just for me. How about that? And most important customer service were honest with me al the time and they wanted me to know everything right from the start when she sent an e-mail to engineers asking to help me bringing this watch to original condition.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am affraid that will be a long shot regarding serial numbers(let us know, please) but a new assembly and gaskets are the least they must do. If it is possible I would now demand a service from Casio factory directly and not letting them touch your watch anymore.
I think I will get an advice from solicitor first, as I dont want this watch anymore. I expect Casio to come up with some solution. I want new watch. I dont trust their workmanship. I dont trust their customer services. Watch has been damaged and I have been lied so many times… but I dont want to discuss this with UK dealer too, they have lost my trust, they failed with so many things

·
Registered
246 Posts
Sad tale of woe. I really hope Casio have learned from the D1000 and return to a 2 part bezel like on the previous 1000 model for the next digital Frog. I love my D1000 but swapping bezels really risks bending the narrow shafts of the buttons.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I understand but: why did they replace it? How can you damage case back? If you did, you should tell customer immediately and try to rectify the problem rather than blaming him for this. Why they have told me module is faulty and it wasn’t? How come resetting a module can fix a faulty bleeding LCD? Why they told me when I rang them that case back needs to be replaced and when I emailed them they said it was just misunderstanding and case back is good? Why they lied about so many things?

Read this story please:
I had my swiss watch serviced last month and titanium case back was scratched by previous owner, my brother. I have contacted customer service and asked if they could replace case back, knowing that there were only 300 pieces made (limited edition) and it is nearly 20 years old. You know what? They manufactured one for me, Yes, they made one for me. Customer services were emailing engineers and I was copied to reciepient list. I felt like a part of the team. I felt like I am sat with them and take part in diacussion. When I sent them my watch, I knew where is my watch, I have been informed about every stage of repair. They have copied and engraved serial numbers on new case back. Wow, my jaw was dropped. Amazing! This company is EDOX. You know how much have I paid for this inhouse special job? £100. Yes, one hundred British Pounds for titanium case back made just for me. How about that? And most important customer service were honest with me al the time and they wanted me to know everything right from the start when she sent an e-mail to engineers asking to help me bringing this watch to original condition.
I have read almost nothing about Edox in the past although of course I am familiar with the brand and some of their watches. How nice it is to learn of such great and reasonable service. Now I feel like learning more about the brand, and maybe owning one in the future. If a watch causes me negative emotions that’s it for me. Why wear it?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts