WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Holidays!

Mrs. Claus (who's very HOT) brought me a Seamaster Pro with the co-axial movement, but my watchmaker does not think too highly of the movement compared to the ETA 2842-2 in the earlier versions.

I am thinking about exchanging it, but wanted more than one person's opinion about this movement.

Thank you for your time!

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Happy Holidays!

Mrs. Claus (who's very HOT) brought me a Seamaster Pro with the co-axial movement, but my watchmaker does not think too highly of the movement compared to the ETA 2842-2 in the earlier versions.

I am thinking about exchanging it, but wanted more than one person's opinion about this movement.

Thank you for your time!
I thought Seamasters used the 2892 which is a rather more refined affair than the 2824-2 - which if upgraded in house is nevertheless a great mvmnt. But the omega Co-ax is in a different league than the 2824 - not just technically, but in terms of finish & function. My watchmaker, a Swiss trained, complications mvmnt expert - has followed Daniel's co-ax development over 20 years & thinks its UTTERLY AWESOME & intends to get one :gold . Before Omega took it on & made it accesible to normal budget WIS, it was only found on rare hand built watches worn by multi millionaires & kept as horological prizes in bank vaults.

Consequently, the PO is on the list & I'm waiting for the sales to start on the 26th :)

si

·
Registered
40,424 Posts
:) Perhaps you should wait about 20 years and then decide.
I heard from my assit. manager that he used to know a watchmaker
that insisted that a watch should rest on it's crown when not worn.
An obvious twit, he probably uses a chisel to open up a watch.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
The co-ax was not the problem movement, the 33xx movements are the ones with the bad rep. Keep the watch, keep the "hot" one happy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I thought Seamasters used the 2892 which is a rather more refined affair than the 2824-2 - which if upgraded in house is nevertheless a great mvmnt. But the omega Co-ax is in a different league than the 2824 - not just technically, but in terms of finish & function. My watchmaker, a Swiss trained, complications mvmnt expert - has followed Daniel's co-ax development over 20 years & thinks its UTTERLY AWESOME & intends to get one :gold . Before Omega took it on & made it accesible to normal budget WIS, it was only found on rare hand built watches worn by multi millionaires & kept as horological prizes in bank vaults.

Consequently, the PO is on the list & I'm waiting for the sales to start on the 26th :)

si

wow bro you make me proud of my planet ocean!

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
The 2824-2 is a 69$ dollar movement and it is nothing exceptional in terms ofquality and finish. The 2892-a2 is somewhat more refined than the 2824-2 but it is still an eta with the basic etachron regulating system and average quality of built, the highest grade version of the 2892-a2 costs 250$. The coax is based on the 1120 but Omega doesn't modify the ebauches itself, all the work is done by eta for Omega so it means Omega movements are subcontracted by Eta. The coax is very new. Marketing and press says it something great but experienced watchmakers always favor the rolex 3135 and 3035 when it comes to very long term reliability and accuracy.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
I´m guessing you got either a PO or a new Bond SMP. Both models use caliber 2500C that´s been very accurate and reliable, so far. Keep in mind Co-Ax it´s relatively new and maybe not proven enough in the real world, so possibly your watchmaker is just beeing conservative.
Take rbt´s advice and keep Mrs. Claus happy.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your replies. Sorry I hosed up the non-co-axial ETA model number.

Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Georges just one question:-! Will your oppinion of the 2500c cal, change If It`s proven reliable for say 20 years?
Omega should have done what Rolex did at the time it launched the 3135 which means no to make compliments or make statements of the Co-Ax 10 years service intervals when in reality Omega sent an email to Co Ax owners that they would have to service their watch every6-8 years instead of 10. Rolex clearly precises in its user's manual that the service interval is every 5 years but yet you see people wearing their Rolex without a single problem for more over 15 years. With vintage inhouse Omega calibres, you didn't need to have to service them every 5 years unlike the eta 2892-a2. The 2500 is nice but for me it will never match the quality of its glorious vintage inhouse predecessors from the pre Hayek Eta era. Would the Co Axial been in house and not using the widest used ebauche then my opinion would have been different.
Hope this answers the question.

regards

georges

1 - 10 of 10 Posts