WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried going to the Kobold website lately? I tried tonight, and it just takes you to a company called Heroku.

This isn't looking good.

·
2,104 Posts
Based on Kobold's Instagram I'm thinking they will relaunch as some type of lifestyle brand as they seem to be making boots, belts, wallets etc. just a guess on my part though.

Regards,

Ren

·
Registered
303 Posts
Let's hope Kobold stays focused on watches. So much time and money invested in building the brand. If they want to do clothing fine but start something new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like they have great problems. I know Michael for several years, been with him in Nepal for the opening in 2012, went tracking with great Sherpa Thundu, which died last year and I spend so much money buying 10 watches and several prototypes. My Seal Bronze, which is the prototype Michael owned and which he sold to me last year with a defect crown waits since October 2017 to be repaired but I hear only excuses but no date. Very sad story, which led to the decision to sell my collection. Not good what Michael is doing here. I'd love to give my watches to German watchmakers but due to the special tools, nobody can open the case. Anybody else who feels ripped off?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I needed my Limits A repaired and had trouble contacting the company.
Eventually Micheal responded but I just didn't feel right about sending the watch, so I didn't.
Had local watchmaker work on it.
Yeah, doesn't look good for the brand.

·
Moderator German Watches Forum
6,126 Posts
Looks like they have great problems. I know Michael for several years, been with him in Nepal for the opening in 2012, went tracking with great Sherpa Thundu, which died last year and I spend so much money buying 10 watches and several prototypes. My Seal Bronze, which is the prototype Michael owned and which he sold to me last year with a defect crown waits since October 2017 to be repaired but I hear only excuses but no date. Very sad story, which led to the decision to sell my collection. Not good what Michael is doing here. I'd love to give my watches to German watchmakers but due to the special tools, nobody can open the case. Anybody else who feels ripped off?
German watchmakers are telling you they cannot remove the case backs
from your Kobold watches? I am surprised to hear that. I suggest you
try German watchmakers who learned watchmaking in Germany.

Thanks,
rationaltime

·
Registered
46 Posts
Speaking of... I have a Spirit of America I would like to have looked at. Does anyone know of any US-based companies that can open and service them?

·
Registered
3 Posts
German watchmakers are telling you they cannot remove the case backs
from your Kobold watches? I am surprised to hear that. I suggest you
try German watchmakers who learned watchmaking in Germany.

Thanks,
rationaltime

Very funny rationaltime. I assume that you either do not have a Kobold with that special caseback. You need a special device, which invented somehow so that since a few years only they can service it. No problem with the older ones before 2012 or so.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Lefty loosey. No special tool required.
Hopefully your bronze case case threads haven’t seized up, which would make the case difficult to open.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Actually, a special tool is required. I have the same issue with my Soarway diver 43. The smooth caseback was by design, and Kobold does have a special tool at their Mary Oaks farm location to do this, but from my understanding that place is a ghost town, and that machine was frequently broken. I know a few people that used to work for them, and this info came from them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
what happened to the old rubber ball technique.....these cases have been around a long time....there were "special" balls that went on the caseback and were able to remove.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seriously, that's it? I got the same song and dance from Kobold about the cases needing to be opened by them. But from what you're saying anyone can open them using the compression ball technique?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yes. There are many people that service kobolds....Jack at IWW is very good....and he has worked on seals and other kobolds in the past...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts