WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should be working on other things, but inspiration struck after sketching a few watch design ideas while soaking up some dull TV. I'm not really a 3D modelling type of guy, so this kind of work is a bit outside of my usual scope.

I tried on an AP Royal Oak & IWC Ingenieur a while back and have recently been smitten by (but haven't been able to try on) the offerings from Linde Werdelin. As such you'll see the influence here.

I'm going to put a fork in it for the moment, as I have more pressing projects to attend to. I wish I knew more about texturing and lighting, as this is definitely guesswork.

I'll likely come back to this when I have a chance. The dial doesn't really match my sketch at this point. I have a neat idea for a date window and I'm not satisfied with the hands (too Linde Werdelish). I'll also mock up a display back and do a simplified model of the movement (I'm thinking 2892).

I thought I'd differentiated the link flow of the bracelet from Linde Werdelin, but it looks like I've copied that too. When I get back to it, it should look more like it's own watch. I'm also not happy with the brushed steel texture. I have literally no experience with texturing, anyone have any good resources for Cinema4D?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I like it! But I would say eliminate the odd fork on the left side. I know it's there to mirror the crown guard, it just doesn't do anything for me. Love the rest of the case shape though!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like it! But I would say eliminate the odd fork on the left side. I know it's there to mirror the crown guard, it just doesn't do anything for me. Love the rest of the case shape though!
I definitely considered closing the 'fork' as you suggest. When I come back to it I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm really impressed by the quality of image that folks here can generate. But the case is way too aggressive for my personal taste and it dwarfs the dial.

I like the dial though. Keep it up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I sort of agree about the "fork" or mirrored shoulders. But I think there is some potential there. It seems that it is the usual case that the practicality of shoulders eliminates the need to make them symmetrical. The fact that you left it there for whatever reason is important and a step away from the norm. It seems an incredible opportunity to do something more unique.

Instead, I think you should do something else to offset the crown, like putting in a sapphire encased emblem etc. Maybe something less cheesy, but for such a radical aesthetic, I don't feel its unwarranted.

My opinion, anyhow.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The slotted bezel is pretty compelling but the big bosses at the 12:00 and 6:00 position seem superfluous compared to the IWC Ingenieur or AP RO.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice, imho would just make the 3, 6, 9, 12 Hour markers a larger Trapezium shape to match the angles of the case.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually like the fork detail on the oposite side of the crown. It protects the case and when the forks are worn because of use, it will add character to the watch. This is a sports watch afterall. They are supposed to be used as such.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts