• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread will be used to discuss the name for the "300". In particular what I think we should cover is:
  1. Name for the watch?
  2. Whether everyone would like to print the name on the dial? This takes on a different importance if we are going to print the name on the dial.
If there are other issues to be raised regarding the choice of a name and how it will be used on the project please feel free to bring it up.

I know there was some discussion about this in the old Project 300 thread but I would ask that those of you that participated in that dicussion make your points again here.

Depending on the number of name choices Iwill post a poll。

I will try to add more including guidlelines for naming the watch is necessary。 

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
To complement the original's nautical motif, I was thinking that something topographical would be interesting. What about "MkII Sublitoral"? It is the zone extending to the edge of the continental shelf and to the limits of where light passes into the seas. It is also a rough approximation of the watch's diving range.

I think we absolutely should put the name of the watch on the face. While the sterile watch demographic has been well-served by MkII in the past, I do not think that that direction is at all fitting for this model. The original has a large Omega logo and three lines of text; it is a graceful in comparison to the long-form novel of the modern Seamaster Professional and Planet Ocean models (logo + 6 lines!). To minimize it would be to repeat or worsen the mistake of the PRS-14 - the dial will seem entirely too sparse and empty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
"Spindrift 200/300"

-the water/mist that blows of the waves during gales; Im biased to sailing terms...guess we will all want something different lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
"Portsmouth", the Royal Navy's main naval facility and where the original SM300 was undoubtedly used.

Perhaps just three lines:

MKII
<name>
300m

small font in 70's style script would be cool. MKII of course in the logo style.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I did some rough drawings and came up with a simply yet what
seems balanced look for the dial:

Just under larger triangle would be MIIK,

and then above the 6 at or about same location as the MIIK
would be a Y(Yao) which would author the watch yet again
and would blend with the large triangle.

then under the Y following the bottom cresent shape of the
dial but above the number or indicie would be 300M Auto or just 300m
with a cursive font perhaps....

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Keeping with the Island theme after the Kingston, how about the using the popular Island name of Winston as in the "Winston 300"? Alternatively just the "MKII 300" works for me & will give a nice clean dial.

·
Registered
334 Posts
"Mare Vinco" is Sea Master in Latin. Kinda has as a cool ring to it. Probably would not make it past the trademark police.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Yao said:
I know there was some discussion about this in the old Project 300 thread but I would ask that those of you that participated in that dicussion make your points again here.
I said it before, I like the suggestion by tmoris: MKII P300 (https://www.watchuseek.com/f325/project-300-a-390501-16.html#post4002671)

Along the same lines: MKII - 300 or MKII / 300 (https://www.watchuseek.com/f325/project-300-a-390501-16.html#post4002870)

And if we are going to borrow from Latin, why not MKII - CCC?

RonB

·
Registered
7 Posts
"Portsmouth", the Royal Navy's main naval facility and where the original SM300 was undoubtedly used.

Perhaps just three lines:

MKII
<name>
300m

small font in 70's style script would be cool. MKII of course in the logo style.
A couple thoughts in the Royal Navy vein -

Lochinvar - The HMS Lochinvar was one of the early clearance diver training platforms.

Reclaim - The HMS Reclaim was the Royal Navy's deep diving tender beginning in 1948.

Falkland - Clearance divers were heavily involved in mine disposal during the Falkland Islands conflict.

Gibraltar - On 1942 December 17, 6 Italians on three manned torpedoes attacked Gibraltar harbor. A British patrol boat killed one torpedo's crew (Lt. Visintini and Petty Officer Magro) with a depth charge. Their bodies were recovered, and their swimfins were taken and used by two of Gibraltar's British guard divers (who dived with Davis Escape Sets and breaststroke swimming and no fins) (Sydney Knowles and Commander Lionel Crabb). This was the first known British frogman use of swimfins, rather than a Sladen suit and weighted boots riding a Chariot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Lochinvar - The HMS Lochinvar was one of the early clearance diver training platforms.
Lochinvar is certainly an original. I kinda dig it.

Gibraltar - On 1942 December 17, 6 Italians on three manned torpedoes attacked Gibraltar harbor. A British patrol boat killed one torpedo's crew (Lt. Visintini and Petty Officer Magro) with a depth charge. Their bodies were recovered, and their swimfins were taken and used by two of Gibraltar's British guard divers (who dived with Davis Escape Sets and breaststroke swimming and no fins) (Sydney Knowles and Commander Lionel Crabb). This was the first known British frogman use of swimfins, rather than a Sladen suit and weighted boots riding a Chariot.
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I said it before, I like the suggestion by tmoris: MKII P300 (https://www.watchuseek.com/f325/project-300-a-390501-16.html#post4002671)

Along the same lines: MKII - 300 or MKII / 300 (https://www.watchuseek.com/f325/project-300-a-390501-16.html#post4002870)

And if we are going to borrow from Latin, why not MKII - CCC?

RonB
I like all of the Above and even a few others:

MKII SUB300

MKII DESCENT

The word descent comes from the term descend wich means to go down basically.

300 DESCENT

DESCENT 300

Something with DECENT you get the picture. I dive and the decent is one of the best parts or my dives.

We can have various options of this like the same MIIK logo as seen on the Kingston under the 12 o'clock Big triangle and then 2 lines above the 6 o'clock; 1st line "SUB300" (white) and "DESCENT" (red) or a double red combo, just throwing some things in the mix. Or both in one line all red or all white. Or if its simplicity we all end up going with just MIIK up top and DESCENT on the bottom.

I also like the name "Slip Stream" maybe "Slip Stream 300" we could have the infinity/eternity symbol on the case back it looks like a number 8 on its side. I know its not really a divers term more a sci/fi name. The 8 on its side could also be placed above the name DESCENT

Just my 2 (de)cents, this is starting to get interesting b-)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Slipstream is kind of "Meh" for me. I like MKII Pheon, MKII CCC, or MKII Descent of the ones which have come up so far.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Not sure if you're aware of this, but Snakehead also refers to Chinese gangs or organized crime groups that engage in human trafficking and smuggling.

In the U.S., snakehead fishes have become environmental menaces, as they are highly predatory and damage ecosystems.

Due to these negative connotations, I'd much rather avoid this name.

How about the MKII SnakeHead. A watch that is wearable and comfortable on land aswell as water. Like the SnakeHead fish.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.