• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
MKII Oceanus

OKEANOS (or Oceanus) was the Titan god of the great earth-encircling river Okeanos.
Not bad, but Casio's high end line of solar/atomic watches is called Oceanus:

OCW-S1000J-1AJF__23726_zoom.jpg

Okeanos I kinda like though - whether or not it's too close to Poljot's sort of iconic Okeah chonograph (Russian for "ocean" and pronounced Oak-Ee-Ahn) is a small consideration though:

866558305_8c76661659.jpg

I'd consider adding it to my list of finalist though.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
ljb187 said:
... Okeanos I kinda like though - whether or not it's too close to Poljot's sort of iconic Okeah chonograph (Russian for "ocean" and pronounced Oak-Ee-Ahn) is a small consideration though ..... I'd consider adding it to my list of finalist though.
If we're willing to walk a line this fine, then we should / could consider Neptunus as well.

Neptunus is the proper Latin spelling for Neptune, God of the Sea; his Greek name is Poseidon. My Google-search didn't show any watches carrying this name; only yachts. I can see the name Neptunus 300 Chronos, mixing Latin, Greek and Arabic numbers

RonB

PS - LBJ, thanks for the pic of and reference to the Poljot Okeah Chonograph - never seen that one before.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I was reading an article about the future of oceanic exploration, and ran across this:

"In early 1960, the United States laid claim to that dominance [of undersea exploration] by touching down with the bathyscape Trieste at a depth of 35,797 feet in the Mariana Trench, the deepest known part of our ocean."

I did some digging on the Trieste and found this on Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathyscaphe_Trieste):

The Trieste was a Swiss-designed, Italian-built deep-diving research bathyscaphe ("deep boat") with a crew of two, which reached a record maximum depth of about 10,911 metres (35,797 ft), in the deepest known part of the Earth's oceans, the Challenger Deep, in the Mariana Trench near Guam, on January 23, 1960.
Trieste remains the only manned vessel to have reached the bottom of Challenger Deep. The vessel is currently on display at the U.S. Navy Museum.

It's certainly got the diving pedigree, and it sounds pretty good. MKII Trieste. Yes, no, maybe?

·
Registered
43 Posts
How about forgetting about the names and instead use numbers and call it the MKII 003

This could be a reference to Bond because he was 007 and it is also 300 backwards.

Alternatively instead of numbers or words use a symbol, for instance you could use a triangle with the 3 sides standing for the 3 in 300 so it would be Mkii ^

You could also just call it the "Project 300"

Personally i think it should be called the "Project 300"

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
My vote is for "Project 300"

How about forgetting about the names and instead use numbers and call it the MKII 003

This could be a reference to Bond because he was 007 and it is also 300 backwards.

Alternatively instead of numbers or words use a symbol, for instance you could use a triangle with the 3 sides standing for the 3 in 300 so it would be Mkii ^

You could also just call it the "Project 300"

Personally i think it should be called the "Project 300"

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Agreed. Keep it simple- "Project 300" does it for me- I like Artonthewrist's ideas above as well. That is all.

I'm perfectly fine with just "300" myself. It's both straightforward while retaining that "in-the-know" flair to it without being overly exclusively insider's cryptic. I personally don't care much for islands, the history of ports and such. They may have a decent history, but it's all too obscure for me to really appreciate

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think "Project 300" is definite contender.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are you thinking of putting the name "Project 300" on the face?

Can somebody mock that up and see how that would actually look? I understand keeping it simple and low key but that just seems too prototype to me.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Are you thinking of putting the name "Project 300" on the bezel?

Can somebody mock that up and see how that would actually look? I understand keeping it simple and low key but that just seems too prototype to me.
I already mocked it up on the big 300 thread.

I have full watch mocks of some of the other leading contenders from this thread that I will post once Bill opens up the other design thread.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Option 1: "MkII Project 300"
Option 2: "MkII Molon Labe"
Option 3: "MkII Spartan"
Let's avoid tying this watch to the Battle of Thermopylae, which wasn't actually fought by just 300, or the borderline racist comic book by the despicable Frank Miller, or the ridiculous film adaption by Zach Snyder. If anything, the repeated attempts of Sparta to destroy Athenian democracy should make them contemptible in modern context. We might as well consider MkII Brownshirt.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, I received an email today confirming the pre order is full and we are going forward on the next step. I would like to see the names given compiled in a list and may get to it after dinner. There is a hand full of possibles and several I wouldn't even consider. I'm just glad this thing is getting some legs.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well, I received an email today confirming the pre order is full and we are going forward on the next step. I would like to see the names given compiled in a list and may get to it after dinner. There is a hand full of possibles and several I wouldn't even consider. I'm just glad this thing is getting some legs.
This is great news!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Sorry to go off topic here, but Athenian democracy wasn't really all that admirable, IMO. There's a reason the Peloponnesian War broke out, and it can be summed up thusly: Athenians were largely a bunch of pompous a-holes.

Sparta, on the other hand, is probably best remembered as a society that exemplified the virtues of fighting hard, training even harder, and being the toughest S.O.B.s around.

Let's avoid tying this watch to the Battle of Thermopylae, which wasn't actually fought by just 300, or the borderline racist comic book by the despicable Frank Miller, or the ridiculous film adaption by Zach Snyder. If anything, the repeated attempts of Sparta to destroy Athenian democracy should make them contemptible in modern context. We might as well consider MkII Brownshirt.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Sorry to go off topic here, but Athenian democracy wasn't really all that admirable, IMO. There's a reason the Peloponnesian War broke out, and it can be summed up thusly: Athenians were largely a bunch of pompous a-holes.

Sparta, on the other hand, is probably best remembered as a society that exemplified the virtues of fighting hard, training even harder, and being the toughest S.O.B.s around.
Yeah, what a bunch of jerks! Go to hell Socrates! I'll tell you where you can stick your method.

As for badassery, is this actually a good metric for anything? I mean, weren't the Panzer Lehr Division a bunch of hard-fighting SOBs? In my book, you need to be fighting for something decent and not just, you know, good at fighting. At the very least, can we agree that since there's been no Seamaster connection to Greece, ancient or modern, Spartan references seem out of place?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Although I'm a bit of a fan of "molon labe" and all that, I'll second that motion to leave references to Leonidas, Thermopylae, and the whole "300 Spartans" aside; other than hashing to the same number, they really don't have anything to do with our Seamaster/Project 300.

Project 300, Seafire, Pheon, and CCC have stuck with me. In that order.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Agreed. Let's leave the ancient Greek references out.

Also, I do agree that badassery is not enough for respect and the Spartans were often not very nice at all ...

So, we still have (IMO) Project 300 and Pheon as good contenders ...

101 - 120 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.