• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wanted to combine several of the names listed together in one spot, even if for my own sanity. This thread has replies going in all directions and is hard to follow for idiots like me. I left off the descriptions and definitions so the names can stand on their own. Even if Douche Bag meant the greatest thing on earth I wouldn't want my watch named that. As you can see there are way to many possibilities to go with. If I missed a name you mentioned it's because this thread is allover the place not because I ignored it. In case you didn't hear the pre order is full and the project is moving forward. Lets narrow this down to some solid candidates and give it some thought. It should be easy to create a top 10 at the most. If anyone cares to respond or pm me feel free.
That is all, carry on.
Chris

Project 300 proposed names in the order I found them:
P300
Project 300
Sublitoral
Spindrift
Pheon
Lochinvar
Reclaim
Falkland
Gibraltar
Winston
Spartan
Mare Vinco
Seafire
CCC
DESCENT
slip stream
SnakeHead
Challenger Deep
Galileo
Achilles
Neptune
Dark Water
Cobra
Adventure
Amphibian
Trident
Calypso
Trieste
Leonardo
Reef
Merman
Frogman
Conshelf I
Conshelf II
Tektite I
Tektite II
Argo
KRAKEN
zephyr
wyvern
hermetic
oculus
nexus
elixir
reflux
nemesis
matrimer
Hydra
Odyssey
Dark Side
Oceanus
Seaworthy
Seaworth
Argo Navis

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, didn't realize we had that many options. Thanks for taking the time to organize that. My top 10 looks like this (more or less in order):

1. Pheon
2. Project 300
3. Trieste
4. Falkland
5. Seafire
6. CCC
7. Challenger Deep
8. Argo
9. Hydra
10. Odyssey

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wanted to combine several of the names listed together in one spot, even if for my own sanity. I'm posting this in two spots hoping everyone can find it. This thread has replies going in all directions and is hard to follow for idiots like me. I left off the descriptions and definitions so the names can stand on their own. Even if Douche Bag meant the greatest thing on earth I wouldn't want my watch named that. As you can see there are way to many possibilities to go with. If I missed a name you mentioned it's because this thread is allover the place not because I ignored it. In case you didn't hear the pre order is full and the project is moving forward. Lets narrow this down to some solid candidates and give it some thought. It should be easy to create a top 10 at the most. If anyone cares to respond or pm me feel free.
That is all, carry on.
Chris

Project 300 proposed names in the order I found them:
P300
Project 300
Sublitoral
Spindrift
Pheon
Lochinvar
Reclaim
Falkland
Gibraltar
Winston
Spartan
Mare Vinco
Seafire
CCC
DESCENT
slip stream
SnakeHead
Challenger Deep
Galileo
Achilles
Neptune
Dark Water
Cobra
Adventure
Amphibian
Trident
Calypso
Trieste
Leonardo
Reef
Merman
Frogman
Conshelf I
Conshelf II
Tektite I
Tektite II
Argo
KRAKEN
zephyr
wyvern
hermetic
oculus
nexus
elixir
reflux
nemesis
matrimer
Hydra
Odyssey
Dark Side
Oceanus
Seaworthy
Seaworth
Argo Navis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
I'm going to add some names I came up with. I did not check to see if any/all of these have already been used by other watches, so please don't flame me if I list a name already is use by some famous watch brand!

Ok, here we go with the stream of consciousness, in no particular order :

Freediver
Subaquatic
Sea Dog
Black Sea
Plongeur de Mer
Spearfisher / Spearfish
Coral Caye
Open Ocean
Marlinspike
Faroe (aka a shelf atoll)
Akheilos (Greek shark shaped sea spirit)
Kronosaurus (look it up! these were some baaad sea dinosaurs!)
Hippocampus
Phorcys (Greek god o the hidden dangers of the deep)
Tangaroa / Takaroa (Maori god of the sea)
Njord (scandinavian god of the sea / seafaring)
Hydroplane
Hydrofoil
Hydronaut
Sea Spray
Ocean 300
300 Seas
Sea Scout
Rip Tide
Fjord
Depth Master
Depth Charge
Clipper
Lamprey
Leatherback
Trilobite
Squall
Hydra
Trans-Ocean
Reef Ranger
Reef Runner
Reefer ;)
Archipelago
Shoal
Lagoon
Lagunaire
Narwhal
Sea Lion

Thanks for your consideration!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Thanks chris7013 for compiling this list and putting the names in chronological order, showing that we come full circle on page 6 of this thread ;-)

Not sure how Mr. Yao feels about this, but I think we should vote on this long list (each person can pick 5 names), create a shortlist of 5 and then put that up for the final vote. Just an idea :think:

RonB

·
Registered
809 Posts
looking at that list..i think "Project 300" would sound better, look better on a dial, and hold more of a military, homage, feel than any of the other sugestions...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I agree with you completely! Well Said!

Another forum member said before, something to the effect, that 'Project 300' has the innocent-on-the-surface name that hints or suggests what could be a special operation or a special Dark Project-It has that mysterious 'could-be' connotation, that seems harmless on its face, but also possesses an aspect that hints of something deeper, of qualities that lie beneath the surface, waiting to emerge when the time is right or necessary. The idea of the script on the dial face below the center point that was put forth looks good, visually simple but appealing, and of a nature that suggests a sophisticated utilitarianism. (In a sense, reminds me of our Jeep Grand Cherokee, that looks like in any other SUV on the lot, but has the capability to go anywhere, as fast or perhaps faster and as efficiently, and with no worries, as any other wheeled four-by.) I like the idea of a high-relief or sculpted case-back with art work that would jump out at you or grab your attention, if you chose to show off your watch.

I also agree that the watch should not possess 'what appears to be or is' a direct linkage of any sort, to military or covert forces or special OPS either for the US Government, or any other for that matter. I believe those individuals and their families deserve the highest form of respect for what they train for and do, and co-opting or commercializing any aspect of their service, whoever they work for, does not give them the respect and gratitude they are due. With all due respect to folks who suggest something rooted in the tradition of the US Navy or the British Naval forces, the appeal of this watch, which is based on a certain tradition, can be more universal if it breaks away from the specifics of that tradition.

My opinion is that if someone desires to purchase a special commemorative edition, there are plenty of different options that have been or will be available.

Sorry for the long post. I have learned so much from the discussions and ideas here about different points of view and of history. And certainly about the wealth of different watches that have been produced over time with all those fascinating names that have already been used in the past or will be used on watches that are already in the works. I value that richness and wish to thank all who have contributed - This is my humble opinion.:think:

looking at that list..i think "Project 300" would sound better, look better on a dial, and hold more of a military, homage, feel than any of the other sugestions...

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
In my opinion which fell freely from my arse, an otherwise great watch whose attempt to have a clean dial only seems like it houses a dial made by some guy in his mom's basement with a stamp-press machine, a bag of Dorito, and an internet connection.

I prefer a watch that displays meaningful specs and bears an original name on the dial.

·
Registered
145 Posts
In my opinion which fell freely from my arse, an otherwise great watch whose attempt to have a clean dial only seems like it houses a dial made by some guy in his mom's basement with a stamp-press machine, a bag of Dorito, and an internet connection.

I prefer a watch that displays meaningful specs and bears an original name on the dial.
So I take it you wont be ordering one? What exactly are you talking about? This project hasn't even been produced, so I can only assume you're commenting on some of Bill's other creations. Please enlighten the rest of us.
Chris

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So, Do you have something positive to add to this discussion? :think:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
So, Do you have something positive to add to this discussion? :think:
Maybe he could have been less blunt, but it seems a reasonable position - he doesn't want the dial to be sparse. He wants a name on it. Which I think is the general trend of this discussion so far.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
ASRSPR said:
Maybe he could have been less blunt, but it seems a reasonable position - he doesn't want the dial to be sparse. He wants a name on it. Which I think is the general trend of this discussion so far.
in my opinion, the post was condescending, ignorant, and juvenile but it wasn't blunt. A reasonable position stated unreasonably flatters neither the position nor the person.

That said, I highly doubt if this project would end up with a sterile dial, for the simple reason that Bill wants to avoid people using it to produce fake SM300s, which a sterile dial would certainly abet. So it should be all good. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
There are a lot on the list that I like but I would also like to throw the name "Trinidad" into the hat.

Trinidad (Spanish: "Trinity") is the larger and more populous of the two major islands and numerous landforms which make up the island nation of Trinidad and Tobago. It is the southernmost island in the Caribbean and lies just 11 km (7 miles) off the northeastern coast of Venezuela. With an area of 4,768 km² (1,864 sq. mi.) it is also the fifth largest in the West Indies. Time zone: GMT −4 (Trinidad does not observe DST).

The main reason being I think it is in line with Kingston. I also do not believe it is in use by another watch.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I personally like the name Portsmouth. It has two syllables (like Kingston). It is a Naval Port in the U.K.

MKII
Auto-Winding

300m-1000ft
Portsmouth​

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just wanted to put a couple more names on the table:

The MK II "Airborne"

I know it sounds more of an Aviator type name but its a Military watch and I think it would look good.

Also The MK II "Elite"

Submitted for your consideration

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'd forgotten my original choices, and picked from the list again. Turns out that I'm pretty consistent although I admit that Portsmouth has sneaked its way into the list: (Project) 300, Pheon, CCC, Seafire, and Portsmouth are on my short list now.

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
Chris...thanks for the compilation. This will make my task easier. Please note that I will be culling the list for old trademarks and other names that may cause trademark confusion. Based on the final list I will add some of my own suggestions to the mix as well.

I will am preparing the size survey right now. I will get to the name issue after we have the size survey open and collecting replies. If anyone has any additional suggestions please post them as soon as you can if you would like to put them up for consideration.

121 - 140 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.