• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bill,

Here's my suggestion for the name of the Project 300 watch. It's long-winded so apologies in advance.

The Project 300 is a homage to the Omega Seamaster 300 or more correctly, the MOD (Ministry of Defence) Seamaster 300. The MOD SM300's design became the SPEC for the succeeding MOD-issued dive watches.

See Ned from MWR's great CD on MOD watch standards 66-4 (Part 1)/Issue 1-3:

Guide to Mod Watch Standards

The British Royal Navy and their divers were the most famous consumers of the MOD SM300. The battle flag of the British Royal Navy is the White Ensign and it is flown on Royal Navy ships. (see Wikipedia: White Ensign - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The White Ensign flag:

300px-Naval_Ensign_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png

white_ensign_closeup.jpg

So my suggestion is to call the Project 300 watch the

Ensign 300

However, that means that the watch will have to have a WR of 300 meters or the 300 part doesn't make sense.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I wanted to combine several of the names listed together in one spot, even if for my own sanity. This thread has replies going in all directions and is hard to follow for idiots like me. I left off the descriptions and definitions so the names can stand on their own. Even if Douche Bag meant the greatest thing on earth I wouldn't want my watch named that. As you can see there are way to many possibilities to go with. If I missed a name you mentioned it's because this thread is allover the place not because I ignored it. In case you didn't hear the pre order is full and the project is moving forward. Lets narrow this down to some solid candidates and give it some thought. It should be easy to create a top 10 at the most. If anyone cares to respond or pm me feel free.
That is all, carry on.
Chris

Project 300 proposed names in the order I found them:
P300
Project 300
Sublitoral
Spindrift
Pheon
Lochinvar
Reclaim
Falkland
Gibraltar
Winston
Spartan
Mare Vinco
Seafire
CCC
DESCENT
slip stream
SnakeHead
Challenger Deep
Galileo
Achilles
Neptune
Dark Water
Cobra
Adventure
Amphibian
Trident
Calypso
Trieste
Leonardo
Reef
Merman
Frogman
Conshelf I
Conshelf II
Tektite I
Tektite II
Argo
KRAKEN
zephyr
wyvern
hermetic
oculus
nexus
elixir
reflux
nemesis
matrimer
Hydra
Odyssey
Dark Side
Oceanus
Seaworthy
Seaworth
Argo Navis
MllK
ABYSS

MllK
SEAVIEW

MllK
DRAKE PASSAGE

MllK
TYPHOON

MllK
DIVE MASTER

MllK
7 MARES

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
I have compiled the list from basically page 7 of the thread onwards.

I will be going the the names myself to cull the list. Its a really good list but I can already see some problematic names on the list. Names that other companies are already using. I know that many companies use the same name for watches concurrently but frankly I am not sure of the legality and trademark issues so its probably best to avoid the question altogether.

I have a few other names as well that I had thought of...some from the time I was in Taiwan on vacation last summer. I will come up with a short list and get a survey up by Tuesday.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What about some play on Omega, with the meaning of last or final? Like Terminus or Ultimum, except catchy. Has that been discussed?

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
Well I add it to the list. The list is quite long so I will edit it down to something more manageable that we can fit into a survey.

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Well I add it to the list. The list is quite long so I will edit it down to something more manageable that we can fit into a survey.
The opening of the name survey will have to be postponed until Thursday. I am fighting a bad cold and while I could finish the survey tonight I think it best I turn in for the evening. The cold is on the verge of getting better or a lot worse, not sure which so I am off to see the doctor in the morning. So far nothing as serious as we have seen in the past but I am taking no chances.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Sorry to hear that, Bill. Drink lots of liquids, keep you body warm, and just rest, rest, and rest. If you have a neti pot, I find that that helps also.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Hey Bill, Hope you are feeling better soon. Probably seems silly, but I always find some kind of chicken-broth-based soup helps, although my favorite chef from Malaysia makes a great hot and spicy beef noodle soup that always chases a cold out-lots of hot pepper oil in that. Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery - Take care of yourself.

-Best

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Hey Bill, Hope you are feeling better soon. Probably seems silly, but I always find some kind of chicken-broth-based soup helps, although my favorite chef from Malaysia makes a great hot and spicy beef noodle soup that always chases a cold out-lots of hot pepper oil in that. Anyway, wishing you a speedy recovery - Take care of yourself.

-Best
I'm not sick, but I am hungry and man does that sound good!

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #152 (Edited)
I have just sent a private survey link specifically for the Plankowners (do not post the link please! - if someone didn't get the e-mail please contact us and we will re-send it to you.)

I am posting a poll here for everyone else to vote on the Project 300 name. Plankowners are still welcome to take the poll but if you are a Plankowner please ALSO take the survey through the e-mail that I just sent out. If you vote in this WUS poll it will not be incorporated into the Plankowner Survey.

About the names shown on the list. I had to cull some names because they are already in use such as Hydronaut (Rolex/Tudor) and others were scrubbed for the following reasons:

* Too direct a military reference which could cause offense (e.g. remember my LRRP dust-up)
* Name was too long
* The others I just had to cut based on my personal reaction to them because we had more than 100 suggestions.

So my apologies if you suggestion didn't make the cut for the survey.

Thanks for eveyone's well wishes. I am already on antibiotics and drinking enough water to fill a canal. Fortunately the cold I have is still just a cold which means I am just running around a little slower - which is good. In the past the cold would automatically progress to an ear infection and total incapacitation so everything is "okay" but got to make sure I don't push myself too hard for another week while I am on the meds.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thanks Bill! Sounds like experience has been a good teacher for you. Glad to hear that you're handling this cold better (knock on wood). Thanks for both polls. Whichever name gets chosen, I'm sure I'm going to be thrilled with the watch.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Looks like plain old "Project 300" is in the lead by a fair amount, but there are definitely alot more preorders than responses so far.

One potential interpretation that I'd already posted earlier:

i-xvdzdJd-XL.jpg

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Looks like plain old "Project 300" is in the lead by a fair amount, but there are definitely alot more preorders than responses so far.

View attachment 630336
:-! Thanks, it looks great....but I wonder what this would look like with a date window at 4:30 and a black date wheel?

I appreciate your work on all of these; they have really enhanced the discussion and vision of the Project.

-Cheers! :-!

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Interesting thread. I've lurked here long enough to know what Bill Yao has been producing the last couple of years and in fact recently placed an order for a MKII Milsub (HRV) non-date.

I have peeked in from time to time to see the development of his Project 300. Names and marking are a large part of the aesthetic appeal and as such can be critical to the sales success of anyone's products. I see the need for a system to be used as opposed to naming each model each time.

I have broadly thought that P300 would be in an entirely different direction for this model and all the ones that succeed it. Develop an alpha-numeric designation system that can accommodate all future models as certain car companies have; Porsche, Ferrari, McLaren, and BMW come to mind. Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad and Canon also do that with there DSLRs.

P300 could only be the beginning. But of course because 100, 200, 300, 500 and 1000 are typically used to denote their depth rating so more variants can be produced in the future without the rush for a new name every time that may be fraught with legal issues.

P100
P200
P300
M100
M200
M300
R100
R200
R300
RS100
RS300
RS1000

or add the depth unit

P100M
P300M
M100M
M200M
M300M
R100M
R200M
R300M
RS100M
RS300M
RS1000M

Another approach could be deriving numeric values from case dimensions.
P38
P42
P44
R43
R46
RS46

And on and on ... but you get the ideas. Some combinations subliminally suggest fast cars, while others suggest firearms. Which may not be a bad thing. Again, it's so subtle as to be subliminal. One does have to push the automobile, camera or firearm connection.

Dial markings can become this in the proper positions of course:
MKII
RS300
300m/1000ft

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #160

View attachment 630336
Looks good. The result of the survey has been posted here and here.

I will be closing this thread now so we can move onto the next stage.

I wasn't able to login yesterday as planned. My home computer decided to go all wonky, giving me the BSOD (blue screen of death) multiple times for no apparent reason. Did some updates and I "think" the problem is solved...so far.

I will check back in tomorrow.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.