WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of the limited editions? I have one on order and can't wait. My first DOXA and first orange face. I understand its a matte orange unlike other DOXs which I assume are glossy.

Hope we can get a few forum members to support Project Aware. God knows the oceans need cleanup and we must save our coral reefs.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Welcome to the Doxa Forum!!!

I have seen a couple of those floating around here on the forum, but I cannot remember which members own one. Congrats, as I think that it is a smart-looking piece that is also supporting a worthy and needed cause.

Please let us know when it arrives, and please give us your impression and a few pics..........we love pics. ;-)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I just received mine the other day. :-!

Just love the project aware logo and what they are committed to!

You will really love the watch, I know I do!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received my Project Aware # 45/92 on the fifth day after ordering it. Impressive.

I love the way it was packaged. I even got the free book (unimpressive).

I find that I may not be an orange guy. I like it it but don't love it. I found the BoR bracelet to be OK but no match for my Omega Seamaster chrono or my UN GMT Big Date bracelets. The deployant reeks of cheap and works about the same way.

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Well, I for one couldn't disagree more about the clasp. It's on par with or better than many watches I've tried on even at double or triple the price. Glad you've found others you like better though.

The bracelet is very popular amongst Doxa owners as well. I would truly like to see an individual bead version, but the current model is good looking, comfortable and very robust.

Haven't seen the new book yet myself (you're not referring to Dr. Peter Millar's orange 40 year history of the SUB I presume, but the new Doxa book on their 120th anniversary and history?). The fact they've included it free is certainly good of them, however not everyone will have an appreciation for such a gesture (or the book itself) I'm sure.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
The thing I like about the clasp is its simple, yet robust design. It is nothing fancy, but let me tell you............On a dive, there is no better IMHO.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Took me a little while to appreciate the BoR comfort and looks. Owned about 100 different divers from 500 to 5K and IMO its the most comfortable to wear of all of them. It may grow on you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have worn the Sub100T each day since it arrived. I do find it comfortable. I attribute a lot of that to the lighter weight (total watch and bracelet combined) vis a vis some of my heavier watches. I found the deployant mechanism somewhat coarse in its operation, the parts/pieces seemed thiner than the few others I am familiar with. I am not able to use the micro adjustment since interference is created with a part of the bracelet when I moved the micro. I like the diver extension better than what came on my new (Dec 2008) Rolex. It's all personal opinion isn't it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as the book, it appears to authored by Claude-Alain Kunze. Translated from French. Lots of quotes remain in French, some are segways into the new chapter. Its sturdy, well bound but printed on unusual paper. I can't quite put my finger on it. Thicker and less glossy that what I typically see. The cover is black and simply says, DOXA 1889.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
As far as the book, it appears to authored by Claude-Alain Kunze. Translated from French. Lots of quotes remain in French, some are segways into the new chapter. Its sturdy, well bound but printed on unusual paper. I can't quite put my finger on it. Thicker and less glossy that what I typically see. The cover is black and simply says, DOXA 1889.
Rainman, this is a new book that Doxa just started advertising recently. As far as I know, nobody else here on the forum has gotten to look at this book yet. There is another Doxa book that was authored by our own Dr. Pete Millar that is a masterpiece. Many of the members here had purchased that book, (I have 2 copies) hence the probable reason that nobody has seemingly gotten to look at this new book.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kostas, thanks. It would be fun to learn which countries the sold units are in. I momentarily forgot they are not sold sequentially. Now I am not sure how many are left. I have #45. A friend may get one for Father's Day here in S.E. Michigan USA

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just received mine yesterday. I would not describe the face as matte orange although I have no basis for comparison. I can say,for sure, that the face is a rich orange and very pleasing to the eye. The graphics are sharp and clear. The watch is a beauty and is very comfortable on the wrist. Be patient and take your time when resizing the bracelet!
Cheers,
John B.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Very nice, John B.
You are very right with your advice -- be patient when resizing the bracelet.
I made myself go slowly to not scratch the bracelet or strip the threads.

Best,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts