WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I like "Clipper" from the previous suggestions. Orion (after the 2001 Pan Am space ship) is sadly not an option since Nomos already has a (quite wonderful) watch by that name. We could continue the Kingston, Nassau, theme with "Montego" after MBJ, Montego Bay Jamaica, the airport in Jamaica where Ian Fleming wrote most of his books, including Goldfinger, the movie version of which features a classic Rolex GMT Master, the crown-guardless 6542 which this project references. Actually, I like this the best: Montego​.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
KEY WEST

Being the birthplace of PanAm. The town of KW has a Caribbean look and feel, so I think it's in line with the other names like Nassau and Kingston. And tbh, an American watch with an American history needs an American name. Although being European, I can see the point of that.

Menno

·
Registered
146 Posts
KEY WEST

Being the birthplace of PanAm. The town of KW has a Caribbean look and feel, so I think it's in line with the other names like Nassau and Kingston. And tbh, an American watch with an American history needs an American name. Although being European, I can see the point of that.

Menno

I'd agree with Menno - Key West has my vote. I think "travel" when I hear that name.

And Key West is the same length in characters as Kingston if a space is left between the two words.

·
Registered
23 Posts
KEY WEST

Menno
Gotta go with the above as well! Key West is fitting with the current theme of this series of watches by MKII. |>|>

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I must confess that, while I've always been a fan of the "Clipper" name, Menno's point is well taken. We have a "Kingston", a "Nassau" and now - perhaps - a "Key West". All the these watches SHARE so much. They share the same early R*l*x DNA ca. 1953, same cases, same bracelets, same hint of adventure in the names (James Bond or otherwise, the Caribbean has hinted at adventure since privateers plied their waters for Queen Elizabeth) and much more.

If you think of these watches as part of the same series, then it makes even more sense. However, Pan Am's headquarters were only briefly in Key West, and only for those first few months so they wouldn't lose the "Pan-American Mail" contract from the US Government:

"The airline was started by Juan Terry Trippe. His goal was, “To provide mass air transportation for the average man at rates he can afford to pay.”

Juan Trippe received the contract for US – Cuba mail service. In order to hold this air-mail contract Pan Am had to fly the Key West – Havana mail route by October 19, 1927. But the F-7 they ordered was not due to be delivered until September 30[SUP]th[/SUP]. Pan Am chartered a West Indian Aerial Express Fairchild for $145.50.

Service was started October 18, 1927 when La Nina flew 90 miles from Key West to Havana.
January 16, 1928 seven passengers aboard a Fokker F-7 inaugurated the first scheduled US flag commercial passenger service between Key West and Havana, a distance of 90 miles".

a quote from the Pan Am Airways website ( Pan Am History: Early Days of Pan Am ).

Therefore, I'd like to throw "Havana" in there as a possible name, as it was the Havana run - pushing service outside the US - , that put the "Pan" in PanAm". My $0.02

·
Sponsor
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like "Clipper" from the previous suggestions. Orion (after the 2001 Pan Am space ship) is sadly not an option since Nomos already has a (quite wonderful) watch by that name. We could continue the Kingston, Nassau, theme with "Montego" after MBJ, Montego Bay Jamaica, the airport in Jamaica where Ian Fleming wrote most of his books, including Goldfinger, the movie version of which features a classic Rolex GMT Master, the crown-guardless 6542 which this project references. Actually, I like this the best: Montego​.
I would be surprised if "Clipper" wasn't a PanAm trademark in some respect, may be not for watches in particular but frankly I would prefer not to even broach the issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My first thought when I saw the thread was Greenwich, but Menno's suggestion of Key West does seem to continue with the established theme.

·
Registered
148 Posts
While the reference to "PanAm" and "Clipper" might be restricted, the watch is based upon a GMT model, and Key West, Montego, Havana, etc., just don't connote the GMT concept enough. Names such as "Greenwich", "Meridian", and "Zulu Time" better convey this reference. I have also suggested a simple " MKII GMT" in the past, which I think is a clean and straight forward moniker.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Based on the name and history discussed here I like the Key West suggestion a lot.

I also see the point of connoting the GMT concept though don't know if Greenwich or Zulu Time have the same aura and fantasy feel to it. They are straight and to the point and tool like, but I am not sure that is what we want in the name.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I'm jealous of you guys. Key West is a fine name that's in the running for lot's of good reasons. It's why I sort of favored a name like Portsmouth of the 300 Project. It's great to have some tradition (Kingston, Nassau) and history (origins of the company) built into the name of the watch as it adds an extra amount of meaning and character that you can't find anywhere else - at any price!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
When I saw in the discussion the name "Meridian", I liked it so much that I wanted to steal it for Project 300. But that was before I got in on the PanAm!

It's got such a nice cadence to it, and the obvious association with time zones and international travel. It's an inspired choice.

Key West's original association with PanAm is well taken, but that marks such a limited and regional era in the company's history that doesn't reflect its later global reach. When you think Pan Am, you think of the blue globe logo, world travel, and maybe Juan Trippe's comically large office globe, not the tiny airline that flew 90 miles between Florida and Cuba.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I am on board with Key West or Havana to keep with the Nassau and Kingston theme. I really could care less if the watch is associated with PanAm beyond the aesthetics. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a pilot or executive for Pan Am. I like history but if you buy the watch you will know the history and that it is a GMT. A name related to PanAm other than a name containing Pan Am is equally as cryptic as Key West IMHO.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
When I saw in the discussion the name "Meridian", I liked it so much that I wanted to steal it for Project 300. But that was before I got in on the PanAm!

It's got such a nice cadence to it, and the obvious association with time zones and international travel. It's an inspired choice.
Meridian's not bad at all! This suggestion isn't necessarily better, but if you wanted a more technical sounding version of that name how about: "Zero Meridian" or the even sportier "Longitude 0"? "MKll Longitude 0" kind of has a nice ring.

P.S. I'm with the 300 guys but I like this kind of thing so I hope you don't mind me chiming in from time to time.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
tomr said:
... reference to "PanAm" and "Clipper" might be restricted ...
Has it already been established / confirmed / verified that the PanAm name can not be used?
If there are no restrictions, then I would like to keep PanAm in the name-race.

Otherwise, Menno's Key West suggestion is a very good one for several reasons.

RonB

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Has it already been established / confirmed / verified that the PanAm name can not be used?
If there are no restrictions, then I would like to keep PanAm in the name-race.

Otherwise, Menno's Key West suggestion is a very good one for several reasons.

RonB
Even if it is a case Bill could win why would he want to risk the cost? And a lawsuit would not speed watch delivery.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
While the reference to "PanAm" and "Clipper" might be restricted, the watch is based upon a GMT model, and Key West, Montego, Havana, etc., just don't connote the GMT concept enough. Names such as "Greenwich", "Meridian", and "Zulu Time" better convey this reference. I have also suggested a simple " MKII GMT" in the past, which I think is a clean and straight forward moniker.
Montego has a sort of nice 'ring', but that's all. And it reminds me of a Mercury "Montego" which was a dolled-up Ford sedan with different trim - totally meaningless (lipstick on a pig...). Havana? Nope.

:think: So I'm with you on this. 'MK II GMT.' Or, 'Meridian' has that nice ring (rolling syllables).

And, If you want to go obtuse and verbose; 'Meridian Zulu'.

Open to suggestions here! :)

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Montego has a sort of nice 'ring', but that's all. And it reminds me of a Mercury "Montego" which was a dolled-up Ford sedan with different trim - totally meaningless (lipstick on a pig...). Havana? Nope.

:think: So I'm with you on this. 'MK II GMT.' Or, 'Meridian' has that nice ring (rolling syllables).

And, If you want to go obtuse and verbose; 'Meridian Zulu'.

Open to suggestions here! :)
I could go with MKII GMT, MKII PROJECT GMT or MKII GMT LE (Limited Edition).

The only Zulu name I like would be Zulu Time but I am not really fealing it. Meridian is totally blah to me but I would not fight it.

1 - 20 of 249 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.