WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Perhaps it has to do with my faillure to express myself properly in English. After all, I'm not a native speaker/writer here. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

But, I think it's clear that I don't mind another name than Key West / Havana etc. Even names associated with traveling are fine. That's why wrote: . And perhaps I should have underlined the '...proper name...' part of my thread. It are the 'no-name' suggestions that drew my attention.

Menno
don't worry, I understood you. It's just that I feel that it's becoming a trend to name a watch after a location. We already got Kingston and Nassau, but I hope it stops there. I happen to like Havana (Key West, not so much) but I feel the originality for a name is getting thin if we're just going to resort to cities from this point on.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Zixen is releasing a "Zulu" as their next diver...I think we can come up with another name.

I'm with Menno on this one where a "name" with some historical significance would fit in line with the Kingston "cases" watchers. At least for the first three...Kingston, Nassau, and Key West or Havana. No problem with me to add the UTC after or before the "name". Meridian does have a nice ring to it...but if it can't or won't be used then lets drop it.

·
Registered
479 Posts
gmt/zulu/utc are all fine and leave no question as to the watch's purpose... but it's a bit like naming a watch "the chrono" or "diver", imo.
i really feel like the name should be something evocative that harkens to the golden age of aviation when air travel really opened up the world and spanning timezones in airplanes was a romantic/bewitching pursuit with all the trappings of conquest.

geographical names are fine for other watches but not really suited for a GMT since these watches are tools for use by people who leap across geographical boundaries. i think this watch project, which itself was borne out of nostalgia for the original GMT Master, calls for a name with significance that tugs at the heartstrings like this ad while also paying homage to its (GMT) purpose:

perhaps:

"Jetstream-GMT"

Importance of the Jet Stream

In terms of commercial usage, the jet stream is important for the airline industry. Its use began in 1952 with a Pan Am flight from Tokyo, Japan to Honolulu, Hawaii. By flying well within the jet stream at 25,000 feet (7,600 meters), the flight time was reduced from 18 hours to 11.5 hours. The reduced flight time and aid of the strong winds also allowed for a reduction in fuel consumption. Since this flight, the airline industry has consistently used the jet stream for its flights.
"Sojourner-GMT"
as a tribute to the people who would use this kind of watch
sojourner: a person who resides temporarily in a place

"Polaris-GMT"

the notion of UTC/GMT/zulu time came about from the need for a timezone that could act as an absolute reference for all others. just as GMT became the reference point from which time is measured, Polaris (the north star, which is aligned with the north pole) is the only celestial body that remains fixed in the night sky allowing the pilots and sailors to find their way.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I believe that what needs to be done, at some point soon, is a list of names that folks have come up with. Bill can review the list and from that come up with a poll list. i'm sure that there are names that have been bandied about that Bill will toss for various reasons. He may look at some and say, no way is that name going on one of my watches, He may feel that some are either protected by copyrights, some may be used on watches already, either nice watches that are competetive to MKII and may create confusion, some with not so nice watches that he wouldn't want to be linked to, even by a name association.

In the end, Bill will make the decision as to what the name will be. It could very well be a name that is the most popular in a poll of members, but it also could be one that didn't score as well in the poll, but fits his image of the Project GMT.

·
Registered
79 Posts

"Jetstream-GMT"

"Sojourner-GMT"
as a tribute to the people who would use this kind of watch

"Polaris-GMT"

the notion of UTC/GMT/zulu time came about from the need for a timezone that could act as an absolute reference for all others. just as GMT became the reference point from which time is measured, Polaris (the north star, which is aligned with the north pole) is the only celestial body that remains fixed in the night sky allowing the pilots and sailors to find their way.
All of these three are worth consideration: They have good idea behind them and also sound good too

And an alternative for Meridian (if it's taken and cannot be used) is Longitude

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Sorry, I was just making a joke and didn't mean to cause further deviation from the topic. But universal time is an extremely interesting subject. It's always amazing to note that the rotation of the earth is inconsistent, impossible to predict, and (on average) gradually slowing due to forces like tidal acceleration and recession of ice from the last ice age. GMT, on the other hand, is just clock time in Greenwich, which is not precisely defined. In practice, I imagine that most "official" renditions of GMT (such as the US governmet's time.gov and NIST NTP servers) are, in fact, UTC rather than "true" clock time (which I suppose would be TAI). At the heart of this issue is the tension between mechanical versus natural time, a debate that dates back to the 19th century and the rise of both accurate timekeeping and the inconvenience of local time to swift travel (by railroad). But the curious thing here is that while clock time was held up as the herald of modernity in such issues as the use of clock time over apparent solar time and of standardized time zones over local time, the UTC, though based on TAI, is nonetheless periodically calibrated via leap seconds to match UT1, derived from natural observations.

Err... now I have to apologize again for going off-topic. Moving on then.

So are we sure that we can't use Meridian? I might have missed that. I've found a digital diving computer named Meridian and what looks like a Suunto knockoff by Columbia. I imagine that a small boutique mechanical watch would not cause much brand confusion.

Agree !

·
Registered
291 Posts
gmt/zulu/utc are all fine and leave no question as to the watch's purpose ... but it's a bit like naming a watch "the chrono" or "diver"
Agreed.
Whilst I would certainly be happy enough with Meridian, for me it comes in at 3rd place behind Key West and Havana.

Neily

·
Registered
461 Posts
I must confess that, while I've always been a fan of the "Clipper" name, Menno's point is well taken. We have a "Kingston", a "Nassau" and now - perhaps - a "Key West". All the these watches SHARE so much. They share the same early R*l*x DNA ca. 1953, same cases, same bracelets, same hint of adventure in the names (James Bond or otherwise, the Caribbean has hinted at adventure since privateers plied their waters for Queen Elizabeth) and much more.

If you think of these watches as part of the same series, then it makes even more sense. However, Pan Am's headquarters were only briefly in Key West, and only for those first few months so they wouldn't lose the "Pan-American Mail" contract from the US Government:

"The airline was started by Juan Terry Trippe. His goal was, “To provide mass air transportation for the average man at rates he can afford to pay.”

Juan Trippe received the contract for US – Cuba mail service. In order to hold this air-mail contract Pan Am had to fly the Key West – Havana mail route by October 19, 1927. But the F-7 they ordered was not due to be delivered until September 30[SUP]th[/SUP]. Pan Am chartered a West Indian Aerial Express Fairchild for $145.50.

Service was started October 18, 1927 when La Nina flew 90 miles from Key West to Havana.
January 16, 1928 seven passengers aboard a Fokker F-7 inaugurated the first scheduled US flag commercial passenger service between Key West and Havana, a distance of 90 miles".

a quote from the Pan Am Airways website ( Pan Am History: Early Days of Pan Am ).

Therefore, I'd like to throw "Havana" in there as a possible name, as it was the Havana run - pushing service outside the US - , that put the "Pan" in PanAm". My $0.02

From my January 25, 2012 post:

... I suggest the name HAVANA, since that was the destination of the first Pan Am flight.

The name "Key West" -- I'm not so fond of.

Someone also suggested "Panama". I'm wondering if having these geographical names on the dial would cause confusion as to where the watches were manufactured, but this doesn't seem to have happened with the Kingston. Still, I can imagine someone looking at my shiny new MKII Havana and saying "Oh, a watch from Cuba? How did you get that past customs?" :think:

Cheers,
Packleader

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
From my January 25, 2012 post:

... I suggest the name HAVANA, since that was the destination of the first Pan Am flight.

The name "Key West" -- I'm not so fond of.

Someone also suggested "Panama". I'm wondering if having these geographical names on the dial would cause confusion as to where the watches were manufactured, but this doesn't seem to have happened with the Kingston. Still, I can imagine someone looking at my shiny new MKII Havana and saying "Oh, a watch from Cuba? How did you get that past customs?" :think:

Cheers,
Packleader
Umkay; interesting perspective or scenario. I think this one stays mostly in "the mind" though...

·
Registered
2,230 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I'm in it until the end of Summer, then someone else needs to take over b-)
Let's please keep the Thread: MKII Project GMT name finalists thread clean. We can discuss here and let STEELINOX modify that thread so that Bill does not have to read 11 pages to make up his mind.

And yes, I meant UTC, not UDT.

Thanks.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Umkay; interesting perspective or scenario. I think this one stays mostly in "the mind" though...
Ouch. Be nice ... I'm still new to watch collecting.

I'm not saying that I dislike the name "Havana". Since I might have been the first one to suggest it, I'd be delighted if the name "Havana" gets chosen. But I think its fair to consider the possibility that non-MKII fans might be confused about where the watch is made:

MKII Corporation (Wayne, PA) -- MKII Havana (made in USA)

Kobold Watch Company (Pittsburgh, PA) -- Kobold Himalaya (made in Nepal)

See?

Cheers,
Packleader

P.S. Geographical confusion isn't necessarily a bad thing. It could be a great conversation starter. And a watch from Cuba? Sweet.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Bill's suggestion of "Waypoint" is an interesting/good one, especially for the non-geographical name inclined.
Has a nice ring to it and if defined as "the highways in the sky" associates well with the aero theme....tho not Pan Am'ish

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hmm, I'm changing my vote to add waypoint.

201 - 220 of 249 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.