WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A usual, I was late to ordering and got in on the 2nd stage of the Kingston. While I'm thrilled to be getting a Kingston, I'm not sure I need the parts kit. Wanted to hear from any of the other 2nd stagers to find out who's spending the extra money and why. If this watch is like any of Bill's other watches then it will be built great and last forever. Let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I ordered it.

I don't anticipate having to rebuild the watch, but you never know. A broken crystal can happen pretty easily. There are other things that -could- happen.

If Bill lets us pick the bezel insert, you could conceivably switch between the red and plain zero marker.

Not that I'd ever sell it, but I think a Kingston with the parts kit would be worth more than one without. It seems like it would be more "complete".

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also ordered it.

I'm assuming nothing catastrophic will go wrong, but who knows? 20 years from now I might need something, and with the Kingston being a limited edition piece from a small maker, it might be good to have spares laying around.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got in on the second stage but I don't remember being able to select the kit when ordering. Can we contact Bill now and pay for it and have it added to our order?

Thanks,
Charles

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got in on the second stage but I don't remember being able to select the kit when ordering. Can we contact Bill now and pay for it and have it added to our order?

Thanks,
Charles
Bill is contacting 2nd stage buyers this week I believe, so you should get an email.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Obie posted a thread last evening stating the same info. Even if you don't order it, all Stage 2 customers are being asked to pick a SKU - one is a zero dollar "no parts kit" and the other is the kit. That way, they can confirm that everyone has been given a chance to buy one who wants one.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When will we know if the parts kit will offer a different set of hands (silver vs. gold) and possibly the different bezel? To me that makes it more valuable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
You will have at least the choice for dial and hands. No idea for the insert but it doesn't seems to be a big problem no? :think:

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm not so sure about the Kit, but would like to separately buy the other bezel (complete not just the insert), just so I can change it once in a while to give the watch a different look. (I own a seiko divers and I often change the bezel from black to Pepsi and it gives the watch a different identity, like getting a new haircut once in a while..)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm not so sure about the Kit, but would like to separately buy the other bezel (complete not just the insert), just so I can change it once in a while to give the watch a different look. (I own a seiko divers and I often change the bezel from black to Pepsi and it gives the watch a different identity, like getting a new haircut once in a while..)
Yes. I would like the same option.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If I had the option to get the spare kit I would. It would be nice to interchange the different dial, hands, and bezel. You have the option to freshen up the watch at anytime.

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
You will have certain options in regards to picking the parts that you would like in your kit, i.e. hands, bezel, dial, etc (these can be different than what you selected for your watch). If you decide not to buy the parts kit, we will not be selling parts separately for customization later. We will be keeping enough spare parts on for repair, but for repair only, as this is a limited edition.

Again as listed on our website for the spare parts kits:

*Second bracelet as a spare
* Gasket kit
* Spare case body complete with crown, case tube, crystal and bezel (please note that this does not include a movement ring or second case back. These parts are available at no charge to you if you send your original parts back for exchange should you need to perform a repair)
* Spare dial and handset (if there is more than one dial/hand set option available your spare set can be different from that installed on your watch.)

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
If I had the option to get the spare kit I would. It would be nice to interchange the different dial, hands, and bezel. You have the option to freshen up the watch at anytime.
I'd be very tempted if I were the type of WIS who likes to take watches apart and mod them...but I'm not....if I do buy this, it'd be very much just to comlete the set and sit in the box

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
If you decide not to buy the parts kit, we will not be selling parts separately for customization later. We will be keeping enough spare parts on for repair, but for repair only, as this is a limited edition.
[/B]
reason enough to buy the spare kit.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, but my abilities regarding changing watch parts begins and stops with flipping the bezel off and putting it back on again. Changing crystal and hands etc is way beyond me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
* Spare dial and handset (if there is more than one dial/hand set option available your spare set can be different from that installed on your watch.)
I know this is probably stated definitively somewhere in one of the Kingston threads, but can you confirm that a date dial will be an option for first and second tier plank orders?

Many thanks

Martin

·
Registered
17,513 Posts
There will be a date/no-date option as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I agree, but my abilities regarding changing watch parts begins and stops with flipping the bezel off and putting it back on again. Changing crystal and hands etc is way beyond me.
Think I'll pas on the kit...if anything goes wrong, I'd be more than happy for the MKII crew to do the repairs rather than attempt a DIY effort with my parts kit

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Think I'll pas on the kit...if anything goes wrong, I'd be more than happy for the MKII crew to do the repairs rather than attempt a DIY effort with my parts kit
There are many qualified watchmakers who can also handle the repair. I don't have to make that decision but if I did, I'd want the full kit to insure availability and to expedite any repairs or changes at the local level.

YMMV of course.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts