WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Is there a link to the original thread? Or is this it. I. Already registered, but would love to know more info about the project itself. Thanks comrades!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Is there a link to the original thread? Or is this it. I. Already registered, but would love to know more info about the project itself. Thanks comrades!

There is no other thread. I've developed this project in my own time over the past year, under wraps to not intrude upon the existing forum project. I'm happy with anyone anywhere being a part of it, so it has been shown in several locations by myself and friends.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
There is no other thread. I've developed this project in my own time over the past year, under wraps to not intrude upon the existing forum project. I'm happy with anyone anywhere being a part of it, so it has been shown in several locations by myself and friends.
Thank you, I found a thread on a different forum (in Russian) and was able to locate the confirmed list as well which had already updated my order. I appreciate all your effort and I can't wait to add this watch, and the history behind it to my collection.

I am also just interested in what inspired you personally to start this project. I think it is great and the history behind it is even better. I would just like to know the inspiration behind it, and how it all came to fruition.

Anyways thanks again and I am looking very forward to this watch!

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Friends, please find the new member list available here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1onEEbShdYx1ar4yAPPUxW0Xs1dzwmi9QQaOOwStDOU8/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you, I found a thread on a different forum (in Russian) and was able to locate the confirmed list as well which had already updated my order. I appreciate all your effort and I can't wait to add this watch, and the history behind it to my collection.

I am also just interested in what inspired you personally to start this project. I think it is great and the history behind it is even better. I would just like to know the inspiration behind it, and how it all came to fruition.

Anyways thanks again and I am looking very forward to this watch!

Thank you very much for your interest! I planned to provide more context originally, but the mix of languages and limitations makes it difficult.

Soviet and Russian watches of course have a lot of history themselves, much of it aligned with spaceflight, which helped draw me in originally. I have always been a lover of animals, having had near-countless dogs growing up. I knew the story of Laika, among other space dogs, and attempted to find such a watch in honor just as others exist honoring other cosmonauts and achievements. There exists plenty of memorabilia like postage stamps, children's toys, even cigarettes, and two monuments. To my knowledge, a watch does not truly exist. There are touristy/fake Molnijas, and an ambiguous space dog Swatch that I briefly owned. After having helped out a few other project watches with ideas and concept art before, last year Vostok had been very open about their upcoming development plans giving me additional ideas, and this year was the 60th anniversary of the mission, fateful as it was, it was time to begin. The project had taken some turns to get to where it is, but I'm very satisfied with where it is now and I hope everyone else is too!

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Interesting to see collector of Russian vintage watches at #3.
Heck yeah. I can count the number of new Russian watches I own on one hand. So that should tell you what I think about this project. I am IN ?

The project had taken some turns to get to where it is, but I'm very satisfied with where it is now and I hope everyone else is too!
Really great work Arizone. It's come together beautifully.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Imagine if the US did this today to a dog.

I don't think I could handle having my late puppy on my wrist. Way too much of a sore spot for me.

Reactions: tokareva

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
This is great work Arizone. I think a watch in honour of Laika is well over due and the 60th anniversary is a fitting time. As dog lover myself I appreciate it was a fatal mission but one that should be honoured, and Laika despite the outcome probably got better treatment during training than she would have living on the streets.
I see your using the cosmonaut case back , I assume it's this one.
Metal Silver Silver Nickel

Thanks for all your work on this, it's really appreciated.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
This is great work Arizone. I think a watch in honour of Laika is well over due and the 60th anniversary is a fitting time. As dog lover myself I appreciate it was a fatal mission but one that should be honoured, and Laika despite the outcome probably got better treatment during training than she would have living on the streets.
I see your using the cosmonaut case back , I assume it's this one.
View attachment 12738173

Thanks for all your work on this, it's really appreciated.
I think the caseback should be reflect the canine cosmonaut instead,a bit like this maybe? Towel Textile Linens Canidae Logo

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I like the watch shape, dial markers and hands, but the image of the dog on the dial, even though it's a famous dog, is a deal-breaker for me....same thing with pictures of tanks, submarines, etc. I just want the watch to have a simple dial without additional pictures which don't contribute to reading the time.

·
Registered
35,459 Posts
I like the watch shape, dial markers and hands, but the image of the dog on the dial, even though it's a famous dog, is a deal-breaker for me....same thing with pictures of tanks, submarines, etc. I just want the watch to have a simple dial without additional pictures which don't contribute to reading the time.
so commemorate something using nothing

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Everyone has their own preferences. I'm guessing my Railway collection is your idea of a nightmare :) .
Personally I like the interesting commemorative dials and this one has been well designed.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Then there's the difference between collecting and wearing. I rarely wear any of my commemoratives - except on the date being commemorated.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
so commemorate something using nothing
Brilliant. Why didn't we think of this before.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Its a beautiful watch,I do like the picture of Laika even if a little depressing.The only thing that concerns me is the lack of contrast between dial and hands,but it does seem to work on this one because its a special commemorative model.It does need the canine caseback however.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I think the caseback should be reflect the canine cosmonaut instead,a bit like this maybe?
I have chosen an existing caseback in the interest of cost and time. Laika is very much a part of a legacy of cosmonauts, paving the way for Gagarin, so I felt it was perfectly appropriate. While your image is very nice, I feel the back need not merely reflect the image already found on the front of the watch. I will query Dmitry, Meranom, about the prospects of a custom back.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
The only caution I would give is - your mockup has a lot of detail in the dog image. Typically dial printing machines are not high resolution. We found that out in the Vostok WUS watch a few years ago. The printed dial didn't look like the photoshop image.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I have chosen an existing caseback in the interest of cost and time.
Understandable. If the choice is between a stock caseback or paying more and waiting an extra 10 months for the custom part to be produced, I'll gladly take the former.

The only caution I would give is - your mockup has a lot of detail in the dog image. Typically dial printing machines are not high resolution. We found that out in the Vostok WUS watch a few years ago. The printed dial didn't look like the photoshop image.
This is an interesting point I hadn't considered. Wonder if they can do a test run before the official dials enter production...

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I am aware of this as well. The dial is not being produced by Vostok, so we will see.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I have chosen an existing caseback in the interest of cost and time. Laika is very much a part of a legacy of cosmonauts, paving the way for Gagarin, so I felt it was perfectly appropriate. While your image is very nice, I feel the back need not merely reflect the image already found on the front of the watch. I will query Dmitry, Meranom, about the prospects of a custom back.
As for a custom caseback I may have a soloution,one of my mates recently showed me something that could be useful.
A laser engraver! A high power industrial unit..which I could use if I wanted for mates rates...I could look into this further,but I
I guess I would have to educate myself in the use of the thang first
Also if there is interest obviously I would have to source blank casebacks from Meranom
I'm just throwing some ideas around here and would have to see what is possible :)
By the by the image I posted is just somethin I dragged off the interweb for example purposes
Obviously any caseback design would have to come from you mate as this is your baby!

21 - 40 of 247 Posts