WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 60 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
As for a custom caseback I may have a soloution,one of my mates recently showed me something that could be useful.
A laser engraver! A high power industrial unit..which I could use if I wanted for mates rates...I could look into this further,but I
I guess I would have to educate myself in the use of the thang first
Also if there is interest obviously I would have to source blank casebacks from Meranom
I'm just throwing some ideas around here and would have to see what is possible :)
Laser engraving has been used on the Ratnik for example. I just don't think it looks as nice.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Laser engraving has been used on the Ratnik for example. I just don't think it looks as nice.
You would be surprised what can be achieved graphically using this gear mate.
The ratnik was just text,but the depth and clarity of the etching was pretty amazing

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
This is an interesting point I hadn't considered. Wonder if they can do a test run before the official dials enter production...[/QUOTE]

That is an interesting point, not only because of the suspected image quality but also because the dial will be sunburst,how will the picture look on top of that?Can the picture be made on a little plaque and then glued or fixed to the dial somehow to insure a good image? I would be interested in seeing a prototype before committing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That is an interesting point, not only because of the suspected image quality but also because the dial will be sunburst,how will the picture look on top of that?Can the picture be made on a little plaque and then glued or fixed to the dial somehow to insure a good image? I would be interested in seeing a prototype before committing.
This makes good sense to me ,the clarity of this image is the thing that is going to make the watch, although I would have thought (you understand, thinking is not my strong point) a grayscale image should potentially be sharper.

Now another thing to add to the mix.
What about using the (newish) shaped second hand with lume used on the latest 350 case watches . Text Line Font Eyelash Attached images from a Komandirskie 350752 Line Material property

And to be even more controversial (even i'm not sure about this one) .. Black painted hands so those of us who have not yet given in to wearing specs can actually see the time....Just thoughts I wanted to put out there

·
Registered
429 Posts
Agreed, a sad story, but I think this watch is a really nice way of paying tribute and honoring her legacy.
And we shouldn't forget that Laika "told us" that mammals could survive in space which was the purpose of her(?) mission. That is, if I remember correctly. I recently heard that Laika died as the result of dehydration and stress and that she was a street dog found in Moscow. Yeah, it's a sad story (one that has fascinated both me and my kids) but pain is a natural part of life and we only do ourselves a disservice if we deny it or try to repress it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I think you're both right,but if it had to be one for the one way ticket I would also have to pick Khrushchev.Didn't he threaten to bury us? A rather nasty comment.Plus Khrushchev would have been able to verbally transmit valuable data,so in the interest of science it would have made more sense.
No, I've heard that's myth and the result of poor (propaganda?) translation , but one that has lived on. Last time I heard it was when Sting sung it in Russians.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I don't see a problem printing on the sunburst dial. All portions of the image are opaque: white, gray, and black. While some of the finer details may be lost, I hope that at least the major portions including the eyes are still apparent. The artwork can be adjusted to reduce detail if absolutely necessary.

Now another thing to add to the mix.
What about using the (newish) shaped second hand with lume used on the latest 350 case watches

And to be even more controversial (even i'm not sure about this one) .. Black painted hands so those of us who have not yet given in to wearing specs can actually see the time....Just thoughts I wanted to put out there
I strongly considered that new second hand but the move to SE hands allows a full-length second hand, unlike stock hands that are slightly too short. I'm also not crazy about the pill-shape of the lume, compared to circles, true rectangles, or triangles/arrowheads.

I looked at black hands as well, but decided they did not look as good. Of course trying to imagine what a reflective material will look like in real life is nearly impossible, so I will look again at my renders. The indices are silver with white lume, so I'll probably reach the same conclusion to have it match.

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Personally I'd have the original case back than an engraved one. The newer Okeah for instance doesn't look half as good as the originals. The seconds hand I agree, not keen on that pill shape, if you changed it to a lumed one I think a circle would be best.
It's your baby Arizone and I'm sure it will be great. Thanks for finally ending my search.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I don't see a problem printing on the sunburst dial. All portions of the image are opaque: white, gray, and black. While some of the finer details may be lost, I hope that at least the major portions including the eyes are still apparent. The artwork can be adjusted to reduce detail if absolutely necessary.

I strongly considered that new second hand but the move to SE hands allows a full-length second hand, unlike stock hands that are slightly too short. I'm also not crazy about the pill-shape of the lume, compared to circles, true rectangles, or triangles/arrowheads.

I looked at black hands as well, but decided they did not look as good. Of course trying to imagine what a reflective material will look like in real life is nearly impossible, so I will look again at my renders. The indices are silver with white lume, so I'll probably reach the same conclusion to have it match.
As much as I normally prefer a contrast between dial and hands, I think you probably made the right decision going with all silver,I think dark hands would take the eye off of the graphics too much .It looks very clean to me if that is the right word. I like how the graphics stand out more than anything,including the plain second hand.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,410 Posts
I like the watch shape, dial markers and hands, but the image of the dog on the dial, even though it's a famous dog, is a deal-breaker for me....same thing with pictures of tanks, submarines, etc. I just want the watch to have a simple dial without additional pictures which don't contribute to reading the time.
I don't mean to sound rude, but why bother mentioning this fact in a thread about a commemorative watch?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Hi all, I've been a registered reader for some months, now this thread is the perfect opportunity for my first post ;)

I like this project--so much that I subscribed to it. I like the 020 case, the underlying idea to an homage to Laika, and the general design of the project. Only comment I'd make is that I'd love to see Amphibia hands (the arrow-shaped hour and lum-dot second hands) as it is an Amphibia-based project. Anyway, congrats Arizone for this.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Hi all, I've been a registered reader for some months, now this thread is the perfect opportunity for my first post ;)

I like this project--so much that I subscribed to it. I like the 020 case, the underlying idea to an homage to Laika, and the general design of the project. Only comment I'd make is that I'd love to see Amphibia hands (the arrow-shaped hour and lum-dot second hands) as it is an Amphibia-based project. Anyway, congrats Arizone for this.
Welcome to the forum! What a great time to jump on board.

If you have any watch collecting friends, do spread the word. Once the reservation spreadsheet is complete, we can ask Meranom to get production underway 👍

·
Registered
429 Posts
Come to think of it, I'd like to have two of this. One for me and one for my son, the day he decides he (like any real man ;-)) wants to be well dressed. Would that be possible? I guess I could register another account at Meranom and perhaps that would be the only way?

·
Banned
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Come to think of it, I'd like to have two of this. One for me and one for my son, the day he decides he (like any real man ;-)) wants to be well dressed. Would that be possible? I guess I could register another account at Meranom and perhaps that would be the only way?
I would imagine you can just register for another using the same account. Nice present for your son .

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
We are just about halfway there. The use of high quality SE components demands a MOQ of at least 100 watches. Even I did not plan so many! I ask everyone to spread the word to collectors anywhere who may not have heard. Rest assured, even if reaching this many reservations proves impossible the watch is still guaranteed for production in lower numbers, but the quality of the dial, and cost, will be reduced as a result.

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you with us.

The watch is in spirit a Komandirskie. More and more the lines are being drawn between the two with automatic movements and shared steel cases like the 160/K35. The 020 case also is quite similar to the vintage 34 case, without the crown guards, and may come as K- Komandirskie models eventually too. The date feature and straight hands help solidify this further. Trust me, I have made considerations everywhere!

You can absolutely purchase more than one. Thank you very much for the support.

Uniqueness in entries is not required; you can use the same account at Meranom. You may need to delete your Google cookies in order to submit the form again, instead of editing your previous one. If this doesn't work feel free to PM me and I can do so manually.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ha ..... That is exactly what I have done ,but with the WUS 2016 project watch. Teach them to appreciate real watches not this hideous fad for fashion watches.

41 - 60 of 247 Posts