WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure many of you have screen protectors for your mobile phones.
So I thought why not do the same for your watch, especially those with acrylic/mineral crystals.

I found a few websites that sell the plastic sheets pre-cut for any crystal size. Could be a problem for high domed crystals though.

It just seems like no one does this though, why is that? I don't think the thin plastic would mar the looks of the watch. And this simple fix could preserve the finish and value of your watch.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
371 Posts
So I thought why not do the same for your watch, especially those with acrylic/mineral crystals.

I found a few websites that sell the plastic sheets pre-cut for any crystal size. Could be a problem for high domed crystals though.

It just seems like no one does this though, why is that? I don't think the thin plastic would mar the looks of the watch. And this simple fix could preserve the finish and value of your watch.

Thoughts?
I don't know about all screen savers, but my experience with InvisibleShield is that it has a slight "orange peel" texture. Wouldn't look good on a watch IMO.
Cheers,
kev

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
It just seems like no one does this though, why is that?
Uh, maybe cause most of us aren't really that OCD about normal wear that can be polished out easily? :think::-d More power to you if it works for you, but it seems to me that would affect the look of the watch. I even read a thread about some _________(fill in your choice of descriptive term) on TZ that coated his watch in a layer of clear Elmer's glue! Then he complained that if it got wet it ruined the layer he applied. :roll:

I'm sorry if this sounds too direct, but just enjoy your watch. When push comes to shove it's just an inanimate object and any damage that occurs due to normal use can be repaired. A plastic crystal costs @ $30 for most watches so don't stress over it. If you worry about originality then have the original crystal taken off, stow it away in a labelled zip lock bag, and have a replacement put on.

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
Acrylic/mineral crystals are fairly cheap nowaday, and scratches can be buffed out easily, unless you have a great vintage watch with acrylic/mineral crystal and you want keep it in excellent sharp, I don't see why we need to worry about scratches.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Acrylic/mineral crystals are fairly cheap nowaday, and scratches can be buffed out easily, unless you have a great vintage watch with acrylic/mineral crystal and you want keep it in excellent sharp, I don't see why we need to worry about scratches.
Acrylic can be buffed to remove scratches, carefully so as not to melt it. Mineral crystals......not-so-much!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I'm at a point in my life where I can take reasonable care of my possessions, but I also want to be able to enjoy them. Many (most?) of my watches do have mineral crystals. I don't see any obvious scratches that I've put on them, but I'm sure I have. Many of my watches are preowned, and some have come with more scratches that others. If it gets too bad, it's a relatively quick and inexpensive repair to get the crystal replaced.

Having a nice watch with a crystal clear crystal (pun intended...) to look at is better than looking through some plastic sticker all the time. The sticker is going to look much worse in short time than the few scratches you may put on the crystal without it. And what's the purpose of having a well worn watch with a plastic sticker keeping the crystal scratch free? Are you going to take the sticker off of a 10 year old watch and admire how easy you finally see the dial and how it nicely contrasts with all of the scratches on the case?

And part of this may be due to the fact that my parents always covered things up to "protect" them. I still have rather unpleasant memories of sitting on the clear vinyl seat coverings that my dad put on his one new car. For years those seats were painfully hot in the summer and uncomfortably hard and cold in the winter. After seven or eight years the plastic was removed and we could sit on brand new fabric seats. Wasn't that a nice contrast to rusted through holes around the wheel wells and bottom of the doors? That car was given to a junk yard a few months later... (Michigan winters and all the salt they used on the roads really ate through cars.)

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
If the concern over a scratched crystal is great enough, simply keep the watch on display and use the plastic covered cellular phone to tell time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My three "beater" watches all have mineral crystals (G-shock, saumari, monster) and none of them has aby scratches despite being used in rough situatuons. In fact, the only watch I have managed to scratch the crystal on is a Tissot with a Saphire crystal. Point is it's not that easy to scratch a mineral crystal and Saphire crystals aren't invulnerable. Take care not to smack Any of you watches on rough/hard surfaces and you should be fine. Screen covers are okay for cell phones but would look bad on a watch.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My three "beater" watches all have mineral crystals (G-shock, saumari, monster) and none of them has aby scratches despite being used in rough situatuons. In fact, the only watch I have managed to scratch the crystal on is a Tissot with a Saphire crystal. Point is it's not that easy to scratch a mineral crystal and Saphire crystals aren't invulnerable. Take care not to smack Any of you watches on rough/hard surfaces and you should be fine. Screen covers are okay for cell phones but would look bad on a watch.
I have had exactly the opposite experience! My Mineral crystal watches seem to get scratches on them, even when I am reasonably careful. My sapphire crystals are all perfect, despite the same use & occasional smack into something hard. I consider older watches attractive for the patina & wear patterns they develop, but scratches on the crystal are not attractive to me.
Cheers,
kev

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well thanks for the replies! It seems most of you dislike the idea of the crystal protector.

I guess I do have OCD about scratches and originality. I like the idea of switching out the the mineral for a sapphire. Do Citizen watches (such as the AT0660-56E & BJ7005-59E) generally accept generic sapphire crystals?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
I think I "watch bra" would look stylish and cut a real dash. Like this, which is much better than looking at the original red paint:

;-)

Just wear the watch, and when the scuffs and dings get too much in 10-12 years' time, get it refinished with a new crystal. Don't cover everything in cheap plastic trying to protect it - it won't protect it from the worst and it'll look terrible all the time.

·
Registered
946 Posts
All the watches I own have mineral crystals in them at the moment.

The way I see it, I will go with the flow and see how they turn out - sure they may pick up a few scratches, but I figure those will be easy enough to ignore (for example on a 'beater' watch destined for rough use) or can be sorted out later on if it ever gets to the point they really annoy me - worst case I can always get a crystal replaced.

At the same time, if the crystal is getting scratched, then presumably the rest of the watch will be looking the same, and if cleanliness matters to you, then I doubt you will be happy with a nice clean crystal, but a beaten watch...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts

Thoughts?
Ridiculous...

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I've got a Phantom Skinz protector on the face of my Suunto X-LANDER.

Its not that I dont want to prove how hardcore and highspeed I am by getting scratches all over it, I'd just rather give it half a chance of still being legible when I need to look at it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Well, plastic is okay, but I prefer natural latex. In fact when I get up in the morning and put on my watch, I immediately cover it with a condom. Works great. Of course I have to use the large size, but you simply unroll the condom over the fist and continue until it covers the watch completely. Then you simply cut out five holes for your fingers and thumb, and viola, you're set. For my sport watches I use the ribbed condom, and for dressier occasions, ultra-thin. From a few feet away, it doesn't look like I'm wearing anything. Even my girlfriend can't tell a difference!

Stay away from the lubricated kind. Makes it hard to read the time, and impossible to open doors. ;-)

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Well, plastic is okay, but I prefer natural latex. In fact when I get up in the morning and put on my watch, I immediately cover it with a condom. Works great. Of course I have to use the large size, but you simply unroll the condom over the fist and continue until it covers the watch completely. Then you simply cut out five holes for your fingers and thumb, and viola, you're set. For my sport watches I use the ribbed condom, and for dressier occasions, ultra-thin. From a few feet away, it doesn't look like I'm wearing anything. Even my girlfriend can't tell a difference!

Stay away from the lubricated kind. Makes it hard to read the time, and impossible to open doors. ;-)
Yes but which brand of condom has the best lume?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Don't worry about it. If you like the way to the point where you think scratches would ruin it-- get the crystal replaced with sapphire.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I understand why a watch person would want to do this, especially if they are prone to scuffing and scratching their watches...and some people really thrash on watches.

I put shields on some of my smartphones and PDA screens, even on my laptops, but on my watch, I don't care to.

But I just like to look through the clearest watch crystal I can, so I wouldn't use any protective plastic on the crystal. I just don't really find it necessary at all because I try to be extra careful with all my watches in the way I handle them. Never put it in a bad or pocket with anything else rattling around, that can scratch the watch. Never put the watch face down on a hard surface. Be careful of narrow walkways. Take the watch off if you do something that can potentially scuff up a watch, working on a car , etc.

If it does get scratched, after the first scratch, I tend not to care .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts