WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the good old timezone for some general information, and picked up some very interesting information. I thought I should share it with everyone

"Titanium is a relatively light-weight metal, with a hardness exceeding that of most steels. It also has a poor heat transfer capability, which means that it won't carry heat away from your skin as quickly as steel or aluminum (i.e. it will feel warmer to the touch - sometimes you'll see claims that titanium "remains at skin temperature" - this is technically incorrect, any more than a small piece of wood stays at skin temperature). Several varieties of titanium are available. Titanium has some interesting mechanical properties: it can "rip" when cut so it is difficult to machine, and two pieces of titanium pressed together can "weld" themselves together. This latter property is why it is important that watches with titanium cases and backs have the casebacks removed periodically - the threads can actually rip out of the case if left undisturbed too long."

So the first thing after I read that paragraph is turning to the specs page of Proteus and double checking the case back material. (The case I knew is titanium.) And thank goodness, it is stainless .... :-!

Anyhow, there you have it ~ dont mix titanium case and back in any future watch designs / purchase....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if the cost/ manufacturing limitation is what steer us to the SS, but I am sure glad we did. As the material info suggested, titanium can rip during cutting process so this has to increase the failure rate especially for delicate parts like the case threads... thus more $$$

Another interesting side note regarding that info. Since titanium retains heat better compare to SS. Our choice of SS back is sound since I do not believe most of us would like a hot and sticky case back while wearing the Proteus. LOL

I am now wondering what other Steinhart model (or what other common watch models in fact) has this dreaded Ti on Ti combination?

·
Banned
29 Posts
great material. does it apply to all titanium? or just pure titanium? because it could be that some are stated as titanium but the actual composition might differ. just maybe. but it's a relief as u said, on proteus :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looks like the other Steinhart with a Ti case has a SS back. Nav-B-UHR Vintage Titanium

·
Registered
9,335 Posts
wow. didn't know that either.
Good Read. thanks for sharing
T

·
Registered
12 Posts
This process of "welding", is known as COLD WELDING. This is very popular, especially in the aerospace industry, which uses Titanium on a regular basis.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
aratron, a great little thread mate. I kind of knew of this, though certainly not in depth & this thread has succinctly put it all together..;-)

Yes, the only other model in the Steinhart range to have had the Ti case, steel caseback is the sold out 44mm Ti L.E Vintage Nav.B.

·
Banned
772 Posts
It is indeed a very enlightening and valuable info which most of us didn't know.

Thanks a lot Aratron . . .

Serdal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts