WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Watch «CITRON» supposedly English assemblies. Toned dial. On the dial near the hour mark green dots marked phosphor (svetomassa). Within the hour and minute hands are also stained with phosphor. Watch case (in excellent, NOS condition) is made of stainless steel. The back cover is made of stainless steel, on the cover "paper" PCHZ with inscriptions (denoting either that these watch were in the museum of PCHZ, or that they were in the design). Swiss movement on a one jewel.
These watch is the prototype for watches Petrodvorets watch factory in a TV cases. It is copied from external design.

Examples of watches «Raketa» in the TV case

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
That is interesting! Is it absolutely certain that the Citron was the model for the Raketa?

Paul

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Very cool, would like to see some modern homage version!

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,928 Posts
Finally some evidence. So the Raketa TV was based on a 'Citron'; a Hong Kong(?) Citizen-like 'bogus brand' (i.e. the metallic applied version of the 'CITRON' logo looks very similar to 'CITIZEN' at arm's length. This printed logo example is less obvious).

As was discussed on another thread recently, Citizen may have been the first maker to draw together all the distinctive elements that constitute the archetypal 'TV dial' case style i.e. wide tv-shaped dial, heavy tonneau case, bold markers and stumpy hands. Later variations from various makers include hooded lugs, integrated bracelet, jump-hour display, LED electronic display, etc.

One distinctive Raketa design element that I like is the vertical striping on the sloping top surfaces on the case. They seem to have made several variations, and the style was also picked up on the Elektronika-1 LED watches and matched by certain aftermarket steel bracelets manufactured by Vitsebsk Instruments.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The number 9 mimics Ricoh while Citron mimics Citizen. As you know, the Japanese big Threes bear numbers in a shield on their dials: Seiko 5, copied by Citizen 7, Ricoh 9.
The Citron is a fake Citizen which imitated a Seiko. I think that Seiko was inspired by a Western maker...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Incidentally, is it just me, or does that Citron look crooked?

//Citron watches in the UK have always been known as a very cheap brand, the sort of thing you buy one day and throw away the next. // You mean, Citrons are lemons?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Incidentally, is it just me, or does that Citron look crooked?

//Citron watches in the UK have always been known as a very cheap brand, the sort of thing you buy one day and throw away the next. // You mean, Citrons are lemons?
Yes, I noticed that the setting for the crystal looks crooked. May be it's the photo.

As for Citrons being lemons, quite possibly!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
Guys, I found out the truth: Raketa, Seiko, Swiss, a symbiosis!
2895052485.jpeg
2895052485_1.jpeg

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
//a symbiosis//

With that colour scheme, more of an infertile hybrid...

Reactions: Chascomm
1 - 12 of 12 Posts