WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to the chap who posted his YEMA Superman Heritage last week, I spent a very enjoyable 6+ hours researching the company, chatting with their Customer Service online, and eventually ordering the watch. After some very amicable dealings and ease of ordering, the watch arrived safely today.

I cannot emphasize enough how pleasant this transaction has been, from dealing with Nicolas to Chronopost, the company responsible for shipping the watch.

"Yema has achieved a faithful reissue of the 1970's Superman 53 00 16 by 3D modelling each individual component."
"Designed to be an indestructible diving watch, it was subsequently chosen to equip France's Air Force pilots in the 1970s."
Lots more info and history on the YEMA website:
https://en.yema.com/collections/heritage/products/yema-superman-heritage-ysup2018a

This is an amazing little watch! It is actually even nicer than I expected. Craftsmanship is better than expected, it fits beautifully and is really fun to wear. The crown/bezel-lock mechanism seems a bit awkward at first, but it works exactly the way it is supposed to. That said, the bezel is super tight to turn, although the 120 clicks are super precise, and I imagine it would stay pretty much in place even without the lock. The bezel can only be turned when the crown is unscrewed, but the whole mechanism tightens up and locks into place assuredly, with no fear of the crown ever loosening on it's own. The hands are unique, especially the shovel shaped seconds hand.

Compact size is 39mm, 14mm thick although that includes the 2.6mm domed crystal, 19mm lug. Water resistant to 30bar/990ft/300m with screw-down crown. The crown is large and easy to grip, and it is unsigned. This is not to save money, rather to replicate the original. Movement is standard ETA manufacture 2824-2. I like that, as the watch is from France, but can easily be serviced locally.

That's about all to say for now. Just want to share some photos I took this afternoon, after the watch arrived. I ordered mine with a plexi crystal and vintage leather strap. Judging by the quality of the watch, I imagine the stainless steel bracelet would be tops as well. Strap is great quality as well. Thick at the lugs, thinning out towards the ends. I especially love the highly domed crown, which causes very cool distortion. And, of course, the narrow bezel:

YEMA logo nicely engraved on the case back. I like that far better than sapphire display back:

Comes in a sensible, small zippered leather travel case:

It is really difficult with modern technology to replicate the finishing details of times gone by. YEMA manages to do this beautifully, without manufacturing flaws. I would expect the original watch would have looked much like this one. I hope that I am explaining this properly, but it really is a joy to be able to think that this is so much like the original.

Thanks for looking at my review.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
That looks super, huge congrats!! Seeing your photos of the plexi crystal makes me second my decision on going with the sapphire option, that plexi looks really nice and adds a bit of character imo. So far I'm happy with mine on the bracelet which is surprising given it's pretty thin and lightweight but it just works so well and adds to the character of the watch, I'm a strap guy so I'm sure that I will try a strap someday though, that watch looks good on anything, it's hard to describe for me but in the flesh, that little watch is a real looker, congrats again!!

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Carl great pics and story. Awesome looking watch...wear it in good health.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you. The watch definitely has a charm all of it's own, which can't be adequately described in words or photos. But I do my best! :)

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks super, huge congrats!! Seeing your photos of the plexi crystal makes me second my decision on going with the sapphire option, that plexi looks really nice and adds a bit of character imo. So far I'm happy with mine on the bracelet which is surprising given it's pretty thin and lightweight but it just works so well and adds to the character of the watch, I'm a strap guy so I'm sure that I will try a strap someday though, that watch looks good on anything, it's hard to describe for me but in the flesh, that little watch is a real looker, congrats again!!
Thanks, Michael. I really have a difficult time describing. All I can say is, as the French say "Je ne sais quoi". It definitely has that X-Factor. It actually wears a bit smaller than I thought, or that I can capture in photos, but that's not a bad thing at all. I debated getting the ss bracelet, and now I see the quality of the watch, I imagine the bracelet is so well made, so that may be a consideration down the road. I used to be an all bracelet guy, but now most of my watches are on straps. This one is very well made and comfortable. I think I will order the black leather one, with the Red, White and Blue stitching near the lugs, just to give it a bit of character and tribute to it's French origins.

I just got my first Rolex Diver, last week, the Sub 114060 which I have longed for over the years. I got a call from my AD as this YEMA was on it's way. I can't compare it to the Sub or really say I like it more, but it has such character that it hasn't left my wrist.

Glad you are enjoying your's. Post me a pic of your's on the strap if you don't mind.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Here ya go Carl, don't let the thin profile scare you, I had second thoughts about it after wearing so many thick divers on thick bracelets, it's a solid bracelet and has such a slinky feel to it, hard to explain really but is like butta on the wrist, nice change-up from the heavyweights I normally wear. Strap, bracelet, you can't lose with this little jewel. Congrats on the Rolex, maybe someday...

IMG_20190305_142357801.jpg

IMG_20190305_142421966.jpg

IMG_20190305_142440743.jpg

IMG_20190305_142539361.jpg

·
Registered
284 Posts
Here ya go Carl, don't let the thin profile scare you, I had second thoughts about it after wearing so many thick divers on thick bracelets, it's a solid bracelet and has such a slinky feel to it, hard to explain really but is like butta on the wrist, nice change-up from the heavyweights I normally wear. Strap, bracelet, you can't lose with this little jewel. Congrats on the Rolex, maybe someday...

View attachment 13949511

View attachment 13949513

View attachment 13949515

View attachment 13949517
Very nice! I was also hesitant about the quality of the bracelet, that is was too thin/flimsy.

Good to read your positive review.

Thanks!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Is there a difference in appearance between the sapphire and mineral glass crystals?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 13949511

View attachment 13949513

View attachment 13949515

View attachment 13949517
Thanks for the feedback on the bracelet, Michael. After seeing the quality of the watch, I can understand why the bracelet would be comparable to that. This truly is a beautiful little watch, and perhaps now after your recommendation I will seriously consider the ss bracelet. In retrospect, I probably should have ordered it with the bracelet, then got a leather strap later. Anyway, thank you for posting your observations and great photos.

Yeah, the Rolex Sub was on my wish list for many years. To me, this model is the ultimate Rolex. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the other watches Rolex manufactures. All I can say is that it was worth the wait. I don't compare any other watches I have to it, though, and just appreciate the others, like the YEMA, on their own merits.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is there a difference in appearance between the sapphire and mineral glass crystals?
The mineral glass is acrylic/plexiglass and is a lot more prone to scratching. On the other hand, if you drop it, it will not shatter as sapphire crystal might. The best way I can describe the difference is like comparing plastic to glass, although that is technically incorrect, as I don't really know or understand the material composition of either. While the mineral crystal does lend a bit more character, it is very difficult to produce a sapphire crystal apparently, in the shape of a highly domed crystal like this watch has.

I used to have an Omega Speedmaster with the plexi/mineral crystal. And I quite liked the character it got with a few scratches. But the scratches on plexi are easy to wipe out, I just used toothpaste, although there are other cleaners available.

Hope this rather non-technical description helps you.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reviews like this are tipping me ever closer to pulling the trigger on one of these.
I can say that the people at YEMA a super helpful. They have an online chat option as well, and are very quick to answer.

So far, the watch is running about +5secs/day which is fine with me. I'm not going to keep monitoring it. According to the website, the movement is 2824-2 Standard ETA Manufacture. Whether or not they do any modifications, I don't know, but if so they don't advertise that. The bezel is very stiff to turn, although easy to grip. The crown is pretty stiff, but it also holds the bezel lock in place, and once it screws in feels very secure.

These are just a couple of observations I have made over the past couple of days. Not complaints. Any watch is going to have different characteristics. It is a great little watch on it's own merits, so I'm not going to start comparing it to any of my others.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Great review Carl and congratulations! Are you considering getting the Navygraf as well?
Thank you. No, and not because I don't like the Navygraf. After I trim down the collection, then I might think about which one is next.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
284 Posts
How do you guys find the height of the Superman?

I really want to get this watch, but it’s taller than an SKX, which I already find too high. I think that’s the main thing keeping me at bay for now.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 321 Posts