WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Omega fanatics, I have spent all of my time thus far on WUS on the Sinn Forum. I have an awesome Sinn, it was my first nicer mechanical watch and I've loved it for a few years now. As my knowledge of watches has grown I have really developed a love for Omega: it's history, accomplishments, longevity and of course.....the look. I am beginning the process of researching and planning to be able to purchase a used Omega within the next year. I would like to ask the more seasoned members of this site if they have any tips for a new Omega-seeker and then who has any ideas on trusted members of this site for sales or trustworthy dealers. I am in the western CUS. All ideas are appreciated.

Bruce Lee.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In addition, is anyone familiar with the Seamaster Aqua Terra that has a white face with black hands??? Of all the many many many I've seen this one really stands out. I cannot seem to find definitive information on what model # that was and year's it was released. Anyone with some specifics please let me know. Even better, anyone out there with one of those beauties at 42mm who wants to sell theirs because they've got too many Omegas lying around....let me know TWICE =)

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
Kringkily is one of the go to guys. He posts sales here and on 2 other forums. I usually search using watchrecon.
x100! I've dealt with K on many occasions and he receives my highest recommendation. Seek him out and send him your request. He will find it for you if it is available.

From a SINNer and Omegaholic, welcome to yet another rabbit hole!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Yep, another vote for Kringkily here! I got my Speedy from him early this year. I have to say, I was more than a little freaked out wiring a couple grand to some stranger across the continent. He was very patient, friendly, and helpful both before and after. His prices are absolutely fair too. You may save a couple hundred from someone else, but at that level, I'll pay for peace of mind.

Needless to say, I will be looking to him when it's SMPc time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
x100! I've dealt with K on many occasions and he receives my highest recommendation. Seek him out and send him your request. He will find it for you if it is available.

From a SINNer and Omegaholic, welcome to yet another rabbit hole!
Horroticus, you're not joking. I always playfully tell my wife that watches are my only "girlfriend". She's okay with this arrangement. Also, I had to go in for some medical care and the administrator was asking me all the usual questions and it got to the point in her interview where she inquired, "Do you have a living will or testament?". I gave her a strange look because my visit was not that kind of visit, she told me that it's all SOP for paperwork, so I then wryly replied, "My wife gets my watch, and my wedding ring"! I thought it was hilarious. Rabbit hole indeed sir. I recently read a post from ABlogToWatch and he said that "the more he learns the more he realizes he doesn't know" (paraphrasing) and I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for all the replies. Is Kringkily a members username on this forum? I'm assuming, but just curious.

Thanks all.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Pick what you want but avoid the early 2500 series co-axial escapement movements if you can.

All the best.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Pick what you want but avoid the early 2500 series co-axial escapement movements if you can.

All the best.
Tony, to be more specific, the 2500A had some problems but it was a very early and very limited release. 2500b and 2500c you would be good with any of those movements but factor in a service with those 2 calibers due to the age of the movement.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've just looked at watchrecon, super cool site. Sent out a quick shout to Kringkily after looking at all of his offerings. Oh man, my life has just gotten a little more fabulously complicated.

Further down the rabbit-hole I go.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Thanks Tony for the heads up, and to CajunMike for the specific follow-up on Tony's. Much obliged, all.
YW. Happy hunting. I'm sure you'll love whatever Omega you get. They are really lovely watches and ideal for all sorts of situations.

My daily wearer is a pre-co-axial Constellation. I have a Seamaster too, but I wear it very, very rarely because I leave it a my place in the mountains so I have a sport watch there when I fly into Pittsburgh and go straight there without first going to my home in D.C.

As a collector, I'd suggest getting a watch that has a co-axial escapement movement. If you don't have any collector-specific objectives, get whatever one appeals to you most as they are all fine and the watch's styling will matter to you more than the movement. I'm not saying movements are not important, but rather that if one isn't of a mind to build a collection that speaks to something in particular, a movement need not do or be more than one that works reliably, is reasonably accurate, and is easy to maintain. All of Omega's older movements that you are likely to come buy/want have those qualities just as do the newer ones.

Tony, to be more specific, the 2500A had some problems but it was a very early and very limited release. 2500b and 2500c you would be good with any of those movements but factor in a service with those 2 calibers due to the age of the movement.
Good point, although was with the 2500D that the 2500 series became free of "issues." I suspect it'd be hard to find one of those early 2500s in a new watch, but since the OP intends to buy a used one, it's worth being aware of the issue. There may be a GMS who has some NOS ones hanging around, but I doubt many will have any or that they'll have many.

OP, you may find this useful inasmuch as one can never have too much information at hand when considering the purchase of a pre-owned watch:

Hope that helps.

All the best.

Reactions: BruceLee

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
+1 for Kringkily, bought my SMP coaxial (2222.80) from him, excellent communication, reasonable price. I also dealt recently with exelonman (based in the US) and Malkav (based in Japan), had good experiences as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
YW. Happy hunting. I'm sure you'll love whatever Omega you get. They are really lovely watches and ideal for all sorts of situations.

My daily wearer is a pre-co-axial Constellation. I have a Seamaster too, but I wear it very, very rarely because I leave it a my place in the mountains so I have a sport watch there when I fly into Pittsburgh and go straight there without first going to my home in D.C.

As a collector, I'd suggest getting a watch that has a co-axial escapement movement. If you don't have any collector-specific objectives, get whatever one appeals to you most as they are all fine and the watch's styling will matter to you more than the movement. I'm not saying movements are not important, but rather that if one isn't of a mind to build a collection that speaks to something in particular, a movement need not do or be more than one that works reliably, is reasonably accurate, and is easy to maintain. All of Omega's older movements that you are likely to come buy/want have those qualities just as do the newer ones.

Good point, although was with the 2500D that the 2500 series became free of "issues." I suspect it'd be hard to find one of those early 2500s in a new watch, but since the OP intends to buy a used one, it's worth being aware of the issue. There may be a GMS who has some NOS ones hanging around, but I doubt many will have any or that they'll have many.

OP, you may find this useful inasmuch as one can never have too much information at hand when considering the purchase of a pre-owned watch:

Hope that helps.

All the best.
Tony, fabulous fabulous fabulous ideas. Thank you for sharing some links to info. I always hesitate dropping such blanket topics into a sea of them, but this is the only way to learn. I appreciate the time.

BruceLee

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Tony, fabulous fabulous fabulous ideas. Thank you for sharing some links to info. I always hesitate dropping such blanket topics into a sea of them, but this is the only way to learn. I appreciate the time.

BruceLee
NP...you're welcome.

All the best.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.