WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello WUS,

I've come across this example of a 38mm chrono and would love some help clarifying the details of this watch in the Zenith family.

Some details I've discovered on this movement from archives in the forum sticky posts:

How collectible/rare/desirable are these examples today?
Cheers in advance for responses :)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
This is basically the automatic El Primero without the automatic winder module with rotor. So a very good manual movement, but not as sought after as the automatic one. This particular model is one of the more common ones and were made in 2200 copies 1993-1996. Not as collectible as the automatic ones, but for sure very high quality watches and the glass back is a nice touch!

·
Registered
4,723 Posts
Ten years ago I posted a thread about the Zenith Prime:
Zenith El Primero HW + Zenith Prime + cal. 420

(Please ignore the mention on the first page that it has a sapphire crystal, which it doesn't.)

It is still one of my favorite watches.

It is not only a nice entry-level Zenith El Primero, but also a unique hand-wound chronograph in its own right. It's probably the thinnest hand-wound chronograph ever produced, and features the high-beat and date-function on top of that. I still wish Zenith would make a version with the moonphase and full calendar!

@ watchhunterandcollector :

'This particular model is one of the more common ones and were made in 2200 copies 1993-1996 '

That is very interesting, I don't recall having seen these numbers before. Could you elaborate on that: what is your source, and how this compares with the production number of other cal 420 models?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts