WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

By now, most folks are aware of the really nice work a group of overseas manufacturers have been doing especially with their Seiko homage watches. I bought my specimen at this storefront: https://wrwatches.com

Well, I really liked the photos of the various branded Seiko Marine Master 300M (SBDX023) versions and the positive experiences forum members were reporting were compelling so I made the jump. At under $200 shipped versus nearly $3,000 for the original, the opportunity was compelling especially as I really like the model but had never actually tried on the SBDX023.

Eleven days after I placed my order, I received my watch! I ordered this:
  • Proxima brand
  • Standard dial (not meteorite)
  • Steel case
  • Steel bracelet
  • C3 dial marker lume
  • BGW9 hands and bezel marker lume (the hybrid)
The chat agent was very pleasant to deal with, communicated well, and accepted my request for a mixed-lume model with no difficulties. They also sent a photo of the watch lume and on the timegrapher stand around the time of shipment. Looks like this unit will provide -4 sec/day. Really quite excellent!

So now is the point in the post where I shut up and share the pics. :)

1. Here's the case the watch arrived in. It looks like a Pelican case but it's much thinner though functional. They also provided an extra set of springs and a warranty card. The watch came plastic cling-wrapped and in clean condition. Cosmetically, the watch was as expected, brandy spanking new and nicely finished.

ProxMM300_IMG_1844.jpg

2. Here's a pretty basic shot of the front of the watch. Looking good so far! Dial elements lined up fine, everything in its place. Ceramic bezel insert was smooth and glossy. All lumed elements completely and uniformly filled.

ProxMM300_IMG_1848.jpg

3. On my 6.75" wrist, this 44 mm case, 50 mm lug-to-lug wears substantially with impressive but not overwhelming presence. Solid, comfortable, balanced.

ProxMM300_IMG_1839.jpg

4. Down-the-wrist shot to give an indication of how this sizable watch lays on the wrist. You can see that the lugs, though at the limits of what normally fits me well in terms of the raw dimension, conform well with a gentle drop and smooth curving profile.

ProxMM300_IMG_1840.jpg

5. Side profile shot. Make no mistakes, this is a tall watch at just over 15 mm height. That said, it looks more precarious or awkward on the wrist than it feels and wears. My wrist tends to be bony so it doesn't have much "plush" to settle into. Wearing it feels natural, substantial, and comfortable.

ProxMM300_IMG_1841.jpg

6. And now the prelude to the required lume shot! Take a look at the C3 fillage on those dial markers. Holy overflow, Batman! They couldn't possibly pack any more lume paste into those cups. The BGW9 fillage on the bezel was more restrained as one might expect on an exposed surface.

ProxMM300_IMG_1851.jpg

7. And here's the monster at full glow! Yep, freshly-charged and in full darkness, it's a screamer. I really love the color contrast between the C3 and the BGW9 with respect to the different functional parts of the dial and bezel. Exactly the outcome and effect that I had hoped for. Note, the ghost image of the watch dial at around the 4:30 mark is the reflection of the watch on the back of my phone reflected again on the crystal!

ProxMM300_IMG_1831.jpg

Summation

This is a great watch value. Perhaps the best that I've encountered recently. Granted, the model on which it is based is a true, time and performance-tested archetype. But this homage execution really does an excellent job in bringing this aesthetic within reach of those with more modest means. Champagne taste with PBR budget? Check. In fact, it really has increased my admiration for the SBDX023 to the point where I might actually want to add the original to my collection at some point. As it stands, the Proxima MM300 makes a great daily wearing watch. It combines a value-curve busting quality of manufacture with an accessible price point. No need to stand in line for a super-limited, crowd-funded micro brand. This watch is solid, lovely, and satisfying and you can get it all in under two weeks.

The only aspect of the watch that I felt compelled to change is the clasp. With three adjustment holes and the relatively long link dimensions, perfect comfort and fit lies within two accessible settings. Either slightly too loose or slightly too tight, and with no tool-free adjustability. To that end, I've ordered the Taikonaut six-hole clasp from eBay. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll spring for the Strapcode SeikoMM wetsuit ratchet buckle Super Oyster replacement bracelet.

Conflict of interest statement
I was neither offered nor provided any inducement or consideration for this review. I paid full price, minus the 10% mailing list discount for the merchandise. I have no vested interests in either the watch maker or the store front from which I purchased this unit.

·
Premium Member
7,821 Posts
Congrats on your Proxima MM300, and thanks for your initial impressions and pics. It was an excellent overview. Enjoy your Proxima diver.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the lume but that bracelet makes me cringe.
Heheh, it's not nearly as terrible in person. It's quiet serviceable and more than appropriate for this price point. I think those who are NATO or rubber fans could quite easily find a suitable upgrade. If I feel the need to upgrade as a bracelet man, I'd go with this. However, at fully 60% of the cost of the watch itself, I can wait until the itch becomes unbearable.

SS201817B055-1_1024x1024.jpg

SS201817B055_Seiko-MM300-SBDX017-MT_800x.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Doh. My stock bracelet seems to have a broken pin at one of the non-user replaceable links near the end links. I just contacted WRWatches to see if I can get a replacement.

ProxMM300Bracelet.jpg

I was planning on wearing it on a business trip tomorrow. Luckily I had a spare 20 mm generic bracelet from Strapcode on hand. The lug spacing is 20.25 mm. Along with this unpleasant surprise breakage came a pleasant surprise. The case behind the solid endlinks is nicely finished! Ready to rock. The straight-end bracelet gives it quite a different look I think. Really opens up the possibilities.

Also, the drop from lugs to bracelet starts at the springbars at the case as opposed to the tip of the end links. It actually conforms better to my smallish wrist!

ProxMM300AltB1.jpg

ProxMM300AltB2.jpg

Reactions: gg22

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Note. I'm uncertain about the measurements now. I'm going to have to get a set of calipers on this thing.
Post corrected. Lesson is: when attempting to take precision measurements, leave the ruler out. Digital calipers are more precise.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’ve just received mine from WR Watches. Do you think they’re a true monobloc case? Mine looks like a clear line showing it may not be.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I’ve just received mine from WR Watches. Do you think they’re a true monobloc case? Mine looks like a clear line showing it may not be.
Ignore this. I have subsequently learned it has a plain insert.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How long does the lume last? Is it comparable to a Seiko diver in duration?
Yes, it is on par with the other Seiko watches I own. The C3 starts out much brighter than the BGW9 (which seems to take longer to charge up) but after a few hours, they are at the same level-ish. Meaning they're sufficient for deep night viewing.

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Looks good!
I am looking at the bronze San Martin or Proxima for my next pickup. Will probably try to put it on a black bracelet. Leather or straps don't really work on me. The SM Bronze in sunburst green is gorgeous!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Very nice! Don't forget to send photos when you pick up a bronze. I too have been contemplating a bronze. I am currently intrigued by the Proxima bronze w/meteorite face. I think this would work well on a leather strap for me. I am definitely a fan of leather straps on divers. Concerning my Sharkey, the bracelet is so so in terms of construction (stamped clasp parts rather than milled but nonetheless lots of value here for the $. One thing I do like is the high beat Sea-Gull ST-2130 which has proven to be both accurate and reliable----I've had the watch just around a year. I am curious to see whether you opt for another Proxima or go w/the SM.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Great review very informative and helpful. I see the Proxima website offers a titanium bracelet upgrade for 8 dollars.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
You can buy a sterile version with the marine master 300m still on dial for $137.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I checked AliExpress and cannot find it. There is a marine master tuna can listed for that price.

Proxima is 100 bucks cheaper than SanMartin but everyone is looking for a better deal if on exists.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts