WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know a lot of you guys have stealthed bands and bezels using goof off (regular) and goof off 2 to remove the writing on the bezel. most of the DIYs, pictures, and success stories that i saw were with the standard resin bands and bezels. i wanted to give you guys a HUGE WARNING!!!

WARNING: DO NOT USE GOOF OFF (regular) ON THE SHINY RESIN BANDS!!! IT WILL DESTROY THE BAND AND STRIP OFF THE SHINY FINISH OF THE RESIN!!! (keep in mind this warning only applies to the resin bands and bezels with the shiny finish.)

it is FINE to use it on the matte finish resin bands like on the DW6900-1V

HOWEVER, DO NOT use it on the resin bands with the SHINY FINISH. for instance, i tried this experiment on the strap of a DW6900R-7

as you can see, the DW6900R-7 (rastafarian) has a very shiny finish on the resin band and bezel. a few current examples of the shiny finish would be on the:
DW6900CS-1
DW6900CS-4
DW6900CS-7
DW6900R-7

PICTURES:

i soaked the shiny finish resin strap in regular goof off for about 12 minutes and the finish was completely destroyed!!!

the goof off stripped it right off.

you can also see that it distorts the shape of the resin. notice the line where the strap was submerged.

once it strips off the shiny finish, you can see the matte finish of the underlying material.

hope this helps! in fact, i dont know if this "sticky-worthy" but i would hate to see other WUSers not learn from my mistake and my experience.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: PSA WARNING!!! *PICS* Important info about stealthing with regular goof off v. goof of

WOW,... thanks!
np. if you want to make it a sticky just lemme know and i can email you the pictures. that way WUS can still have a copy of the files just in case i ever delete, move, or rename the files.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Re: PSA WARNING!!! *PICS* Important info about stealthing with regular goof off v. goof of

I'd just assumed that these were made from a shiny resin, not resin with a shiny coating. I wonder how long it takes to start flaking off by itself?

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ADDITIONAL NOTE: i started a second experiment with goof off 2. the good news is that it doesnt harm the finish at all. HOWEVER, its not really doing anything to the painted letters on the bezel. perhaps the chemicals in the goof off 2 are not strong enough to remove the paint. its kind of frustrating because the regular goof off is TOO STRONG and the goof off 2 is NOT STRONG ENOUGH. ive been soaking the bezel in goof off 2 for about 40 minutes now. i have used a toothbrush to try to agitate the paint every 10 minutes. no success. the bezel looks the same as it did 40 minutes ago.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I'd just assumed that these were made from a shiny resin, not resin with a shiny coating. I wonder how long it takes to start flaking off by itself?
i thought about that too. now im scared to wear my DW6900 because im thinking that if i crack the top shiny layer then it will just keep peeling and peeling. UGH!

·
Registered
6,321 Posts

One thing I always wondered about is if it really is neccessary to remove the original paint on the letters before painting new paint?

Perhaps it will be ok to just cover the old paint with new paint?

·
Registered
3,046 Posts

Ouch. That sucks. :-(

It looks like you might as well go all the way and strip the coating off though. That plain resin underneath might be easy to dye. Maybe?

Thanks for taking one for the team. :-! I'm sure you'll help save some other G-Shocks from a similar fate. :)

·
Registered
14,026 Posts

Sometimes that bleeds through though. Most people want stealth... with NO paint...

The goof off works well on the non shiny resin.. no complaints on any of my stealthed models.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

One thing I always wondered about is if it really is neccessary to remove the original paint on the letters before painting new paint?

Perhaps it will be ok to just cover the old paint with new paint?
yah i was thinking about painting it matte black anyway... i might just paint over it and wipe off the excess paint like all of the DIYs suggested.

·
Banned
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Ouch. That sucks. :-(

It looks like you might as well go all the way and strip the coating off though. That plain resin underneath might be easy to dye. Maybe?

Thanks for taking one for the team. :-! I'm sure you'll help save some other G-Shocks from a similar fate. :)
i hope so. i would hate to see someone attempt this mod especially after i did the experimentation.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts

im wondering if the red shiny GLX is red underneath or white?:think:

·
Registered
29,512 Posts

All the 'patent' finishes I've seen have a similar base colour as top colour.

Must break off here - a parcel has arrived... :)

·
Registered
460 Posts

I almost purchased one of these "shiny" watches but when I looked at the strap underneath, it was dull and I immediately though of the paint coming off like the Brazilian and other similar models.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.