WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last week I received a very special package from Germany, from our good friend Clemens at H2O :) I am proud to have been the first in North America to lay my hands and eyes on the killer new ORCA!! And let me tell you, the H2O mastermind has completely outdone himself! b-)

When I found out I'd be the first stop on the ORCA prototypes short U.S. sneak-peek tour I was giddy with anticipation! It's no secret I've been excited about this new model right from the first renderings, and let me tell you all, they do not disappoint! :)

I've handled prototype watches before, and while they're usually a 'fairly' close indication of what will ultimately become the production models, they usually look like, well, prototypes. Not these folks. These babies are nothing short of wrist ready perfection! Good grief are they nice!

I grinned from ear to ear when I opened the case, I think I even chuckled out loud, I couldn't believe how cool they were. These are prototypes?!? Wow! They are BEAUTIFUL!

Anyone who's seen the Kalmar knows just what H2O is capable of, and with the bar already set so high by that debut there was certainly some curious anticipation as to what Clemens would do to top it with the next model on deck. With the ORCA, my friends, not only did he meet the challenge, he crushed it!

I have never, and I mean that sincerely, never instantly loved a watch like I do the ORCA. The perfectly wearable size and weight, exquisite design and engineering, and simply impeccable finish work .... it's just awesome.

If it sounds like I'm gushing a bit, I am! It deserves it!

Admittedly, as intrigued as I was by the new interchangeable inner/outer case system, there was part of me that guardedly feared 'gimmicky'. I am pleased to say this is anything but. This is a seriously engineered and executed timepiece.

The inner case itself is nothing short of a work of art, built like a tank and precision machined to jewelry-like result. I received two inner cases, one *grey dial with the black/orange arrow-style handset and flat sapphire crystal, and the other the *black dial and this time with the chrome handset and domed sapphire. Both dials are the Kalmar-esque dive style, as with all the H2O offerings, an original H2O design. The dials are beautifully crafted, extremely legible, and with the addition of chrome-surrounded indices and a raised-tier outer minute ring, the look is simultaneously bold and purposeful yet masterfully refined. These dials are easily on par with the highest end divers out there. Very very nicely done Mr. Helberg

*I should note, that these are prototypes, and Clemens has pointed out that there will be a couple of changes implemented in the final production versions, notably the grey dial will instead have white minute markings on the raised ring, and the black dial will be a deeper/darker 'blacker' black, the latter prototype appeared more a very dark charcoal grey. Both wise changes in my opinion and will serve to further elevate these already great looking faces.

The case-back is equally impressive, the outer stainless ring impeccably engraved with the essential info, make/model, water resistance, etc, and surrounds the sapphire display back offering clear view of the custom finished Swiss ETA 2824-2 auto beating within. The movements in these prototypes use the Kamar-badged rotor, the final production ORCA models will have their own unique finish-work. Among the things that struck me most was the seemingly bomb-proof crown tube. All around the feel is is 'professional', like a quality tool. Clearly it has not been produced only for looks, this thing has been built to purpose.

The outer cases are likewise flawlessly crafted. Each unique, and each equally well executed and with their own distinct personality. The finishing is superb, from the brushed surfaces to the polished sides and bevels, these look and feel far more akin to Rolex and Omega than what we're used to from boutique players. When handling these you get the distinct feeling Clemens isn't just interested in dominating the micro world, he's crashing the big-boys party.

Two bezel choices are offred, and I got to see both. And here too, design and execution are exceptional. The new sawtooth bezel is especially cool, and as great as it looks in pictures it's that much nicer in person. As with the rest of the watch the finishing work on bezels is spectacular! I can't say enough about the sapphire bezel insert, it sits perfectly flush, reflects just enough light to add a rich sheen at angle without ever glaring, and the lumed markers glow brightly a beautiful cool blue, matching the dial markers brilliant lume to perfection.

When the inner and outer cases are engaged the result is incredible. But for the slot for the crown tube to slip through, you'd be hard pressed to see that this is a two-piece puzzle. Once they're married, the precision fit integration is seamless. Even the hex screws that are used to secure the inner cases within are cleverly hidden (and protected) by the strap/bracelet ends. Too cool.

Speaking of the bracelet... it's ridiculous. Good ridiculous. NOBODY is building a better bracelet. 24mm, reversible design with both angular and rounded link edges, immaculately brushed finish, and secured with the universally loved ratcheting dive clap engraved with the H2O wave-logo and a gorgeous micro-machine-turned internal finish. Add that EVERY link in secured with hex screws, man, I challenge anyone to find better.

The samples arrived in the black pelican case with raised H20 badge and custom cut interior foam, brand new for ORCA. Case has plenty enough room for several inner and outer cases, bracelet, straps etc... and also included two custom H2O hex-drivers. A fitting package for a fantastic watch.

All in all, I can't praise this one enough. I'm going to say out out loud.... this may well be my perfect dive watch.

Sadly for me after a great time enjoying them I had to forward them on, they're now in the hands of the next previewer (also a WUS alum), I expect w3e'll see his pictures and thoughts posted soon :)

Man I hated to see these go, I miss them already, production arrivals can't come soon enough!

Bottom line folks, if you haven't pre-ordered your ORCA yet, what are you waiting for!?! GO DO IT! IMO, there's not a better watch out there for 3X the money. Heck, there may not be a better watch out there at all.

Easily my vote for watch of the year

now without further ado, the good stuff... PICTURES!!!

Figuring there were still lots of people making final decisions about which case(s)/combos to choose, I went a bit (OK, a lot) crazy with pictures, get comfortable, there's a whole mes of them! :-d

First up, inner and outer cases...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Re: Pssssst.... Hey, over here, H2O ORCA! A PICTURE BOUNTY! :)

Wow!!!!
That looks amazing!
Is that the color of 7carbon?
Mono is the best IMHO

I can't wait for mine....

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Very nice indeed. Do you have any pics that show the hidden screws that releases the inner case? Counting down the days!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

I was starting to get itch for more info, more pictures. I knew the prototypes were making the rounds.
Man did you step up to the plate on that one. Wow.
I already put myself down for the sapphire tornado bezel and I was hoping to see more pictures of the other bezel.
Don't worry Sheriff, the pictures were awesome. The biggest surprise for me is how great the SS Tornado bezel looks.
The way you took the photos, the SS looked just as good as the sapphire bezel.
I've made my mind up on the second case, need to contact Clemens:)

Thanks for the great write up and the wonderful pictures. End of September can't get here soon enough.
Too bad I don't have it now, cause I'm going to Tunisia for 2 weeks and I sorely need a new vacation beach watch!
Just another month to sit through......

Reactions: sheriffd2

·
Registered
9,327 Posts

Wow. Um, like, share, thumbs up, tweet. Oh geez I've run out whatever words the kids use to say they like it. Clemens hit a grand slam with this one - very very nice and what that?..... oh yeah, the pain of waiting for delivery! Well done to you on the pictures, and well done to Clemens for another winner.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts

WOW!!!! I'm absolutely speechless. Thanks so much for your time and effort in posting your thoughts and wonderful pics! I really appreciate it. You did a spectacular job!!! That said, you've just dented my savings a bit more as I'm definitely going to add a mono case to my order after seeing your pics. Man I can't wait for these!!! Bravo H2O!!! Bravo!

·
Registered
7,952 Posts

:-!:-!:-!

Thanks for sharing! And love the photo flood. Since even an experienced watch collector like yourself was excited with just the experience of handling a prototype, the Orca's hit all the right sweet spots.
From your pictures I can see quite a bit of attention to detail. I look forward to its official release.

Reactions: sheriffd2

·
Registered
172 Posts

Please donot post another threads like this. I could not resist anymore and my wallet will be fcked, again :((

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

WOW. incredible pics! I really like H2O, and their case designs. Watches look great! I want one! Thanks for sharing, and again great pics!

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

This one is making me reassess my collection and my view of the micros. I've gone to the H20 website and downloaded the program to create the version that I would choose and it now is taking all of my willpower to keep from pressing the order button. Great photos. [106, if I'm not mistaken.] And what a bezel [the one in the first photos overall].

·
Registered
103 Posts

Having a H2O Orca Diver on pre-order, your review made me grin from ear to ear.

Really looking forward to september........

Merik

·
Registered
305 Posts

Thanks sheriffd2 for the review and especially for all the fantastic, glossy pics!!! Sooooo can not wait for this watch to be on my wrist.

Can I ask whether you ordered bezel 1 or bezel 2 (saw-tooth) with your dive watch? I've ordered bezel 1 but now I'm thinking I want bezel 2 instead!!!

·
Seiko, Cartier Moderator
2,592 Posts

I think you need more photos.....

Watches look great though!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts