WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all smartwatches powered by the Qualcomm 2100 suffer from short battery life and performance issues, probably due to the lack of RAM. Some manufacturers like Mobvoi has boosted the RAM on their flagship watches to 1GB (from 512MB), but it didn't fix the core problem.

Latest watches using the Qualcomm 3100 perform slightly better. Battery life is improved. But from what experts say, the 3100 is just the 2100 with a coprocessor, same 28nm process. It's a technical trick rather than a true technological advancement. So again, the issue hasn't been solved.

We are left with no other choice than waiting for the first watch with the Qualcomm 4100 to come. Hopefully the 12nm process and higher CPU speed will make a better Wear OS watch.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I dont do the fancy qualcom stuff as i doubt my gshock has one. My advice is to wait for the 4100 to come out so you can see some real world data. If its good, get it. If its not good enough, the 3100 will be cheaper/discounted and you saved some dough.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Patience Iago, patience....
But in short don't go with WearOS. Or 3100 instead of 4100.
4100 is powerful to pull full fledged phone.
Not sure it translates to better watch though. The only thing which stands out is more advanced always on co processor and that may pull things to the better if Google won't screw it. which like if you have room fool of beer and bunch of freshman during party and you bet on nobody barfing. It's sure possible!!!!!
There is new Galaxy Watch 3 out and it's slimmer, lighter, faster.... and has titanium model at less than 50gr!

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
4100 looks good. nothing wrong with it. Only doubt i have it's pretty powerful CPU and all that nice yet 3100 also had low power co processor and promised up to 1 week of "watch mode" life. which we never saw in any current WearOS powered watches. It's not just CPU it's kind of whole package.
It worth mentioning that previous 3 gens been mostly aorund same A7 cores as much as it came to main CPU core. so in a way 4100 is a first major redesign on platform (sort of). so theoretically speaking it has more potential to be better and more efficient yet it clocked at 1.7 GHz (why?) and there is no word on power consumption.
Also worth noticing low power co processor is optional on 4100+ model (according to some sources).
Anyway i can claim old 2 year old Samsung on previous SOC living 3 days of normal use with puny 42mm battery.
there is huge amount of uncertainty and guesses surrounding Google and Wear OS. It's all in future improvements.
My huge gripe with them it been said since day 1 6 years ago. why bet on something which is promised when you can have something which already delivered (years ago btw)?

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
there is huge amount of uncertainty and guesses surrounding Google and Wear OS. It's all in future improvements.
I won't even suggest that Google cares enough about WearOS.

Google Play Music is being phased out in favor of YouTube Music starting next month. That change already exacerbates the need for the latter to achieve a desirable feature parity with its predecessor, but it also now presents a challenging chasm for Wear OS users who will lose access to Play Music without a robust YouTube Music experience.

A new Wear OS help page tells users that they won’t be able to download or even use Google Play Music “in the next couple of weeks.” And until a proper YouTube Music experience appears “in the coming months,” that means they’ll have to resort to other apps in order to download and play local files.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The latest Oppo watch (Qualcomm 3100 based) seems to have a custom version of Wear OS. A couple of early reviews say the operation of the watch is smooth, battery life is acceptable.

So maybe customization is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
The latest Oppo watch (Qualcomm 3100 based) seems to have a custom version of Wear OS. A couple of early reviews say the operation of the watch is smooth, battery life is acceptable.

So maybe customization is the way to go.

That not Apple Watch?

·
Registered
6,777 Posts

Me neither. Yet for some reason in minds of more common people and some considerable amount of tech writers Apple-Google dominance translates into wearable market.
I strongly feel Google is kind of sloppy 3d-5th option. You can customize OS, yet it's not even on par with others.
Plus, Google aka Alphabet been pushing some AI functionality and some predictions, data mining instead of building proper watch OS. To have same abysmal battery life as 6 years ago is beyond me. Not push Qualicom to produce what you need is also beyond me. They owned Motorola, bought Fossil part of smartwatch business (they among #1 in Wear OS watches) and have all money in the world and support of Samsung at the start and still produce what they did... is totally beyond me.
What more i think Google highly skilled and paid professionals kind off not in tune with what real use will be. Not everyone sitting in Sarbax (pre covid) and have all comfort and time to do gestures (not documented in most cases) to control small device.
I almost got into accident while dealing with their maps and while confirming back to back Samsung VS Moto 360 i got Samsung logic in a heart bit while Wear OS was less intuitive and in some cases outright awkward. Don't think people understood how it will look on the hand and how it should be useful on the go. Or did not care much about it.
0 regrets not getting Wear OS wearable so far.

·
Registered
19,291 Posts
Plus, Google aka Alphabet been pushing some AI functionality and some predictions, data mining instead of building proper watch OS. To have same abysmal battery life as 6 years ago is beyond me. Not push Qualicom to produce what you need is also beyond me. They owned Motorola, bought Fossil part of smartwatch business (they among #1 in Wear OS watches) and have all money in the world and support of Samsung at the start and still produce what they did... is totally beyond me.
Rene Ritchie talked a bit about Qualcomm's stagnation in wearables in this vid, saying that because they're just a chipmaker, it's not worth it to them to invest the kind of money and resources on such a small market (relatively speaking) with so little certainty that manufacturers will be there to buy the chips.

4:13 -

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
I don't think market is that small especially if you produce something worthy.
They did failed to understand what difference is between phone and wearable from get go.
In case of Apple and Samsung they hold control over both hardware and software thus they improved a lot and for Qualcomm it fell through on feedback loop from customers. Yes, profits are smaller but they won't be there is you sell what they sell. Samsung and Apple had almost same SOCs by the way so it's software fault more than hardware.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Gotta have enough clients (manufacturers) to buy it, though.
It's bigger for Wear OS than Samsung in the end. Samsung leads as single manufacturer over let say Fossil but if you add up everyone who uses Wear OS it will be quite impressive number. Not the AW numbers but still hardly a small market we talking about millions. Nothing compared to phones though.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The best / honest advice I can give would be to just avoid WearOS all together. UNLESS you like to tinker with things and are OK with an operating system that requires regular maintenance, with spotty reliability for the end user. I have owned an android wear / WearOS device since 2015, its been an up and down experience. When they work like they're supposed to its really-really good. Its awesome getting driving directions from google maps, and actively voice-responding to text messages without taking my phone out of my pocket. When its buggy, a little laggy or unpredictable, it leaves me with a partially functional device. In worst cases I am left with a dumb-watch that can not communicate with my cell phone at all. In my experience as a very basic user, my SD2100 processor speed and 512 RAM really haven't been the sources of major problems. Its the reliability of WearOS and the poor quality updates from Google that release and mess things up.

FWIW... I barely get about 1 day of battery life from my Fossil gen4 explorist with very-very basic use as a text message notifier. I am OK with that personally, but I do consider it a flawed design and for most people thats not going to be sufficient.

Good Luck though with what-ever you choose.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Fossil Gen 5 just got update with one of the promised things better battery life close to 24hr...
That 3100. Hardly an achievement by any other contemporary platform. Fossil frankly among best.
Casio can pull it bit better but in totally dumb watch and they never bothered to upgrade to 3100.
My point here again it's all in software.
Many people do use it. I could not. Getting more than 2 days of life is kind of paramount. Getting 3 is passable. 5 or more i think you can happily forget about battery just keep charger by computer and charge your watch while replying to the threads...
But like i said many people use it.
Thing is what is more important to you: google services, sport features, apple integration (though apple watch is very good all around), battery life ... there is no ideal watch out so far.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to the recent articles on the Qualcomm 4100 that I've read, the battery life could be 25% longer than the current Qualcomm 3100, maybe they mean the same apps and identical usage patterns.

That made me a bit perplexed, the earlier articles said about week-long battery life, bit now it seems like they agreed about 2 or 3 days of battery life.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Normal is 12-36 hr depending on apps and usage.+25% means it will be 16-48 hr or so.
Up to 1 week is in power saving mode with only watch functionality.

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Normal is 12-36 hr depending on apps and usage.+25% means it will be 16-48 hr or so.
Up to 1 week is in power saving mode with only watch functionality.
It seems that they adopted the word "watch mode" instead of "power saving mode".

Meanwhile, “watch mode” now supports up to 64,000 colors, battery indicators, alarms, reminders, and haptics, while Qualcomm touts “faster tilt-to-wake responsiveness.” The regular 4100 lacks the co-processor for manufacturers that don’t need an ambient display.

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
That also means if your watch is based on regular 4100 your power saving will be greatly reduced.
Also if watch is always full function .... you can kiss this promised week or so goodbye

1 - 20 of 33 Posts