WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a white dial 1603 datejust for sometime now. I think I may have found one, but am looking for guidance regarding the condition of the watch. This would be my first vintage datejust. Would you consider this to be a decent example and not to over polished?

On two of the pics I have circled what might be dirt/grime, but I am not 100% sure.

Any and all guidance would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
What appears to be rust on the front side of 10 and 4 oclock lugs where it meets the bezel would bother me, other than that condition looks like its par for course for a vintage on the lower end of the price spectrum. Certainly not mint but the blemish you circled didn't seem out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Rust and corrosion. I’d pass - there are tons better examples of the 1603 out there.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Sure, people ask u to pass it. But a good condition datejust will definitely cost a lot. Since you are looking for pre-owned, I am sure you are on budget. This datejust looks quite good despite some minor rust you mention.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
From what I can see in your images, I'll suggest that a good Service at any Independent Watchmaker would result in a watch being handed back to you with all the debris on the case...gone.

All this appears to be is nothing more than the kinds of stuff that end-up on any watch that's actually worn in 'The Real World'. Once the movements removed from the case and the case is run through a cleaning bath and a few rinses, I'll predict that all you'll see is clean, sparkling Stainless Steel. Oh, there will remain some pitting and scratches where the bracelet worked its way into the case, and I'm sure there will be a few, other spots that show this Rolex was worn.

All this seems about normal, and--assuming the price matches condition--you should end up with a very nice watch.

Michael.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
If your buying from a dealer. Ask. It could just be surface grime that he didn't bother to put the extra time into to remove (you can see some around the bezel and crystal)

When I received such watches. I went over them with my Foredom and brass wire brush to get into tight areas to clean whatever out.

Bracelets were a soaking and a scrub brush

Private seller. Can only do so much to make it presentable.

You can take your chances and if need be. Take it to a local Rolex boutique and ask for a case refinishing.

For that cost though. You may as well look for something in better condition

DON

·
Registered
917 Posts
The dial looks splendid, the case and bracelet have quite a bit of the POs dna still remaining just a bit of toothpaste and an old brush would get rid of most of it. A pic of the inside of the back when removed and the gasket area of the case would tell how much crevice corrosion there really is. GLWTP

·
Registered
804 Posts
The dial is in excellent shape. I suspect this will clean up very nicely. The underside lug pitting won't be noticeable from the wrist or to anyone else for that matter. Comes down to price, and whether you can live with the remaining blemishes. All vintage watches unless new old stock will show some battle scars, which are part of their story and appeal in some respects.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I would not pass unless it's overpriced.
Dirt outside and no crap inside(dial and movement) means it was taken care of and has good seals.
Dirt would disapprear from several ultrasonic cycles just like that.
It only has some damage on the lugs from the bracelet

1 - 13 of 13 Posts