WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much deliberation between the tuna and sumo, I ended up getting a landlubber watch, the alpinist with green dial! For some reason I thought the sarb017 had been discontinued, but i was wrong, so i figured i better pick one up from seiya san before they do cease production. (I hesitated before on a sarb031 and missed getting one due to their being discontinued.) Looking to add a couple good straps, probably a good dark brown gator and maybe a toshi with some emrald stitching...

I've always been drawn to the rolex explorer, but too mucho dinero. The alpinist has a nice vintage look which I find very appealing. Never had a watch with a green dial, so hopefully it looks good in the flesh! Will post pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well congratulations I'm sure you will enjoy your choice, I have the SARB061 Alpinist and think these Alpinist are one of there more unique and diverse line they offer with the nice 6R15 movement in them. You can go from the old world look with yours the 017 to total tool look with my 061.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice choice. I too am waiting for an Alpinist (used) to arrive. I went for the SARB015. I will probably have a custom leather strap made for it to go along with the bracelet. Great looking watches.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congratulations, been thinking about one of these for a while myself and had noticed that Seiya wasn't selling them. Must just have been a temp shortage.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I don't like gold color on watches.

But I love my 017! :)
I'm still experimenting with different straps but brown gator and Toshi are great options.

Congrats and post lots of pics when you get it.
Migman you too on the 015 please.

...and some pics to tide you over...

seiko_alpinist160.jpg

seiko_alpinist154.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
seriously thinking about one of these and your photos are pushing me closer to getting one.

Photoshooter - I gotta say you've nailed the strap choice! Where did you get that from??

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
I don't like gold color on watches.

But I love my 017! :)
I have one as well and I feel the exact same way. Never been much for gold, but I love green - favorite color since I was a kid. This watch really speaks to me. I can just stare at it mesmorized. Beautiful. And mine easily keeps COSC time. It is typically + or - 5 seconds or better depending on how much I'm wearing it or in what position I leave it. My favorite band so far is a brown bund because it makes it feel a bit larger than it is. I've also been wearing it on a SS bracelet and a Nato. Did I mention I truly love this watch??

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Congrats, you have a great one there in the 017.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
interesting that i have never been a fan of gold either. this watch just seems to work, though, at least in the pics! killing me watching the usps tracking... sitting in NYC...:-(

only one pure gold watch i have ever seen that i wish i could / would have bought (it's also the last thing i ever would have bought when my wife heard the price), a Ulysse Nardin perpetual Ludwig in rose gold that was absolutely stunning.

funny how after collecting and then selling off a number of swiss and german watches (haven't even worn a watch for years), it's the japanese seiko's that are appealing to me. time to start looking for a nice used sbgw001...;-)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
seriously thinking about one of these and your photos are pushing me closer to getting one.

Photoshooter - I gotta say you've nailed the strap choice! Where did you get that from??

Thanks!
It's a solid all-around watch. The strap in the pic is a Hirsch Liberty; one of the more versatile "off the shelf" straps in my opinion. I plan to experiment with a few more options on this watch too. I purchased the Liberty from Freda Watchstraps.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
These 6r15s are great. I have a couple of SCVS models and just picked up the SARB035 from Seiya. Not the cheapest, at the $400.-$500. price point, but almost impossible to beat the overall value. Never thought I'd dig the Alpinist, but after seeing Photoshooter's post I am truly swayed! Enjoy your purchase, and best of luck to you and your fellow New Yorkers during this storm!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Many great minds all thinking alike it seems, I also was on the fence about a sumo or a sbdd001. Yet, there was something very classic looking about the sarb017 design. Maybe it's the overall combination with green and gold, but I just liked the look of it. Were you also on the waiting list for the last batch? I saw on Seiya's website the 017 briefly listed a couple of weeks ago, but now is again no longer available.

Just checking shipping this morning and my package has cleared customs. I'm looking forward to this package, some time on Wed.

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
Many great minds all thinking alike it seems, I also was on the fence about a sumo or a sbdd001. Yet, there was something very classic looking about the sarb017 design. Maybe it's the overall combination with green and gold, but I just liked the look of it. Were you also on the waiting list for the last batch? I saw on Seiya's website the 017 briefly listed a couple of weeks ago, but now is again no longer available.

Just checking shipping this morning and my package has cleared customs. I'm looking forward to this package, some time on Wed.
I got mine about two months ago from Higuchi.

Seiko 6R15 ALPINIST Automatic,SARB013,SARB015,SARB017

They seem to still have it in stock. I recommend them. Great communication and lightning fast shipment (to USA). It shipped the day after I ordered it and I immediately received an email with a tracking link. I can't remeber exactly how long it took to arrive, but I think it was only about 4 or 5 days.

The strangest thing about the whole experience was that it took about a month and a half before the charge finally posted to my credit card.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's here! came yesterday. very happy, only a small quibble or two, one hour marker a little off and the crown is a little off center between the crown guards. it's placed closer to the crown guard toward 12:00. i noticed this in a pic in another thread, so maybe it's not unusual. not enough to worry about. will take some pics soon. a really classic watch, can't wait to get some good leather on it!!!:)

here's a link to the other thread which shows a watch that appears to have the same "issue", see 3rd, 7th, 8th pics
https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/seiko-qc-rant-then-green-alpinist-pictures-295560.html

·
Registered
113 Posts
My experience with Seiya was excellent as well, superb communication and quite humorous. Package was shipped out the day I requested to thread business and vacation. Customer service gets a 10/10. Just a couple more days to go...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Woo Hoo, I made it home just as the Fed Ex guy was pulling out of my driveway! I quickly blocked him in and he just smiled at me. So, I've got a box sitting here in front of me. Time to take a peek, will post some pictures later on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts