WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I correct in thinking that Pulsar is a part of the Seiko brand family? If so, do they share the same/similar quality, durability, and precision in their products? My husband has droppped new hints for what he is looking for in a watch (ani/digi chronograph w/a stainless band) and I spied a Pulsar that might fit the bill w/in the price range he is limiting me to. Looking for any input you might have.

:thanks

V

·
0 Posts
Yes, Pulsar is manufactured by Seiko. It's positioned in the lower end of the market, so you may find the quality inferior to say, a Seiko 5 superior.

Well made watches for the money though. Really bang for the buck.

·
Banned
11,612 Posts
Yes, Pulsar is manufactured by Seiko. It's positioned in the lower end of the market, so you may find the quality inferior to say, a Seiko 5 superior.

Well made watches for the money though. Really bang for the buck.
Small correction. Yes, it is correct that Pulsar is owned by Seiko these days (they bought it from Hamilton). However, the brand is not exactly low end. It is positioned just below Seiko, but just above above Lorus within the seiko heirarchy. Like seiko, they make a wide range of analog and digital watches. Though most of their line is quartz, they do have a few automatic models that use the seiko 7s calibers. Also depending on the market, watches that are branded as Seiko, Alba, AKA, Spoon or Lorus, are sometimes rebranded as Pulsars - with no other change, but the brand name. Although Pulksar's typically use the same movements as some entry level Seikos (such as the 7s automatic caliber and the 7T62 quartz chronograph movement), construction quality is on par with similar entry level (and even the occasional mid-level) offerings branded Seiko.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Small correction. Yes, it is correct that Pulsar is owned by Seiko these days (they bought it from Hamilton). However, the brand is not exactly low end. It is positioned just below Seiko, but just above above Lorus within the seiko heirarchy. Like seiko, they make a wide range of analog and digital watches. Though most of their line is quartz, they do have a few automatic models that use the seiko 7s calibers. Also depending on the market, watches that are branded as Seiko, Alba, AKA, Spoon or Lorus, are sometimes rebranded as Pulsars - with no other change, but the brand name. Although Pulksar's typically use the same movements as some entry level Seikos (such as the 7s automatic caliber and the 7T62 quartz chronograph movement), construction quality is on par with similar entry level (and even the occasional mid-level) offerings branded Seiko.

Are you familiar with the Pulsar PP4005 and, if so, what do you think of it in comparison w/other Seiko offerings?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The original Pulsar brand could easily be compared to Grand Seiko as they cost around $3K in 1972 when their LED watch was released! My dad's 72 Volvo 144 cost $5K!! He bought a 14kt gold-filled 1975 Pulsar Executive LED watch for $500 which I now own and would cost about $3K in today's dollar. Time Computer was a spin-off of Hamilton who developed the Pulsar in 1972. Seiko bought the rights to the brand name in 1979. Pulsar from that point on was no longer "Pulsar" in my opinion in the same manner as Altec Lansing speakers were no longer "Altec Lansing" when Harmon International bought them in 1985.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
The only Pulsar I've ever owned was a Kinetic and to me the fit, finish, and quality was better than the cheaper Seiko offerings and I'd say it's just as good as my Seiko Kinetic diver. I wore it every day for 8 years and it still works and keeps excellent time. I just need to repair the band in one sport for it to be wearable again.

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you shop carefully, you can get a great value by purchasing a Pulsar. They will frequently appear online deeply discounted to a fraction of their MSRP.

I currently own 2 Pulsars, and sold off a third one earlier this year. Each was purchased for under $100, discounted heavily as discontinued models. The Solar 4000 diver was (and is, when it can be found) a great bargain at under $100. The chronographs with Seiko 7Txx movements can be the most economical way to get these movements and still have a quality case around it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts