WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never looked at the lower models of the bigger companies like Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, etc., so while I've seen Pulsar, Caravelle, Armitron and whatever else, I've never really considered their watches. They've always been a little too affordable for me, as I'm someone who definitely believes you get what you pay for. However, today I stopped at Times Square to try and get this Steinhart bracelet debacle figured out (to no avail), and was admiring the Seikos. So great in real life! My eyes wandered to Pulsar since it was next to it and I had time and saw a few I really liked.

Mainly this model:
IMG_0721.JPG

This could be the watch I'd buy and then take pics of for the "I really wanted this, so I got this instead" thread since it's almost a dead ringer for the Tissot Le Locle. Almost. Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts on the quality, finish, etc. of these "lower" brands? I'm under the impression this is Seikos affordable lineup and most are under $100. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but just wanted to know if these watches last and if it would hold up over time. It would be an easy fix to my lack of a white faced dress watch, but I was also able to see in person the Seiko Kinetic dresser I've been eyeing up on Amazon. That may have moved to the top of the list.

·
Registered
983 Posts
miles behind. not even close. no chance.
Wrong. It is clearly a homage. Textured dials, roman numerals, date at 3, indices, etc. Time to get the prescription checked my friend.

220px-TissotLeLocle.jpg

Anyway, I own a few Pulsars, they are basically Seikos with HQ Japanese quartz movements. If you like the watch, buy it and enjoy it, and don't listen to ultaior for a second.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, my comment was sarcastic. Of course it's not on the same quality or finish scale, but in terms of looks, it's very close. The part I love about the Le Locle is that textured dial. I just don't need a $400 mechanical for a dress watch when I don't dress up much. I love the style though, so this is one of those times where I wonder if I can get away with "cheap" even if that's a paradox - using my cheapest watch for the dressiest occasions. But if it's a watch that is not going to break after a year, has good battery life and won't scratch up, fall apart, stop working if I lightly hit it against something, I'd be willing to pay $70 for it. I just have no idea of where the quality is - my connotation of these is not good, but people love the Timex Weekenders because they work, look good in many situations, and keep good time. If this is like those on a slightly higher quality scale, I think it would do for what I need it to - rather than spend $200 on a Seiko Kinetic that's similar or a Citizen, which is where I am at now.

Reactions: Bodyblue

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I've never heard a bad thing about Pulsars. Folks that own them seem to be satisfied. They make a few models that I really like the looks of.

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
Pulsars are are a nice watch . Pulsar is used in the US for Seikos lower brand and Lorus is mainly used in Europe at those price points. Both are good solid watches. They usually have coated brass cases to account for the price difference but not always. If you like it, get it! You wont be sorry.

Armitrons are a US brand that has some upper models that are very nice but they get lumped in with the junk because they have the lower priced models in the case at WalMart.

Oh and Captain O, I knew you would read this thread my friend!

T

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
miles behind. not even close. no chance.

this is lots of true about pulsar. actually I won't pay even 100$ for any watch from your pic.

Thats easy to do since most Pulsars go for less than $100. Since they are a Seiko product however they are worth every penny spent.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have an older Pulsar dress watch that was bought for me to replace a similar Seiko that had one of the indices separate from the watch face. I'm guessing it's at least 20 years old and has stood up well to my abuse; notice the scratched crystal. Still runs a treat.

V501-5A20 6-21-15_01.jpg

I rally like the style of watch you've landed on and believe if you trace the style back a ways you'll find the original inspiration to be the Breguet Classique, at least that's what this article intimates. I have a version made by ESQ (yuk, a Movado!!!) and love it to pieces. There are tons of this style made by many, many companies.

I'd say, if you like the style the quality will certainly be in line with what you'd pay for a Pulsar. If my budget ever supported it I'd get one of the Frederique Constant versions.

edited for clarity

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm under the impression this is Seikos affordable lineup and most are under $100. I'm not expecting anything amazing, but just wanted to know if these watches last and if it would hold up over time.
In the upper tier of Seiko's affordable brands, better distributed in UK than USA. Good Seiko movements and LumiBrite, but quality control is not as good. UK Ministry of Defence issued Pulsar field watches and chronographs and dropped them over quality control. Don't buy one you can't return.

There are lots and lots of Pulsars. I rate most of them between meh and feh, but I like a few and this is one.

·
Premium Member
64,092 Posts
Affordable or otherwise I can't imagine Seiko selling something (even if it didn't have their name on the dial) that wasn't up to scratch as it would come back to bite Pulsar and ultimately them.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I thought it might be like Seiko, but wasn't sure if they were any good, since I rarely see anything about the "lower" class manufacturers. I love that style though, the textured dial and the Roman numerals just looks really classy to me in a dress watch. I think it can be done otherwise, but the RN just look the best in a dressy piece rather than anything casual. I'd have worn the Tissot a lot, but I'm getting to the point where I have 3 to 5 really great watches I like to wear all the time, so I don't need to spend a ton of money on a rather important watch to have, but not one I'll wear often. There are a few different models too, with different bracelets and then the day and date in analog form, which I previously discounted because I thought it was a chronograph, but am rethinking.

TCL, I am almost positive my coworker has that watch. He's one of the only other people I see regularly wear watches. But his go from an Ironman one to a Capt. America, to the ESQ, and a So & Co, so I don't think he's quite a WIS. Now that I can see that one when it's not a few feet away on someone else's wrist, it's really a nice looking watch.

For reference, here is the Kinetic Seiko SRN055 I mentioned. It's dropping in price and may be able to snag it around Black Friday for cheap too, otherwise the Pulsar. I don't need it anytime soon, so I should wait! Gotta buy new boots. I saw this one in rose gold yesterday, but it's on the large side which I do like and can handle. It's got some detail and I don't have Kinetic or a display back, so this is covering a lot of bases.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Is the dial on that Pulsar silver? If you want a white dial and a similar look for a lot less than the Tissot you could try finding one of these. I got mine for around $150.
What's up ESQ Filmore buddy! I got mine at a Movado outlet for $122. Great peace for the money, the hands are spectacular in the right light.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Affordable or otherwise I can't imagine Seiko selling something (even if it didn't have their name on the dial) that wasn't up to scratch as it would come back to bite Pulsar and ultimately them.
Notes on British Military watch issues (post WWII)

The Gulf War came at around the same time as the end of the Cold War and with it the inevitable search for the peace dividend . This meant selling off a large part of the war reserve stocks including the WWW's, Smiths W10's and the bulk of the mechanical G10's. Almost immediately after the massive and far ranging defence cuts came involvement in the conflict in the Former Yugoslavia and continuing operations in Ulster. . . .

The search for ever greater savings caused the cash strapped MOD to look for a cheap alternative to the high quality CWC G10's and came up with its first disposable wrist watch the Pulsar W10. In short order these new watches failed, crowns fell off, crystals fell out and movements simply died. Worst of all Pulsar started messing around with the watches being supplied using even lower quality components than specified. Units started making other arrangements, witholding their remaining CWC G10's and literally voting with their feet by returning the Pulsars on masse to the DLO.
The funniest comments are from the vets.

The Pulsar G10

·
Banned
2,835 Posts

Hmmm so you are basing your opinion civilian Pulsar watches from military service units issued over 10 years ago?

From the blog you gave the url too; "isnt there 2 different models?

one short and one long hands

i had a long hand one [sold here i think]

it was very reliable,hit the markers,looked good and hardley a mark on it"

".. A bit harsh Davie :?
The lume is great, the timekeeping is spot on and its got a date...

What more do you need for a cheap beater with "By Royal Appointment to HRH" now attached.. :D :D "

Two out of the three that commented on it, thought it was ok. Of course that blog was from 2008 as well. So I bet it is safe to say that unless they guy goes to war with it, it will be just fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts