WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im trying to round out a possible 3 watch rotation of daily wearers that gives me more diversity of watch types. Essentially, I have 3 divers so I've decided to part ways with the PO. This leaves me with my black Breitling SOH on mesh and my white dial Breitling Super Avenger.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357613590.406473.jpg
I'm not a movement snob in any way but will certainly consider in house if I like the watch. I'm thinking a last resort max budget of $7k, though its not about the price as much as getting the right one. Ideally 1 diver, 1 chrono, and 1 dressier watch. Formal dress watches are not my style nor are smallish <40 mm watches.

Here are my thoughts
1) Pick up a Breitling Transocean (3 hander), Omega Aqua Terra, or maybe a JLC Memovox

2) Wait to collect more funds and buy a Panerai 351

3) Sell the Super Avenger and buy a Breitling Transocean Chrono which can run double duty as a dressy watch.

4) Punt! Just keep the two. Who needs 3? Other suggestions welcome.

Thanks for any and all comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
You probably have your sights set on the transocean which would be a great choice for a Breitling fan.

Most people will suggest the Aqua Terra 8500 because it represents one of the best values in the mid tier luxury world (along side grand seiko).

You might not like formal dressy watches not care about movements but ANY JLC Master (ultra thin moon pref) would be a great way to spend your budget and join the horological elite at an entry level price.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You probably have your sights set on the transocean which would be a great choice for a Breitling fan.

Most people will suggest the Aqua Terra 8500 because it represents one of the best values in the mid tier luxury world (along side grand seiko).

You might not like formal dressy watches not care about movements but ANY JLC Master (ultra thin moon pref) would be a great way to spend your budget and join the horological elite at an entry level price.
Thanks Waldoh. I think the Aqua Terra is the safe choice for sure. It's a very versatile piece. I'd love a JLC Ultra Thin but just don't think I would wear it on a consistent basis. Beautiful watches

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
I think you're on to something with that Memovox...

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not a Breitling fan per say, but your SOH is really nice! Pick up a Speedy and call it good!

·
Registered
798 Posts
I'm not a movement snob in any way but will certainly consider in house if I like the watch. I'm thinking a last resort max budget of $7k, though its not about the price as much as getting the right one. Ideally 1 diver, 1 chrono, and 1 dressier watch. Formal dress watches are not my style nor are smallish <40 mm watches.

Here are my thoughts
1) Pick up a Breitling Transocean (3 hander), Omega Aqua Terra, or maybe a JLC Memovox
You are right a ''dress'' watch would balance your collection. I really like all your choices in option 1, leaning to JLC as a potential higher level brand in your stable. But if you dont particularly like formal dress watches then Wuyeah's suggestions are good as sporty watches that would pass in a formal setting.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not a Breitling fan per say, but your SOH is really nice! Pick up a Speedy and call it good!
Thanks. The SOH is my favorite and a keeper. I'm not sure if adding another chrono is the answer though. I know the Speedy is a forum favorite but I'm not particularly fond of it.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
13,958 Posts
I'd go with option 3:

3) Sell the Super Avenger and buy a Breitling Transocean Chrono which can run double duty as a dressy watch.

Then you can always save up for a third watch for maximum versatility. I'm trying to go for a three watch rotation myself and it's hard to choose. I sold a Pan Europ because I felt the Monaco was already a sporty/vintage chrono. Now I'm wonder if I should sell the Planet Ocean because it's such a great all around watch that I wonder if I would be happier with something dressy and something tough.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'd go with option 3:

Then you can always save up for a third watch for maximum versatility. I'm trying to go for a three watch rotation myself and it's hard to choose. I sold a Pan Europ because I felt the Monaco was already a sporty/vintage chrono. Now I'm wonder if I should sell the Planet Ocean because it's such a great all around watch that I wonder if I would be happier with something dressy and something tough.
To be honest that's the way I'm leaning. It would be hard to part ways with the SA though. Its actually a terrific piece if you have the wrist for it. I'd love to add a Panerai or JLC, though not as economically friendly. It was a tough decision to boot the PO as its a great watch. I think everyone needs a nice diver in their rotation.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Anything JLC is a winner here. I see why you are drawn to the Aqua Terra and the Panerai. I would go for a Rolex Explorer (I) rather than the Aqua Terra, but I see why you like it. Personally, the Breitlings do nothing for me...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anything JLC is a winner here. I see why you are drawn to the Aqua Terra and the Panerai. I would go for a Rolex Explorer (I) rather than the Aqua Terra, but I see why you like it. Personally, the Breitlings do nothing for me...
I agree anything JLC is a great choice. I will either get that Memovox or a MC Navy Seals at some point in my collecting experience. Come on mpalmer! Breitling has one of the biggest most diverse line ups out there. There has got to be ONE you like!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts