WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently decided to purchase a nice watch after a family trusted watch repairman informed me that most (and in my case) designer watches are crap with Japanese parts. He introduced me to the most handsome watch I've ever seen, a Breitling. He wanted 2K for it, which to a fresh college graduate that knows nothing of watches, seemed nuts. After searching online I found a similarly handsome watch and bought it. It is a B53011.
Here's the issue:
The time will stop but the chronograph works just fine. For the most part.
This watch will start ticking and telling time when ever it feels like it and will quickly stop working again.
Sometimes the chrono will default to the most random spot (instead of the typical noon position) this I can change and I do, but more frequently than I think I should.
I've been to their site which gives handy info on servicing and understand that the costs are typical with higher end watches and will eventually have this done by them.
Before I send it to them I wanted to hop on here and see if anyone has ever had this issue before.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Not to sound too simplistic, but if you got it used it may need a new battery. From the reference number you gave it seems to be a quartz chronograph, correct?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's correct it is Quartz.
I forgot to mention, the gentleman who sold me the watch claimed a new battery had just been put in. I'm afraid to pop the back open (it may need a special key? I don't know).

The fact that I don't know this watches history or who wore it or how they wore it, tells me the smart thing to do it to have it services by Breitling regardless. I'm sure I'll stick another battery in there before sending it off just for kicks, even though I read they'll trash it and replace it again anyways.
I was mostly afraid that it may be a faulty movement. But I'm a clueless brainless newb in the watch world. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! And if it were a dead battery, would the chrono still work? Because it does. Another reason why I think it may not be the battery.

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
The battery may just be tired and a fresh one will fix things. The watchy might well have fitted a battery that was new to the watch but he has had in stock for a while.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
It might be a good idea to post some pictures of the watch. I'm just thinking since you don't know anything about its history, ownership, etc.....

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
^agreed.. he may be a trusted family watch repairmen but it's possible he unintentionally (maybe?) sold you a fake.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's where you can feel free to voice your opinions lol, but I bought this from, dare I say it, eBay.
The seller accepted returns and had a great history. I felt positive about it. Had my guy look at it and verified its authenticity. It was maybe a couple of weeks into owning it that it started to stop and start telling the time when it felt like it. I'll post a front and back pic here in a sec.

Ps thanks for helpin' out guys. This is a learning experience for sure.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Let me see if I've got this: You saw a Breitling in person that was $2k and thought that was nuts. But, you like the idea of a nice watch. So, you hop on eBay and buy a different Breitling. You get it, and it doesn't work properly. Now you're flummoxed.

If the seller accepts returns I'd try like hell to send it back. If you don't mind sharing, what did you pay for this watch?

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
Maybe I am slow, but why are there 2 main second hands? One is signed and one has a red tip.
It's quite a complicated movement. ETA 251.262 - 27 Jewels, 5 stepper motors and 7 hands including a split seconds chrono.

If it's faulty it might be more economical to replace it rather than repair it. The OP could get one here for $130:

ETA 251.262 Quartz Watch Movements

You could ask your watchmaker for a quote to install it, or alternatively, send it off to Breitling and they will inspect it and provide you with an estimate.

Or, return it for a refund if possible. Firstly I would find an operating manual (from any brand) and make sure you're using the functions properly, but if it's stopping randomly and the chrono hands are not resetting it's not a good sign.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a breitling on ebay from an okay seller on ebay. I was very happy about the ourchase. When i received it the crown was way too stiff and the band was broken. Seller refused to return the item back as he said he was selling it as is. But hey he never me tioned anything regarding the band and crown so ebay took care of the problem for me. Provided me with a shipping label and refunded me the money. Hope this helps. By the way this was my 3rd breitling and the first from EBAY. Hope that helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts