WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you done it before? Would you recommend it? My main concern is buying a fake or something without a serial number. I really want the watch to come with the serial number intact, what are the chances of that? I'm looking towards buying a Seiko or something around there.

I'm new to watches so if there's anything I'm missing from buying off Amazon I should know please let me know anything.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Anything "shipped from and sold by Amazon" is safe.

I believe Amazon is an authorized dealer of Seiko, Citizen, Orient, Timex.

Any Tag Heuer you buy from them will have the serial number removed, and the warranty is offered through Amazon, not Tag. So a bit of a PITA there.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
I have purchased off of Amazon with good results on watches and many other items. Read the fine print. I believe you are protected from "fake" items by Amazon. You can always pay with a credit card, which gives you the ability to cancel the payment later if you are shipped a fake.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Any Tag Heuer you buy from them will have the serial number removed, and the warranty is offered through Amazon, not Tag. So a bit of a PITA there.
Over half-a-dozen Tag purchases on Amazon (me and other people), I've never seen this happen. I mean, it's always the Amazion warranty (which, frankly, it better than Tag's anyway), but I've never seen a removed serial number on any watch from Amazon. Is this something that consistently happens to people with purchases that are actually from Amazon itself?

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
The days of removed serial numbers are a thing of the past. That's what grey market dealers did years back. Really not a common practice any more.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I recently purchased a Tag that was shipped and sold from amazon and did have the serial number.

·
Banned
417 Posts
Happened to me about 2 years ago on a Tag Link I bought from Amazon.

Bought the watch, it came with the serial removed from the case back. AD refused to service it.

Maybe Amazon has changed since then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's awesome...So I can buy in confidence now.

Don't really see why I have a reason to head over to one of my local jewelry story and pay full price for a Seiko or something like that when I can look for deals online now even on watches, right? :)

Edit: Can someone confirm it comes with ALL original documents, papers, manuals, certificates, etc? AND the original box? I really like to have the original boxes.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I just bought a Laco from amazon.es. It is sold and shipped by Amazon.
However I have one concern: They list only by model number, not which model it is, I had to search which one I was getting.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I bought one watch from Amazon and it didn't have the warranty booklet which was to be expected since they are grey market dealers.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Edit: Can someone confirm it comes with ALL original documents, papers, manuals, certificates, etc? AND the original box? I really like to have the original boxes.
There are no guarantees when it comes to grey market, but Amazon has a decent return policy so if you're unhappy you can send it back.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have bought several watches from Amazon. No problems and you can always send things back without questions. Reference a person that bought a Frederique Constant runabout auto movement for roughly $1,200 and upon arrival noticed the watch was not working and determined the battery was dead and was quite angry about it. So he promptly returned it to Amazon for a full refund. The review is still up. Meaning if you are not happy with your purchase even because you are stupid, Amazon will still take it back.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
It was a victorinox automatic. It isn't up to Amazon if they get the warranty booklet if they are a grey market for that brand. Whatever authorized dealer they got the watch from will decide if they take the warranty booklet out or not. Even if they include the booklet it doesn't mean the brand will honor it since it most likely won't have the dealer sign and stamp.

·
Premium Member
32,366 Posts
I have bought several watches from Amazon. No problems and you can always send things back without questions.
+1

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
while Amazon does sell some watches directly, a lot of watches are still being sold by a third party,

I would try and contact the seller directly as well and ask your questions

·
Registered
14,167 Posts
Amazon prices are a bit high these days.
Quite often higher than in the store itself.

·
Banned
417 Posts
I hope my previous comment didn't spook you.

I've purchased many watches from Amazon, and have only had positive experiences.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts