WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taking a Western Caribbean cruise with the family in a couple weeks. Stopping at the Cayman Islands, Cozumel Mexico, Mahogany Bay, Honduras, and Belize. Are there any good places to shop for watches here? We did the Southern Caribbean before and stopped at all the nice places there but I was in a different place in my life and didn't have the money to score nice deals - if they even existed.

I definitely feel that the uniformed American can be scammed but with a bit of knowledge from this forum and additional online readings, deals can be had. For all I know, they might not sell watches anywhere on these stops.

I do know the ships always have a nice stock of Invicta watches and really push sales on them and I know many people on here do not like them but if the deal is good enough (80% off retail?) I would probably bite.

As always, if you have a nice "beach/diver" for sale or suggestions let me know! I am in the market for a diver.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,760 Posts
Just so you know, that Invicta at "80% off MSRP" on the ship can probably be found on the internet for 90+% off. If you just want a souvenir of your trip, then buy it. If you're looking for a good deal, look elsewhere.

Not sure, but I'd suspect the same goes for buying watches at your ports of call. Why should they give you a deal when the next schmoe behind you will happily pay their asking price?

Without knowing the exact stops, it will be hard to find a true deal beforehand. Best thing you can do is research some of the watches you're interested in before the trip to see what constitutes a "good deal".

If you're buying as a reminder of a good trip, then I'd say spend what you're comfortable with. I've done that, and don't mind paying a little extra for a nice souvenir.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
how I would go about doing this,

1. research some watch prices online (focus on a few, unless you have the time to research on a lot of them),
but I would focus on a few known models; so if a shop is selling a particular model at 50% higher, chances are he's selling all his other watches at a higher price as well

2. I would definitely stay clear of the shops in the cruise ship ... unless you know for certain that you're getting the best deal

3. if your stops are all at known tourist attractions ... well ... not sure how great of a deal you'll be getting

but back to number 1, if you've done your research, you'll be better prepared,
and money's meant to be spent, 'getting the lowest, best possible deal' shouldnt really be the ultimate goal, your enjoyment is (but of course while still being wise with your budget)

have a safe and fun trip!

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts
Taking a Western Caribbean cruise with the family in a couple weeks. Stopping at the Cayman Islands, Cozumel Mexico, Mahogany Bay, Honduras, and Belize. Are there any good places to shop for watches here? We did the Southern Caribbean before and stopped at all the nice places there but I was in a different place in my life and didn't have the money to score nice deals - if they even existed.

I definitely feel that the uniformed American can be scammed but with a bit of knowledge from this forum and additional online readings, deals can be had. For all I know, they might not sell watches anywhere on these stops.

I do know the ships always have a nice stock of Invicta watches and really push sales on them and I know many people on here do not like them but if the deal is good enough (80% off retail?) I would probably bite.

As always, if you have a nice "beach/diver" for sale or suggestions let me know! I am in the market for a diver.

Thanks.
I've taken several cruises through the Caribbean including a Western cruise in early February. As with the other islands and ports there are plenty of watch and jewelry shops. They are all ready and willing to negotiate, but the final price is inevitably at or above what you would pay online. The only reason to buy a watch would be as a memento of a what I'm sure will be a fun cruise. And that's a perfectly good reason. So what you should do is decide on a very few watches that you are really interested in and price them online. Then shop some on the cruise. Yes, the ships devote the days at sea day to having one or another "sale". The prices and selection are nothing exciting.

On your Cozumel stop you may want to consider the excursion to Chichen Itza. We found the all day trip to be very enjoyable and informative.

edit: I don't know what your budget is for a diver so I'll start at the lower end. The Seiko Black Monster is well thought of and can be had for less than $200.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
I wouldn't even bother. You will not get a deal as good as the ones obtainable through grey market. Save the money for some lovely artwork that will remind you of this lovely trip long after it has passed -- or for some great meals at an out-of-the-way spot at your ports of call.

·
Registered
5,258 Posts
On your Cozumel stop you may want to consider the excursion to Chichen Itza. We found the all day trip to be very enjoyable and informative.
I second that recommendation. My wife and I went there during our vacation in Cancun three years ago. Beautiful, scenic, and historical to say the least. You will get plenty of lovely photos there. We also visited Tulum, which is even more-beautiful.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've taken several cruises through the Caribbean including a Western cruise in early February. As with the other islands and ports there are plenty of watch and jewelry shops. They are all ready and willing to negotiate, but the final price is inevitably at or above what you would pay online. The only reason to buy a watch would be as a memento of a what I'm sure will be a fun cruise. And that's a perfectly good reason. So what you should do is decide on a very few watches that you are really interested in and price them online. Then shop some on the cruise. Yes, the ships devote the days at sea day to having one or another "sale". The prices and selection are nothing exciting.

edit: I don't know what your budget is for a diver so I'll start at the lower end. The Seiko Black Monster is well thought of and can be had for less than $200.
Thanks for the info. We have 2 little ones (3yrs and 1 yr) so long excursions are tough at this point. Not complaing, just the truth. We are going to swim with the dolphins in Cozumel and see what else we can do for the kiddos.

For a budget.....up to $500 realistically but tell me someone who had a $500 max budget and stuck to it. Haha

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I wouldn't even bother. You will not get a deal as good as the ones obtainable through grey market. Save the money for some lovely artwork that will remind you of this lovely trip long after it has passed -- or for some great meals at an out-of-the-way spot at your ports of call.
Not necessarily. I would advise to speak with the ship's Port and shop consultant for added savings, etc.

Kirk Freeport and Little Switzerland are some of my favorite watch stops in the Caribbean. In St Thomas you don't pay sales tax and the retail in some brands is already discounted 15-20% off compared to mainland US prices.

Shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Thanks for the info. We have 2 little ones (3yrs and 1 yr) so long excursions are tough at this point. Not complaing, just the truth. We are going to swim with the dolphins in Cozumel and see what else we can do for the kiddos.

For a budget.....up to $500 realistically but tell me someone who had a $500 max budget and stuck to it. Haha
Cruising with small kids. Been there done that. Not until they are out of diapers, potty trained, and can speak and eat what everybody else is eating, my advice is to just enjoy the cruise. Sleep, eat and sleep in that order. Anything else you can get to do is an added bonus. This is just quality time with the family and away from it all.

Enjoy! May I ask what Cruise Line are you going with?

·
Premium Member
71,306 Posts
It's not just Americans that can get a raw deal. From what I've read there are no red-hot deals to be had but if you decide to get a momento be sure to know your prices and negotiate hard.

·
Registered
36,311 Posts
Your wife is an absolute Saint for even considering taking two toddlers on a ship. Only advantage is (once on board) it is probably better than a car trip with them.

Get her a souvenier as well.

A cruise would be the last place I would buy a watch or take two youngsters.

And pray your shipmates can handle little screamers.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts

Yes, fully understand and I am sure you will have fun. There have been several younger families on most of our cruises. I really enjoy seeing and hearing kids and their families have a good time at the pool, etc.

Take a look at the Seiko mechanical divers, especially the Black Monster.

John, whose dream cruise is on Disney with grown kids and grand kids.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Grand Cayman is Nirvana as far as watch shopping goes. You can hit numerous, luxury A.D.s within walking distance of getting off the ship.

As far as deals go, I've never found there to be any significant difference in pricing versus an American A.D., and negotiating them down is a bit of a crap shoot. They pitch the fact that it's tax free, but that only means you don't pay sales tax in Grand Cayman. When you return home you are required to declare your purchase, and, depending on the amount of your personal exemption and the amount of the purchase, you may be required to pay some duty and tax on your return home. Frankly, I find it better to simply buy watches at home and negotiate with your local A.D., or buy grey market (which will be lower, by far, than what you can get a watch for in the Caribbean). The biggest advantage of watch shopping in Grand Cayman is that you can see practically every dream watch, at every price level, that you could ever want... and they're all within a short walking distance of each other. It's a 'drool-fest' whenever I visit.

Here's a LINK to the various watch stores and jewellers in Grand Cayman. If you're walking, then the ones to hit are Kirk Freeport at Bayshore Mall, Island Companies/Island Time at the Island Plaza (below Margaritaville), and Magnum (beside Blue Steel... just kidding). All around that same area are a number of other jewellery stores that sell a variety of other, lower price point, brands. If you get up to Caymana Bay (a great place to shop and eat about 10 mins north of Georgetown), check out The Mansion.

Check out this older thread about watch shopping in Grand Cayman, too.
https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/high-end-watches-cheaper-grand-cayman-828969.html

·
Registered
5,258 Posts

Well, don't bother with Chichen or Tulum. I have a two-year-old and he could barely stand the dolphin swimming that we did while in Cabo last year. [We are adding to our pain and his slight discomfort next month by taking him on our cruise to the Bahamas.] Stick to the ports and you should be fine.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Enjoy the cruise and forget watches. Yes, Carribean has a ton of ADs and many great luxury watches for sale. But with $500 budget, you won't be able to get any of them. And on the ship they'll have "boutiques" pushing crap like Invicta. And if you spend $500 on that Invicta, you'll be overpaying by $420 or so.

I recall some recent Invicta sales, where you could get 3 for price of one, and each was already discounted by 90%. effectively 97% off MSRP - that is all you need to know about paying for invicta at a Cruiseship store.

Take the $500 and get some nice excursions on the ship. Or pick up a nice diver and have $ left over. I'd recommend any of these:
Casio MDV106 ($40), Seiko Monster ($190), Seiko Turtle ($250), Bernhardt Binnacle ($260), Chr Ward Trident 300 (quartz - $490)

Reactions: Sevenmack

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Why would that be?

A cruise ship is the perfect place for a family vacation with small kids. Everything is there and done for you.

We took our then 2 year old on an Alaska inner passage 7-Day cruise and we all had a great time + great memories.

Your wife is an absolute Saint for even considering taking two toddlers on a ship. Only advantage is (once on board) it is probably better than a car trip with them.

Get her a souvenier as well.

A cruise would be the last place I would buy a watch or take two youngsters.

And pray your shipmates can handle little screamers.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Watch shopping in Grand Cayman, Georgetown, is a lot if fun.
The prices are a little cheaper than full price at local AD, but who cares. You will cherish a watch that you bought on vacation I the BWI.

Have a a good time!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We went on a cruise out of Baltimore last year (5hr drive to port) to the Bahamas and Grand Turk. We never got off the ship thanks to hurricane Joaquin. So we sailed around and ate for a week. Carnival have us money back of that trip and money off another trip. All in all not a bad deal. The cruise itself was great with the kids. They loved the food and shows.

I'm slightly afraid of traveling to and from the ship. I have ZERO trust in airlines.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,340 Posts
Why would that be?

A cruise ship is the perfect place for a family vacation with small kids. Everything is there and done for you.

We took our then 2 year old on an Alaska inner passage 7-Day cruise and we all had a great time + great memories.
+1
I enjoy seeing and hearing kids when we are cruising.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts