WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased a watch through shopmyexchange.com? It is for US military and I was wondering if this website would be grey market, AD, or something different altogether? I am looking at purchasing an Oris Aquis and at just under $1500 this seems to be the best price for new anywhere around. I don't suspect a site like this would be selling fakes I just can't find any information about warranty.

The other questions I had is the reference number instead of ending in "PEB" as on the Oris website ends in "MB". Could this be something internal just to the seller or is there a possibility it's actually different?

Thank you for the help

Links for reference:

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
AAFES is an authorized dealer for military, retirees, and their dependents. I have gotten two watches from there.

Its how I got an Omega Seamaster that would cost close to 5600 after taxes for 3300, and a Hamilton Khaki Field Mechanical for 300.

They even used to be a Rolex AD...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! Can I chock up the discrepancy in the number to them simply being a large retailer of everything under the sun and not strictly a watch dealer?

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Thank you so much! Can I chock up the discrepancy in the number to them simply being a large retailer of everything under the sun and not strictly a watch dealer?
I think they, for the most part, just use the manufacturer reference number then add a bit more. I never thought much about it, to be honest.

Reactions: nbeck21

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,008 Posts
Has anyone purchased a watch through shopmyexchange.com? It is for US military and I was wondering if this website would be grey market, AD, or something different altogether? I am looking at purchasing an Oris Aquis and at just under $1500 this seems to be the best price for new anywhere around. I don't suspect a site like this would be selling fakes I just can't find any information about warranty.

The other questions I had is the reference number instead of ending in "PEB" as on the Oris website ends in "MB". Could this be something internal just to the seller or is there a possibility it's actually different?

Thank you for the help

Links for reference:

I have looked at the Veterans administration website to purchase watches etc and the prices suck. VCS canteen service to be exact. I was looking a t Nixon watches and Casio. Everything looked to be full retail. I think the prices on the NIXON site were actually better.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
You've been a huge help, TY!
One thing to note, AAFES has a policy against buying from them and then turning right around and selling/trading it for profit. They somehow keep track of this and if caught people lose their privileges and possible other things happen. So, if one buys from them, should probably consider keeping it for a good chunk of time.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Reactions: StrangeQuark

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
AAFES is indeed an authorized dealer for the watches they sell, I bought my 1861 Speedmaster and Khaki Field Mechanical through them. It's the US government, no worries about getting fakes. One thing to note, is that while the warranty card will be stamped "AAFES" as the dealer, the date and serial/reference number will probably be blank. I just wrote them in, myself. I believe they carry Omega, Hamilton, Oris, and Longines. No new speedmasters in stock yet though.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
AAFES is indeed an authorized dealer for the watches they sell, I bought my 1861 Speedmaster and Khaki Field Mechanical through them. It's the US government, no worries about getting fakes. One thing to note, is that while the warranty card will be stamped "AAFES" as the dealer, the date and serial/reference number will probably be blank. I just wrote them in, myself. I believe they carry Omega, Hamilton, Oris, and Longines. No new speedmasters in stock yet though.
Mine has the year and month typed in. Same thing with the serial number I believe but I'd have to double check that.

And they carry those brands and many more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure which prices you saw that suck. I can only speak to the Aquis i'm looking at. They had a President's day sale which knocked the price down to just under $1500 shipped no tax. Watchmaxx currently is selling the same for 1540+ tax. For what I now know is from an AD, I think that's a really great price. I just have to wait for another sale.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing to note, AAFES has a policy against buying from them and then turning right around and selling/trading it for profit. They somehow keep track of this and if caught people lose their privileges and possible other things happen. So, if one buys from them, should probably consider keeping it for a good chunk of time.
Thanks for that! I'd be interested to know how they keep tabs on it. I certainly intended to buy and keep it for a long while but this will definitely be on my mind just in case something unexpectedly came up that peaked my interest.

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
Thanks for that! I'd be interested to know how they keep tabs on it. I certainly intended to buy and keep it for a long while but this will definitely be on my mind just in case something unexpectedly came up that peaked my interest.
Guessing somehow through serial numbers and warranty cards, I don't know. But people HAVE been found out, and I love it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I haven't bought through AAFES online until I wanted to look at watches again. I had a login account with AAFES, but somehow it no longer recognizes me. I've tried recovering my login and resorting to setting up a new account with no success.

·
Premium Member
9,008 Posts
I'm not sure which prices you saw that suck. I can only speak to the Aquis i'm looking at. They had a President's day sale which knocked the price down to just under $1500 shipped no tax. Watchmaxx currently is selling the same for 1540+ tax. For what I now know is from an AD, I think that's a really great price. I just have to wait for another sale.
Thats why AAFES does NOT suck...
I never said that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
shopmyexchange.com or AKA AFFES is for military, former military, and their dependents. It is not open to the public. I bought an Omega Seamaster about 4 months ago and traded it away to a dealer for several hundred more than what I paid. Omega has AFFES listed as an AD. So the warranty cards are fully stamped. I also bought an Oris about 1 year ago. I had it a few months and sold it for more than what I paid. Oris does NOT list AFFES as an AD. If you buy from AFFES you save on the sales tax and when they run specials you can save a lot more than the standard savings they normally have. I have found Thanksgiving time frame to be the best.

I guess if your buying a lot of watches and trying to flip them then you would raise a red flag. If your the normal guy buy and sell when time to change watches there is not a problem.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
24,498 Posts
I haven't bought through AAFES online until I wanted to look at watches again. I had a login account with AAFES, but somehow it no longer recognizes me. I've tried recovering my login and resorting to setting up a new account with no success.
Might need to call someone. Maybe they'd need to have authority to correlate you with DEERS. I forgot if I needed to give them an LES when I made an account or if it was my DD214.

·
Registered
898 Posts

Thank you for the help

Links for reference:

AAFES doesn't always have deals, but when they do it is generally tied to the Star card. I got my 005 Speedy from the site in 2019 for $3800 OTD, and then got $200 in gift cards for using my Star card.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples though. The two links you posted are for two different watches. The Aquis I've seen on there lately are NOT the new in-house movement. So $1500 isn't a huge bargain.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
AAFES doesn't always have deals, but when they do it is generally tied to the Star card. I got my 005 Speedy from the site in 2019 for $3800 OTD, and then got $200 in gift cards for using my Star card.

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples though. The two links you posted are for two different watches. The Aquis I've seen on there lately are NOT the new in-house movement. So $1500 isn't a huge bargain.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
AAFES regular sales price for a blue/silver/black Seamaster on bracelet is $4129.00 and no tax. That's $1071 less than MSRP before sales tax would also be added. In Utah, that would be end up around $5600. So, pretty much $1500 off...and that's everyday price.

Seems like a fine deal even if not on an AAFES sale. Yeah, not as good as the deals that pop up here and there. I got mine for around $3300. If I hadn't used the STAR, it would have been $3700.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts