WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I have had some recent success buying and selling some watches on this forum. I have zeroed in upon a watch that will become the anchor of my current collection after researching a lot of options. I'm not quite ready to spend the coin needed for a really high-end watch (but hopefully one day), so in the meantime, I've become hopelessly addicted to the Ocean7 LM-7.

I could probably save a few $$ by buying used, but suspect this will be a long-term purchase (until I flip it for a reissue Omega PloProf LOL). What do you view as the benefits of purchasing a dive watch new vs. the risk of buying used? I would have more peace of mind knowing I was the only one who had worn the new one, plus warranty and service benefits, but trading this off in my mind considering the cost savings.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
In your particular postiton wanting an Ocean7 LM-7, I would stick to buying new. From what I've heard, Ocean7 does not honor transfer of warranty to second hand buyers. Plus, it seems like this watch will be a keeper for you, so the warranty would be a good thing to have. One risk you take with buying used is that you really do not know the true condition of the watch and need to rely on the honesty (or lack thereof) of the seller. I would play it safe and buy new. I just received a new Zinex Trimix from Joe and could not be happier with the transaction. :)

·
Sponsor
862 Posts
To me, it depends entirely on the price difference and condition... I'm surprised at how many sellers advertise a $1000 watch at only a $50-100 discount from new; in those cases, I'd much rather buy from the manufacturer. In some cases, though, I've gotten great deals on watches through forum sales, and have had very good luck with condition and transactions/sellers.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Personally, my collection would be nowhere near where it is now if I had stuck to buying only new. In general, I keep a pretty tight budget with a limited amount of it marked "expendable", so if I can save a few hundred bucks on a purchase, it usually is the difference between me being able to own the watch and not.

Additionally, it allows you to try out the watch without too much risk about whether or not you'll actually like it on your wrist. There were a fair number of watches that I've purchased that looked absolutely fantastic in photos, but just didn't wear right on my wrist. Buying used, at a discount, allows you to resell without too much loss, or even sometimes (if you catch a good deal) a small profit.

But along with that are all the cautions that you must take when buying things online. The two major rules you'll see repeated all the time are 1) "buy the seller", meaning reputation of the seller is often more valuable than the possible savings on that particular item, and 2) "if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is", which has not always held true, but generally is a correct assumption. Trust your instincts when you see those red flags.

However, if I were in it to just buy one keeper, or it was for a special occasion, etc.. I always purchase from an AD. The watch my wife purchased for me for our wedding day, though probably cheaper 2nd hand, was obviously purchased from an AD. All the rest of my watch purchases, though, are 2nd hand. And I haven't regretted it one bit.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Re: Purchasing watches new vs. used? Your thoughts?

Most of the time I would go for the used version. You just get more for your money that way. The same watch for 100's less. If you do buy used however you always want to buy the seller. If you go with someone you trust, then you shouldn't have to worry about the true condition of the watch. I've purchased 30 or so used watches in the last couple of years including my 2 Omegas and Oris, and haven't had any issues yet. But it also doesn't bother me knowing that someone else has worn the watch before me. If that is going to bug you, or the fact that you didn't put all those swirlies on the bracelet, then you may want to go new. Best of luck in your decision.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
I never buy a better/decent watch assuming it will need warranty service so I couldn't care less about that aspect.
If you buy from respected sellers with very good and current pictures you'll be fine 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with most people here...for the most part, I will try to find a used one before I look for a new one - but like previously mentioned, buy the seller, not the watch..

With that said, and you have either a very reputable seller or someone you thoroughly trust (after having done your due diligence - its not easy, you gotta work hard for your savings), to buy from, the benfits usually far outweigh the negatives.

A reputable seller/trusted seller will describe the watch exactly as is - from my past experience, its typically on the conservative side too so I've always been pleasantly surprised by the condition - both cosmetically, and functionally.

In addition to that, I dont mind buying a watch that has a scratch or two on it from normal wear as this is something that is going to happen. Its not as painful to scratch your watch the second or third time in comparison to the first time - good god the first scratch on a new watch is PISSING o| - used, you dont go through that pain - at least I dont

Theres a lot going on in my mind about this..I'll come add more later :0)

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I have had excellent experiences buying used from people on this forum. I can save several hundreds of dollars buying gently used and the watches are frequently in better shape than described. I have bought a few of my watches new, the vast majority have been "gently used". I have gotten to know some great people this way and can sample alot more watches in this way. If the watch does not do it for me, I can usually sell for about what I purchased the watch for.:-!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I have a few criteria to buy a new watch:

- hard to find in the used market - mostly Japan-only watches like Grand Seiko's or Campanolas - I'll buy those new.

- the used prices are too close to new - ex. I was looking at a Daytona and the prices are so close to new, I'll buy it new.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I got started in this hobby by collecting vintage watches, so obviously I got comfortable with the concept of wearing a used watch very early in the game. When I started buying newer watches, it was very easy for me to shop for used watches. I look for watches in good to excellent condition, based on the TZ grading scale - and I rely on the seller's reputation, as others here have suggested. But I'm prepared for the occasional disappointment too. Not everyone reads that TZ grading scale the same way - even though it seems pretty cut and dried to me.

So, since I have received watches that were not quite what I expected, I have become proficient with sand paper, jeweler's files and a Dremel tool. If a watch has a few dings or scratches that somehow escaped the seller's notice, I can remove them pretty easily. But I practiced my refinishing techniques on Seiko Fives before I tackled a Speedmaster. I'm not crazy! :-d

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
There are a few variables in your situation.

1. ocean7 no transfer of warranty.

2. the price of the new watch vs what the used one is being sold at.

3. condition of used watch.

I have bought a seiko monster and a stowa prodiver both used and were happy with both. Got 2 great watches for way under retail.

That being said in the case of the watch you want I would buy new because of the warranty issue, and also if you do a quick search of the LM-7 they have had a few issues that are covered under warranty so I would go new. Personally I think it is crap when any company does not tranfer a warranty but that is just me so...... well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, sorry I kind of derailed....

long story short, if it is an ocean7 i would proably buy new.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I wouldn't buy an Ocean 7 at all (new or used) if they don't offer a transfer of warranty.

That's just wrong - the only reasons to do this is to hinder aftermarket sales or if you don't believe your watches will stand up to normal use. I wouldn't support them.

Too many other manufacturers who want to take care of their customers.

- Mike

·
Registered
856 Posts
Has everything to do with the seller new or used, I've bought two relatively high priced at the time Omega watches new from a local AD, both of which had problems I was not able to work these out to my satisfaction with either Omega or the support I received from AD I bought them from after problems arose. Also has everything as well to do with what price point sandbox your playing in some models take a pretty good depreciation hit and you can get some great deals being the second owner. You can get toasted either way, buying it new you can maybe scream lemon law and maybe get satisfaction in time, most private sellers that really care about their rep will make things right quicker in some cases than going through the bureaucracy of a factory system.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
I've owned 2 O7's. I bought one new and got one used. Both had QC issues that would fall under a warranty. The one I bought new was fixed under warranty and returned with no issues. (great customer service). The used one I am stuck to repair at my own cost should I choose to as the warranty is non transferrable. <|

I have purchased 90% of my watches used. I'd be more inclined to buy a used Omega, Rolex, or other true SWISS/German made watch used than I would a Chinese manufactured watch that is assembled in Switzerland. You get what you pay for. ~ David

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
If you can buy an LNIB or Mint watch at a good discount then buy used and of course make sure you buy the seller....

For more expensive pieces I tend to buy new or pre-owned from an AD--it's just a comfort thing....

Mike:-!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts